It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should I become a pagan?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 08:22 AM
link   
No.

The OP has asked for advice and has not asked to be denigrated...

I am not here to be a judge to the OP, just answering his/her question as he/she has asked.

Just because the OP or yourself are not on the same intellectual or age wavelength does not give you the right to judge that person... Why not just simply answer his/hers question?

Warmest

Nibs

a reply to: WarminIndy

edit on 26-5-2015 by Nibbles because: Phrase changed

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 08:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: rockintitz
a reply to: CB328

Now I am a declared atheist, but I feel like I am missing a lot as far as having community and people to talk about religion/philosophy/spirituality, etc.

Atheists have no need for any of those things.

Maybe you are agnostic?

What is there about atheists that preclude them from being philosophical or spiritual? Neither of those require a belief in a deity.
edit on 5/26/2015 by Klassified because: tense

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 08:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified
What is there about atheism that precludes them from being philosophical or spiritual? Neither of those require a belief in a deity.

This is true, but unfortunately the most vocal atheists on the net have kind of ruined the perception about atheism, just like fundies did with religions.

In the minds of many people in America today; atheism is simply one of only two possible philosophical stances: superstitious christian or science-driven atheist.

Of course it's completely stupid and ignores the whole spectrum of philosophies and beliefs between these two extremes, but it's usually simpler for common people to think in extremes rather than considering the complexity of life, so it explains this.

And why OP himself said he doesn't consider atheists interested by spirituality nor philosophy:

Now I am a declared atheist, but I feel like I am missing a lot as far as having community and people to talk about religion/philosophy/spirituality

edit on 26-5-2015 by JUhrman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 08:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nibbles
No.

The OP has asked for advice and has not asked to be denigrated...

I am not here to be a judge to the OP, just answering his/her question as he/she has asked.

Just because the OP or yourself are not on the same intellectual or age wavelength does not give you the right to judge that person... Why not just simply answer his/hers question?

Warmest

Nibs

I see, thank you for your advise.

Now in answering the OP's question without denigrating, which you allowed the denigration of Christians by the OP, (double standard hypocrisy), what answers do you offer the OP? Do you wish the OP not be Christian, so therefore your answers are designed to promote the paganism he seeks?

Maybe you don't realize it, but by answering the OP with any type of paradigm, it merely enforces the paradigm of yours to him, thereby still conditioning into your paradigm.

Do you wish the OP follow any paradigm other than Christianity? If you do, and you give answers designed to endorse that, then you are in essence brainwashing the OP through conditioning by propping certain words and phrases that the OP can easily absorb.

Do you wish the OP to be anything other than Christian?

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: JUhrman

Of course it's completely stupid and ignores the whole spectrum of philosophies and beliefs between these two extremes, but it's usually simpler for common people to think in extremes rather than considering the complexity of life, so it explains this.

Indeed.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 08:49 AM
link   
a reply to: JohnFisher

Wiccans do not worship the earth . We do not worship the creation as you put it. We are stewards of the earth. We see the creator in everything. We know the creator is in everything.
Our worship is to God and Godess equally. There is no creation without thus duality.

There were many pagan holidays and customs that were adopted by early Christians . This made the required change over a bit easier for those raised in the old ways. There was no choice then. There was no religious freedom. The church was the government and the government was the church.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 09:05 AM
link   

You'd never get away with this crap if you changed the word pagan to Jew you know that right?' Why is it ok to slam pagans ? Why isn't that looked upon as religious hate talk.
edit on 5262015 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 09:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: AutumnWitch657
a reply to: JohnFisher

Wiccans do not worship the earth . We do not worship the creation as you put it. We are stewards of the earth. We see the creator in everything. We know the creator is in everything.
Our worship is to God and Godess equally. There is no creation without thus duality.

There were many pagan holidays and customs that were adopted by early Christians . This made the required change over a bit easier for those raised in the old ways. There was no choice then. There was no religious freedom. The church was the government and the government was the church.

My brother who is Celtic Pagan says the same thing you just did.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 09:08 AM
link   
a reply to: CB328

So, I gave up on Christianity years ago, mainly because of how crazy and or dumb so many Christians are. Now I am a declared atheist, but I feel like I am missing a lot as far as having community and people to talk about religion/philosophy/spirituality, etc.

Biblical Christianity is not necessarily defined by its adherents. I assure you that the average Christian is neither crazy nor dumb. Indoctrinated and ignorant of their own belief system in most cases, yes.
If you feel you are missing fellowship with like-minded people, then seek it out. You have made a choice to be as you are, or you wouldn't be. imho.

I am a firm believer that people should learn from the natural world and try to model our lifestyles and societies after nature, or at least not 100% against nature, and as far as I understand that's basically what pagans believe?

What is often referred to as pagan, has many beliefs and facets. Nature is simply one of those facets. Broaden your perspective and understanding by reading up, or talking to some people from the many sects of "paganism".

Also learning how the Christians copied so much from pagans while oppressing them at the same time makes me think they were scared of people knowing about paganism, so maybe it's truth they were trying to hide?

This is true, but most religions on earth are eclectic. Christianity is by no means unique in that sense.

I like when I recognize pagan themes in movies like Frozen but I've known some Wiccans and they can be pretty out there individuals which makes me nervous about trying to establish relations with pagans. Plus where I am located in Eastern Washington is very conservative and traditional, though I am planning to move back to my original part of the state which would be much less hostile to alternative religions.

"Out there" is a bit subjective. Is it not? I consider all religions "out there". Come to think of it, some of us atheists can be a bit "out there" too.

edit on 5/26/2015 by Klassified because: missed a word

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Well...

Then so be it in your humble and respected opinion.

Warmest

Nibs

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 09:11 AM
link   

You'd never get away with this crap if you changed the word pagan to Jew you know that right?' Why is it ok to slam pagans ? Why isn't that looked upon as religious hate talk.

I don't hate pagans. I just have a chuckle about the self-called wiccans/asatrus/pagans who are in fact shamelessly appropriating and bastardizing a culture that isn't their own, mixing it with all kind of new age crap.

Obviously there are real pagans/wiccans out there who are sincere and serious in their spiritual paths. Just not the majority.

The majority just wants to become a wiccan because they watched Charmed and thought it was cool.

Sorry if you consider criticism as hate. Nothing religious about this. I'm not religious. I just think wiccans and pagans in the US are funny and a way to be "spiritual" without being a Christian.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 09:12 AM
link   

You have no problem insulting people at all do you?

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Unfortunately, I have to slightly disagree because the anti-Semitism on ATS is horribly prevalent. They do get by with saying "Jewish conspiracy" and saying all kinds of really terrible things against the Jews...and they get by with i. Then when they are challenged they change it "Zionist conspiracy".

Ask the ones who believe there is Illuminati overlord masters.....is the group of accusation Jews or not? I only disagreed with the part about Jews, because there is more anti-Semitism on ATS than pagan bashing.

Now, if he had changed it to Muslim, then he would have been in trouble.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 09:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: WarminIndy

Now, if he had changed it to Muslim, then he would have been in trouble.

I wouldn't because there was no hate.

If you seriously deny that there are a bunch of fat ladies who like to claim to be wiccans ONLY because it makes them feel unique and special, and gives them the impression they can make magic spells and potions, sorry you haven't had a good look at reality.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Well he's a smart guy then lol.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 09:19 AM
link   

You have no problem insulting people at all do you?

I didn't insult you.

And if you think that was an insult, please reread the OP again.

Did you defend Christians against the charge made in the OP, but then when a Christian responds to it, you say the Christian is insulting? See, that kind of helps condition the mind of the OP toward a paradigm...doesn't it?

Now mind you, I didn't say "Be a Christian", I didn't say be anything, but please read responses from people. Step back and look objectively at the many answers. The OP likes paganism because of a movie...what does that tell you about the OP? Do you really think the OP is serious and would follow your Wicca when the OP said that Wiccans were...what did the OP say again about Wiccans???

See, the OP isn't serious.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Well he's a smart guy then lol.

"Pagan" was a word used by the Roman Christians to mock any religion that wasn't Christian faith.

Given the sheer size of the Roman empire, it doesn't represent a single belief or tradition, and anyone who talks about "paganism" like a single coherent set of beliefs has no idea what he is talking about.

Even the Celtic beliefs were highly fragmented and tribe-dependent, with different local gods and goddess, different rituals, and even different beliefs.

Even the term "celtic Pagan" is an historical incongruity and a modern invention often tainted by new-age.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Unfortunately, I have to slightly disagree because the anti-Semitism on ATS is horribly prevalent.

I dont often get annoyed here on ATS but seeing how you have derailed this thread to your own means is just so irritating...

Why not look at all the threads talking about anti-muslims/catholics/christians/Obama/Bush etc etc etc...

Give us a break and lets try and respect the OPs original question instead of turning this thread into a totally different topic?

He/she asked a simple question for cripes sake!!!

Give the OP a chance!

Nibs

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   

You're entirely wrong but you're entitled to your opinion I guess.
I'm sure that Christianity has survived whole and intact without any newer age theme altering it for two thousand years. Just the fact that women no longer are required to cover their heads is a new age adaptation of the Christian church. I guess they're not true Christians then huh?

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I would agree with you, there are plenty of pretend pagans or Wiccans in America, just as there are throughout the world, but there are also plenty of pagans/Wiccans who take their beliefs/spirituality quite seriously, and are well versed in its origins and practice. They are not what they are just to be ""spiritual" without being a Christian".
That's quite a jaded outlook you have there.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join