It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Busy Signal....forgotten things from recent past...

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I've got a copy of platoon on VHS upstairs with a price tag of £75 on it.
This was from the days when you could only buy films if you had a video shop.

Also when the IRA were the only terrorists you'd heard of.
edit on 26/5/2015 by UKWO1Phot because: add IRA

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 09:38 PM
link   
The bane of my childhood:

Weed eaters weren't even a dream...... trimming grass with these things was a sure bet for blisters and the occasional blood blister from pinching the crap out of your hand with those things...

I truly despised using those old metal shears back in the 60's as a child.... being the only boy, I also got the pleasure of cutting the grass.
edit on R382015-05-26T21:38:57-05:00k385Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

edit on R402015-05-26T21:40:12-05:00k405Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

edit on R452015-05-26T21:45:07-05:00k455Vpm by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 09:45 PM
link   
My avatar
The Indian head test pattern. We would see that when the tv stations signed off for the night. I don' think they even sign off any more and turn into shopping channels. I can remember when we had three cannels that slowly grew.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 10:13 PM
link   
i remember paid programming late at night.
it sucked bad

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 10:35 PM
link   
a reply to: fernalley

The test pattern!
And the SIgn-off that preceded it each night.

This one was always my favorite. Been looking for it on youtube on and off for a while and finally found it.
Not the national anthem as typically used..Something different and inspiring!

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 10:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: RickinVa
The bane of my childhood:

Weed eaters weren't even a dream...... trimming grass with these things was a sure bet for blisters and the occasional blood blister from pinching the crap out of your hand with those things...

I truly despised using those old metal shears back in the 60's as a child.... being the only boy, I also got the pleasure of cutting the grass.

My dad was an equal opportunity offender. Only with him, the older you were, the more "responsible" you were and the more jobs you were given around the house. I enjoyed being "Little Mom", Lawn Mower, dish washer, baby bather, Tutor, cook, cleaner, you name it. I don't mind it once in a while, but when they rely on you for everything, it makes you wonder why parents bother having kids if they're just going to dump them on the eldest. I was the "responsible" one since I was 5.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 11:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Oh, fun thread! Responding before reading past the OP, so something might get repeated. Busy signals, really??? Sheesh, we still have a home phone. But, I guess with voicemail, and cells, it's dying out.

How about rewinding? "Be kind, rewind" is a familiar phrase to many of us, that the kids mostly don't understand.

Records.......went to cd's, and now more to MP3s and the like.

Rotary phones, and stretchy coiled up phone cords! Could kids today even USE a rotary phone?

Cameras with film.

Weirdly, I can't seem to find emergency candles. Maybe my area? No idea why! It's all decorative and scented now.

There are other things, but they are more how we act that specific stuff. Such as, telling the kids to go play a game, and, in a house full of board games, the first thing they ask if they can play is video games! Or conversation, because everywhere you go, people are plugged in to some electronic device or another. I was sitting outside with the youngest earlier, and that's something virtually NO ONE seems to do anymore, and this is a small town!

I am starting to feel old.....

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 11:58 PM
link   
This is not techy stuff, but when did the last milkman deliver his last bottle of milk? Be forewarned, this is not about my mother. Mkay?

edit on KWed, 27 May 2015 00:04:10 -0500am3120151040 by Kratos40 because: punk you ation

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 12:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: vonspurter

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

I asked the two still up, almost 12, and 13, and the 13-year-old asked, "What's the top thing?", to which the other said "It's a CD". She had the right idea, anyway. They had no idea of the connection! Classic!!!

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 12:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

I have used outhouses!!! I remember wringer washers, too, because my granddaddy had one. He also had a party line, and a B&W television. Oh, and an ice box, as in, it really took a big block of ice!

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 12:05 AM
link   
a reply to: RickinVa

Aren't those sheep shears?

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 12:08 AM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

I remember the days when we used to use dried, used up, corn cobs to wipe our butts. Good times those days.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 12:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: the_philth
Do you youngsters...

... or this?

I do, in both cases, but I am no youngster, either! Miss the second, and had the first in my first car. Cheaper than the other fix, lol!

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 12:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel

I remember those AOL CDs...they were everywhere

I had a couple of those AOL 3.5 floppy disks leveling the leg on a work table years back. Showed up in mail every week it seemed.

I made a baby mobile out of them!

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 12:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

My sisters used to link pull tabs together to make long chains. They had them hanging all around their bedrooms.

My friends and I did that in high school! Huge overlapping chains, all around our rooms! Mostly from soda cans sold at the school, too!

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 12:43 AM
link   
It looks like "recent past" to some of you was 30 years ago, LOL!

I remember when it wasn't too many years ago that my cell phone would "drop" calls in midstream. Hasn't happened to me at all in the last 3 years or so...even in rural areas of the Midwest.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 12:58 AM
link   

On the topic of telephones

How about these oldies that the youngins wouldn't know or understand.......

edit on 27-5-2015 by dianashay because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Leaving the front door unlocked. Not from my times, but from Dad's time. During my time we had a locked screen door.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 01:43 AM
link   
I actually had one of these moments myself recently...sorta..

This was a couple of months ago now, I bought a cheap 4wd, an old SWB patrol. Awesome little beast, I took it down the beach to test its 4 wheel driving capability, I get down there, put it into 4wd and got about 20m before bogging down. Wasn't happy! I got out to let air out of the tyres and dig myself out. It's then I spotted that it had manual hubs to lock 4wd in!

Felt like a twit that I forgot all about them because I was so used to auto hubs in newer 4wds.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Gay marriage used to be illegal. Marijuana used to be illegal. Suppressors used to be illegal.

One thing that hit me kind of hard the other day was that I was smoking an e cig and reading my iPad instead of using a pipe and holding a book.

I'm 30 and just learned how to use a p 38 can opener.

Can't remember the last time I saw someone with a patch on clothing that wasn't there to make a statement.

Metal garbage cans.

Ordering things out of a catalog and having no idea when they would show up.

Looking up books at the library by their card. The library. Books.

Anti skip discman that still skipped.

Being able to start a conversation by asking a question.

Road maps.

Those little cassette tapes in the answering machine.

Businesses being closed on holidays.

Rolling up car windows manually.

Being able to talk to someone when you called a business.

Bottle rockets.

Gas cans that didn't have some stupid pump thing - seriously WTF is it for? You have to pull it back and slide it, never works and gets gas all over. It is not freaking safer.

Merry go rounds. Real swings. Real slides.

Bicyclists knowing their place.

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join