It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Busy Signal....forgotten things from recent past...

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Here in the UK up until sometime in the 1980s we had early closing.One day of the week (Wednesday in my town) all the neighbourhood and some of the town centre shops would shut at lunch time for the rest of that day.Most shops (including some of the smaller town centre ones) also shut for lunch,and on Sunday afternoon the only things open were main road petrol stations,if you wanted to buy anything useful on a Sunday afternoon,tough you had to to wait until Monday.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 05:54 PM
link   

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 05:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Logarock

I had the opportunity to use and old dial phone a few years ago. Guy still had one hanging on the wall and ready to go.

My parents had two dial phones in their room I was in love with and wanted to keep when they passed, but when they divorced my stepmother sold them at a yard sale. I couldn't get them in time.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 06:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Imagewerx
Here in the UK up until sometime in the 1980s we had early closing.One day of the week (Wednesday in my town) all the neighbourhood and some of the town centre shops would shut at lunch time for the rest of that day.Most shops (including some of the smaller town centre ones) also shut for lunch,and on Sunday afternoon the only things open were main road petrol stations,if you wanted to buy anything useful on a Sunday afternoon,tough you had to to wait until Monday.

Here in the small towns, we call that "rolling up the sidewalks".

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 06:11 PM
link   
a reply to: the_philth

We found on of those on the ground near the house about a month a ago. Almost like finding a fossil.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 06:18 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

And I remember my dad carrying a 'church key' (can/bottle opener) to open beer cans when we were fishing.... before they invented pull tab cans.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 06:18 PM
link   

I remember those pull tabs! I can't remember the last time I saw one. Then, there are the returnable bottles.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 06:19 PM
link   
The other day I read a manual for something that suggested using a SCART, I have loads of old SCART leads stored in boxes of leads but never use them since the superior HDMI. Thankfully I got the device to work with HDMI and the SCART wasn't needed.

I recall the day when they were rather new technology.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 06:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
a reply to: roadgravel

And I remember my dad carrying a 'church key' (can/bottle opener) to open beer cans when we were fishing.... before they invented pull tab cans.

Oh yeah. I know that one. Still have a couple around here, just in case.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 06:35 PM
link   
In the UK there used to be half pences and £1 notes, which are still used in Scotland and there wasn't a 20p coin, I recall the day those appeared then the £1 coin then the £2 coin. I also recall as a child some places still accepting old money though new money appeared the year I was born.

My mum was a housewife and every day as a child I would accompany her to the local small town shops to buy fresh food, from the fruit and veg shop, the place where the old ladies used a cheese wire and sold biscuits from large glass counters, butchers, fishmongers and then the bakers. The haberdashers for wool and gloves etc, the ironmongers for paraffin lamps and heaters which was needed for the obligatory power cuts of the 70's, the family card games round the candles and lamps, the wooden framed tv with metal slider controls, the radio on the stereo player that played vinyl. The corded phone and manual round dial. My great gran's stone outhouse with a wooden clothes washing dolly and a pair of outdoor toilets that were used until the 50's.
edit on 26-5-2015 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 07:03 PM
link   

back in 70's the middle school i was in sold sodas out of vending machines, they made cans that had those kinda tabs, but that had two notches cut on the side of the tang into the bottom of the ring.

we used to break the tang off and slide them into the notches and shoot them at one another in the class room. use to piss the teachers off something fierce.

here i found a can with the tabs i was talking about.

better picture

edit on 26-5-2015 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-5-2015 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 07:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
a reply to: neformore

I remember those AOL CDs...they were everywhere. Buy a McDonalds meal? Get an AOL CD. Grocery store? Get an AOL CD. Every magazine you bought had an AOL CD.

When we launched AOL 4.0 in 1998, AOL used ALL of the world-wide CD production for several weeks. Think of that. Not a single music CD or Microsoft CD was produced during those weeks. I still remember hand delivering the Golden Master to Lisa in Marketing.

When people complained about receiving AOL CDs even though they already had an AOL account, Steve Case would ask, "don't you have a friend you could give it to?"

Source

That's just insane!

Anyone remember these though?

Laserdisc!

I think mine is in a closet somewhere. My first disk was White Men Can't Jump

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 08:12 PM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

My sisters used to link pull tabs together to make long chains. They had them hanging all around their bedrooms.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 08:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

I can remember a couple things:

1. Using a floppy to store documents because it was the only thing available.

2. Playing with Microsoft Paint, back when it was "cool".

3. Getting my first cassette player.

4. Playing the demo's that came with most Windows versions (anyone remember Hover, Dark Orbit, or Blasterball?).

5. Using an old wooden metronome to keep in pace.

6. Playing pixel games on cellphones with antennas.

7. Getting interrupted while playing a game because of Dial-up.

And, as a bonus - Being able to hide content on the parents' PC by simply marking the folder as "hidden"

-foss

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 09:03 PM
link   
People having fun, like this.The world has moved on.

Oh, and MST3K. I dearly miss that.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Hmmm, I don't recall seeing a VCR being posted. I have two and boxes and boxes of movies. My ex gf has my old floor model tv. I have a pile of old stuff kicking around here that I have saved/rescued.

Growing up, we had three channels, party lines could still be found but not common.I learned to cook on a woodstove with my great grandmother.

How about that little adapter you had to have to make your vcr work with older tv's? Or Rabbit ears!!!.

I have a few old cameras here that I have used when I was younger but haven't used in ages.

Our house was heated by a coal stove. Shoveling that stuff into the bin/house sucked!!!!

Walking to school was perfectly acceptable. So was your friends parents kicking your ass if they caught you up to no good.

I remember when my mom brought home our first computer, the Timex Sinclair. I and my brother used that things for hours and hours.

Or the first Atari system.

Going to meet your friends and knowing everyone would be hanging out at the little corner store, playing arcade games in the back room.

Or the old coke machine outside.

Some of my friends growing up, their houses still had outhouses.

Hell, the year before I started HS, you could still smoke IN school.

I have, but don't use an few old rotary phones around here somewhere.

Leaving the house asap, whether on a weekend morning or right after school and not coming back until it was dark, or later if you were willing to tempt the fates ( or my mother in my case ). Kids now could rarely pull something like that. Parents have to know whhere they are all times, call/text every 15 minutes kinda thing.

The strap in school!!! Imagine a teacher or a principal trying that stuff now!!!

8-tracks in the car. Oh and cb's, almost everyone had one.

Cops knew you're name and not for the wrong reasons. Oh and they took you home when you got caught causing trouble because your mother/father was a way worse punishment and so much less paperwork than fining you for for being drunk or stealing chocolate bars or something.

having to wait weeks or more for the record/cassette you ordered from Sam the Record Man to come in.

Man, so many other things kids today will never know or understand.

That's neither good not bad, just is what it is.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Anyone remember these things?

The Zip drive is a medium-capacity removable floppy disk storage system that was introduced by Iomega in late 1994. Originally, Zip disks launched with capacities of 100 MB, but later versions increased this to first 250 MB and then 750 MB.

Wikipedia

100 megabytes! Wahoo!

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 09:25 PM
link   
i remember getting the weekly tv guide in the sunday paper and leafing though each day to find out what was on and when...scheduling what i was going to watch.
major bummer when 2 things were on at the same time on different channels and i had to make that decision of what to watch.

writing checks
writing letters

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 09:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Somebody I knew got a laserdisc player and I laughed. He asked what was so funny and I told him that:
1. There were very few movies available for it (at the time).
and
2. Something newer and better would be coming out soon. DVD players came out not long after and his player was obsolete.

Yes, but it's one of the only ways to watch the original Star Wars as close to what was in theatres when they first came out. They've edited and done all kinds of crap to the original movies since they were first in theatres in the late 70's. The only thing that was done to the laserdisc versions was some minor sound editing.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 09:28 PM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

i was using limewire when kazaa was popular

remember tv repair shops?

these days electronics are disposable.
i remember loading the console tv up in the station wagon with my dad to take it to the repair shop

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join