It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should I become a pagan?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 12:50 AM
link   
So, I gave up on Christianity years ago, mainly because of how crazy and or dumb so many Christians are. Now I am a declared atheist, but I feel like I am missing a lot as far as having community and people to talk about religion/philosophy/spirituality, etc.

I am a firm believer that people should learn from the natural world and try to model our lifestyles and societies after nature, or at least not 100% against nature, and as far as I understand that's basically what pagans believe?

Also learning how the Christians copied so much from pagans while oppressing them at the same time makes me think they were scared of people knowing about paganism, so maybe it's truth they were trying to hide?

I like when I recognize pagan themes in movies like Frozen but I've known some Wiccans and they can be pretty out there individuals which makes me nervous about trying to establish relations with pagans. Plus where I am located in Eastern Washington is very conservative and traditional, though I am planning to move back to my original part of the state which would be much less hostile to alternative religions.

So, who has good advice for me?

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Become a Subgenius.
They get along with most other cults.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Yes.

The spiritual path is the shortest route.

You will need assistance from someone who has already traveled enough distance to be of help. Be prepared to exercise a great deal of patience. One cannot simply 'wish' for spiritual enlightenment and wake up tomorrow fulfilled. Of course, there's no religious dogma tripping you up every step you take either.

Good luck, my friend.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 01:24 AM
link   
a reply to: CB328

Now I am a declared atheist, but I feel like I am missing a lot as far as having community and people to talk about religion/philosophy/spirituality, etc.

Atheists have no need for any of those things.

Maybe you are agnostic?

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 01:24 AM
link   
If you left Christianity because you think Christians are crazy...

...then yeah, you probably should stay away from Wicca too.

My advice would be to stop concerning yourself so much with other people and their flaws, and instead work on developing your own relationship with the divine and improving yourself and your community.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 01:30 AM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

It's like, I decided to leave (insert ideology) because a portion of people that agree with (insert ideology) are crazy.

I will continue to ignore that there are crazy people everywhere.

edit on 26-5-2015 by rockintitz because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 02:10 AM
link   

1 - best advice -make your own descisions - none do stuff because people on the internut tell you to [ irony intended ]

2 - atheism does not stop you having a social life [ thats what you seem to want ]

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Disassociating oneself from a faith simply because some people behave in a way that's unbecoming of their walk with Jesus is a reflection of how little one has studied the word. Don't be dissuaded by the sins and short comings of others, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of Him.

"Christianity" itself may be young but combustion, but it's roots are approximated to be as ancient as paganism (if not older). Christianity is a continuation of Judaism that was heavily prophesized. Contrary to what some documentaries claim, there is no precedent for Jesus as a deity. The basis for Christianity was not borrowed from paganism. I'm not providing any links because I'm on a cheap phone, but it won't take much academic research to know this is true.

In terms of whether to convert to paganism... There are so many variants in paganism to choose from, but it all boils down to this. Why would one worship the creation when he can worship the creator? A former pagan if 20+ years (or so) wrote about it in a written testimony. She talked about our responsibility as followers in Jesus to be good stewards of the creation. We should have a very healthy respect for the planet and all things with which he inhabited it. We should even be connected with it, but our worship should be reserved for Him.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 03:14 AM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

For me Paganism has been about looking inwards and taking responsibility for my own actions. When taught religion I was in essence told that if I 'sinned' the devil had tempted me and if I did something good, God had influenced me. Somewhere in that lot of excuses I was excluded. Once you leave those concepts the dessert religions teach you, you grow up to learn to celebrate your successes which you know you have worked for and recognise your failures for what they actually are.

There are lots of paths in paganism just as there are many so-called paths up the mountain of the desset, just choose one that's right for you and not a means of some kind of naughty-but-nice little exclusive group, which is literally just another religious cultish group with a born-again running it.
edit on 26-5-2015 by Shiloh7 because: typing error etc

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 04:25 AM
link   
It might seem like Christianity is a bad idea because of the form of it pushed on the masses, leading to a lot of unChristian "Christians". Maybe you could find your own "form" of Christianity. What can be so bad about aspiring to have unlimited love and kindness and forgiveness? For all things, including but not only nature. I was once (probably/possibly) like you, very disillusioned with Cbristianity due to the despicable behaviors I've seen and read about in history. I spent a short time seeking answers elsewhere, then I realized that just because others had gotten it wrong doesn't mean I can't do better. My ideas would seem almost anti Christian to some though.

For example, my God doesn't punish you for accidentally believing the wrong thing. I hope to see Buddhists in Heaven, Pagans, Atheists, and even Satanists, so long as they led a good life. Because I love all these people, and wouldn't want to live without them. To me, it doesn't matter if you "accepted Jesus as your Saviour". What difference is a thought in your head going to make? What's important to me is having a great capacity for Love, Kindness and Forgiveness. The basis of the message of Jesus Christ. That's what I think was important to him. A true God would have no need to be worshipped. So why would that be a requirement? That doesn't mean I am saying Jesus didn't nhave divine powers or was not the son of/avatar of God... that could very well be true. As a mortal human, I have no way of knowing for sure. I just dont believe he would demand worship.

In fact, as quoted in my signature it was actually Satan who promised great reward in exchange for worship.

Do I have all the answers? Hell no. I would just say follow your heart. Do what you know to be good. You can be an evil Christian, or a very kind and loving Athiest, or anything in between. I don't think it matters too much what banner you fly under or what label you give yourself. Just try to learn to have love and compassion for all living things and for the amazing and beautiful planet we have to live on. Learn the true meaning of love. Study it in all its forms. If anything, I would worship the power of love, and I guess that's what some people would say God is. God is Love.

My own form of Christianity works for me. It might not work for everyone and that's ok.

The video in the following link doesn't work but just read the transcript below it.
notyounoti.com...

edit on 5/26/2015 by 3n19m470 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 04:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: CB328
So, I gave up on Christianity years ago, mainly because of how crazy and or dumb so many Christians are. Now I am a declared atheist

It's a strange decision.

You claim you became atheist because of Christians? Sorry but this sounds strange to me. You can totally be a deist or even spiritual without being religious. You can subscribe to whatever philosophy you like without having to join all the strange rituals and prayer groups. Spirituality is something private that should be exerced without the need to put a label to your faith. Sounds like something Americans are not familiar with.

That you decided to be an atheist sounds to me like you don't really know what you believe in and are just fishing for whatever makes you feel good.

Basically you don't need this thread advises, you will do what you like anyway.
edit on 26-5-2015 by JUhrman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 04:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: CB328
So, I gave up on Christianity years ago, mainly because of how crazy and or dumb so many Christians are. Now I am a declared atheist, but I feel like I am missing a lot as far as having community and people to talk about religion/philosophy/spirituality, etc.

I am a firm believer that people should learn from the natural world and try to model our lifestyles and societies after nature, or at least not 100% against nature, and as far as I understand that's basically what pagans believe?

Also learning how the Christians copied so much from pagans while oppressing them at the same time makes me think they were scared of people knowing about paganism, so maybe it's truth they were trying to hide?

I like when I recognize pagan themes in movies like Frozen but I've known some Wiccans and they can be pretty out there individuals which makes me nervous about trying to establish relations with pagans. Plus where I am located in Eastern Washington is very conservative and traditional, though I am planning to move back to my original part of the state which would be much less hostile to alternative religions.

So, who has good advice for me?

You left Christianity because of religious people you call crazy and yet you are basing your understanding of paganism from a children's movie?

Frozen is a movie that a writer wrote one day out of their imagination, then someone drew storyboards of shots, then someone got the actors into the recording studio to do the dialogue and then some team of individuals created the 3D animated characters. The only reason you might see pagan themes in the movie....is because the writer wrote it in there.

Another pop culture kid.

And how dumb are Christians? Please tell us about "dumb Christians".

(You wouldn't be very good at paganism because you like pop culture too much. Paganism still has some kind of deity, some kind of higher power, depending on the type of paganism).

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 05:44 AM
link   
No, you shouldn't become a Pagan.

It's all nonsense.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 05:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: socketdude
No, you shouldn't become a Pagan.

It's all nonsense.

"Pagan" is what people who hate Christians but still want to believe in something mystical chose because they don't really know anything else.

The funniest to me is that it's the most popular in the US while at the same time having no real roots there.

It's like these Asatru guys who pretend to be real norse pagans while in fact they simply have fantasies about being a viking.

All that Pagan/Wicca/Asatru stuff and all the other funny cults are simply ways for Americans to feel unique and like they have ancestral roots but in the end it's just a bunch of fat girls dancing naked in the woods pretending to be spiritual. Bonus point when they even claim to have native ancestry despite being more white than a yogurt

Real Pagan cults in Europe have nothing to do with that. Probably because they are based on real traditions and spirituality.
edit on 26-5-2015 by JUhrman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 06:23 AM
link   

so you say that if people are crazy or dumb, you need to worship another religion?
its like i worship god but you are dumb and crazy, do you think i would switch religion because you are dumb?

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 06:30 AM
link   

I have a suggestion for a book you may want to read; it is titled: "The Dark Side of Christian History"...by: Helen Ellerbe.

I am thinking that this book will help give to you some direction. I first checked it out at my local library...and then went to Barnes & Noble and ordered a copy to own. This book's cost is under $20.00.

Here is a quote from the back of the book:

"By denying evil we do harm. By denying darkness we obscure the light. Over a period of almost two millennia, the Christian Church has oppressed and brutalized millions of individuals in an attempt to control and contain spirituality. "The Dark Side of Christian History" reveals in painstaking detail the tragedies, sorrows and injustices inflicted upon humanity by the Church. This expose is a compelling and passionate cry for human dignity and spiritual freedom."

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 06:50 AM
link   
If you want to and feel that is right for you then why not. At least if you experience something of the spiritual/"Above 3D+1T" you are free to question it and verify it without Christian dogma getting in the way. Kinda like get to know the spirit instead of telling spirit what it is without having any experience what it is.

I think Yeshua was a spiritual master but I feel most Christians have no real clue what Yeshua is really teaching. Kinda like Einstein. Everybody have heard about Einstein but few do the work to really understand the theories/knowledge that the brilliant people leave behind.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 07:03 AM
link   
a reply to: 3n19m470

Have had similar thoughts and than kind of Christian faith I would believe in since it follows Yeshua:s teachings and not Paul:s "the name Jesus will set you free".

A good Sikh, Hindu, Buddhist, Pagan, Sufi, Muslim is automatically a good follower of Jesus teachings. One source many saints.

From my point of view life it is only a temporary game (spirit having a human experience). When it is over we sooner or later go home to the bliss and play.

Namaste

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 07:43 AM
link   
My sound advice is the following CB :

Do as YOU feel and what you feel comfortable with and not what other people want to brainwash you into what THEY want you to do.

Warmest

Nibs

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 08:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nibbles
My sound advice is the following CB :

Do as YOU feel and what you feel comfortable with and not what other people want to brainwash you into what THEY want you to do.

Warmest

Nibs

The OP wants to be a pagan because Frozen was apparently pagan.

They aren't really atheist, they seem to be only following popular trends, which is brainwashing in itself. Pop culture trends are types of social conditioning and brainwashing.

When the OP said "Christians are dumb", you should have taken the hint right then that the OP parrots everything the OP hears by the pop culture, societal conditioned group that cruises youtube, watches movies but never read books.

Could you tell by the language the OP uses? The OP is a parrot.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join