It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should I become a pagan?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

Ok truce. I got worked up is all. Sorry.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 10:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified
a reply to: WarminIndy
Agreed. And the OP should also know what it means for a Christian to shake the dust from their feet. Right?

Yes, you are correct.

Notice that I never did say "You should become Christian" to the OP?

I was just flabbergasted as to why the OP would think paganism is cool because a movie had pagan themes, that is all. Then the OP says "Christians are crazy and Christians are dumb"....yes, this from someone who wants to be pagan because of a children's movie.

That's what I really wanted to point out. From an animated kid's movie.....

That to me is like someone saying Close Encounters of the Third Kind is evidence of a government coverup of UFOs. See my point?

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 11:03 AM
link   

I'm not saying that you have used the left hand to do harm, but you know it is allowable in Wicca.

No it isn't, really.

There is white magick and dark magick. Wiccans - modern American Wiccans - which system I, too, have practiced and studied do not "allow" dark magick. They believe whatever harm they do will come back on them in a sort of turbo-concentrate form - at least 3x as bad as any ill they project onto others.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I'd say yes. Give it a try. What's the worst that happens? It doesn't work out for you,and you come away a bit more knowledgeable about another religion?

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 11:14 AM
link   

I was just flabbergasted as to why the OP would think paganism is cool because a movie had pagan themes, that is all. Then the OP says "Christians are crazy and Christians are dumb"....yes, this from someone who wants to be pagan because of a children's movie.

Unfortunately, it is a nasty side effect of our present society.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Seems the OP has retreated to observation mode, or abandoned the thread.

I would like to make a reading recommendation to him or her:

Margot Adler is a journalist and has been an NPR correspondent for decades.
She wrote a book called

Drawing Down the Moon: Witches, Druids, Goddess-Worshippers, and Other Pagans in America Today

It is a fantastic introduction to America's paganism.

Another excellent read is

Paganism Today: Wiccans, Druids, the Goddess and Ancient Earth Traditions for the Twenty-First Century by Graham Harvey and Charlotte Hardman.

This one focuses more on European/British paganism.

This collection of views from a wide range of Pagans and academics reflects the diversity of traditions and thinking that characterize modern Paganism.

And lastly and perhaps most useful for the OP's context:

The New American Spirituality: A Seeker's Guide by Elizabeth Lesser.

There is a newer edition also, called
The Seeker's Guide: Making Your Life a Spiritual Adventure

Elizabeth Lesser is the founder of the Omega Institute for Holistic Studies - it is another resource for the OP to learn more and become informed about syncretic, American-style "non-Christian" spirituality.
edit on 5/26/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

Yup! Spiritual shopping.

"I want to become neopagan/buddhist/atrasu, not because I know anything about it, nor becauae it interests me, but because it looks cool and at least it's not Christian"

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs
Drawing down the moon was an eye-opening book for me many, many years ago. You will find few who know what the term means. Unfortunately, I got sidetracked into Christianity, and the rest is history.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: JUhrman

There is NOTHING WRONG with spiritual "shopping".
And the OP asked a "should I" question, and did not make an "I'm going to" or "I want to" declaration.

edit on 5/26/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Why not choose to be a freethinker, spiritual, ecclectic, acknowledging we have soul skills and psi but it doesnt have to be called magic, or rather if that word is brought to simple childlike joy and wonder, then the whole universe is magical but not in a box, no boxes, no isms, no groups that have to direct you to accept their whole package.

Just steer clear of whole packages go within and think for yourself and let your conscience, higher self and guides guide. Your Subconscious and Superconscious lead the way. In the Dolores Cannon regressions for example, a message they kept getting, the Subconscious and Soul talks to us all the time, but we don't listen.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Unity_99
That would require actual effort, and personal responsibility. Not a common trait in an instant society.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 12:18 PM
link   
The problem isn't so much "spiritual shopping" as not reading the labels. Teachers from many cultures have been coming to the US since the beginning of the last century to share their perspectives, cultures, and logics after being forced to know that of the West through colonialism. If someone resonates with Buddhism by all means they should study Buddhism. But they should do it not by buying some "Buddhism for Dummies" "How Nirvana can help you in Business and Love" type books but by reading books by academics, by practitioners, by teachers in age long lineages, and by asking questions, thinking, etc. Also read books on philosophy, logic, epistemology, and observe.. Read skeptics, arguments against etc..

Just as with conspiracy theories there are too many people who uncritically take the first thing they see or read and pass along faulty facts and false history. But there are plenty of sources in today's world to be a balanced well informed human being with a well thought out stance. One thing sometimes missed by academics and skeptics (who provide a great balance point against uncritical woo woo material,) is that people's search in the spiritual marketplace is sometimes initiated by unexplained experiences that neither conservative religion or science explains. So this search through the spiritual teachings which are available is a search for aspects of mapping reality that may help give guideposts to the seeker. We should know more about each others beliefs for a better world, not less.

What is missed however, is often an ethics that applies to the whole world. In the New Age spiritual market place, however also in science and religions like Christianity in the West, there is a tendency to not think about the consumerism that is destroying indigenous populations through exploitation throughout the planet. Spirituality is nothing without ethics unless you want to go the Crowley route but even that has a form of ethics, which I don't recommend. So Buddhism includes a critique of our destruction and use of natural resources and animals, Islam often critiques the West's exploitation of third world countries. Regardless of what spiritual path someone takes in the West, there should be a big picture ethical concern for humanity as a whole, and not a "how can I get blissed out, the love of my life, and a good job through yoga and mantras," mentality. The issues are complex.
edit on 26-5-2015 by AudioOne because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-5-2015 by AudioOne because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

that's a genius idea. I know lots of crazy "pagans" that are over opinionated to the point of being "dumb". the truth is that people are flawed and identify with their religion far to personally and it reflects on the religion itself.

maybe all paths lead to god/gods?

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: CB328

My advice is: If are you are unsure about anything, you're not ready and asking people on a forum is your proof.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 03:40 PM
link   

What's so wrong with spiritual shopping? Trying to find a place where you feel included, that speaks to you with people you want to spend time with? That's how people discover what fits them. You say she should read. I agree but read and experience too. Try it on. There's nothing wrong with shopping.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 03:48 PM
link   

They didn't give any impressions of what Wicca is. They are who they are and look like everybody. It's you who have this image locked in your brain. That image is all inclusive of how you view the entire institution. So be it. I've dealt with narrow minds before.
I'm actually not wiccan by tradition. I'm Strega. Now you can conjure up images of fat italian ladies dressed in black.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 03:52 PM
link   

PS That really doesn't have the slightest to do with real Wicca or their beliefs when it mentions Satan. Totally not a part of any wiccan tradition. Another Hugh mistake .

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 03:56 PM
link   

But I'm not recruiting anyone in this thread. Not anywhere did I recommend the pagan path. I only defended my own path when some tried to turn it into a fan club for tv shows like charmed.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 03:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
Seems the OP has retreated to observation mode, or abandoned the thread.

I would like to make a reading recommendation to him or her:

Margot Adler is a journalist and has been an NPR correspondent for decades.
She wrote a book called

Drawing Down the Moon: Witches, Druids, Goddess-Worshippers, and Other Pagans in America Today

It is a fantastic introduction to America's paganism.

Another excellent read is

Paganism Today: Wiccans, Druids, the Goddess and Ancient Earth Traditions for the Twenty-First Century by Graham Harvey and Charlotte Hardman.

This one focuses more on European/British paganism.

This collection of views from a wide range of Pagans and academics reflects the diversity of traditions and thinking that characterize modern Paganism.

And lastly and perhaps most useful for the OP's context:

The New American Spirituality: A Seeker's Guide by Elizabeth Lesser.

There is a newer edition also, called
The Seeker's Guide: Making Your Life a Spiritual Adventure

Elizabeth Lesser is the founder of the Omega Institute for Holistic Studies - it is another resource for the OP to learn more and become informed about syncretic, American-style "non-Christian" spirituality.

I think there is a vast difference in what some people classify as Classic Paganism, which I think Autumnwitch might be, and Gardenian Wicca.

My brother is always talking about fluffy bunnies and sparkle vampires. It seems that a lot of young people he has met that practices Wicca seem attracted to the Buffy the Vampire Slayer or Twilight type of Wicca.

It seems they either on Team Jacob or Team Edward...I've met young people like that. I don't understand it myself, why they are attracted to movies like that, to help them make a decision about what religious path they want to follow and not realizing that movies don't represent what really is in those paths.

People also don't realize that Appalachian Folk Magick is sometimes called HooDoo....and also it is where the term Mojo comes from.

Too much is pop culture and that's what I don't understand is why people who practice Wicca or any type of Paganism just doesn't sit them down and explain to the new initiates (? not sure the proper term would be) that what they see in the movies is not reality to the actual practice.

That's really what I wanted to say but it probably came out wrong because I had my mind on something else and didn't exercise the right words and feeling.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: AutumnWitch657

But I'm not recruiting anyone in this thread. Not anywhere did I recommend the pagan path. I only defended my own path when some tried to turn it into a fan club for tv shows like charmed.

I agree, people who think it is like Charmed really need to step back and see that TV shows like that are written by writers who might not even know about Wicca or Paganism.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join