It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Movies You Love (That Critics and Others Hate)

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 12:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23
Most of Terry Gilliam's films are poorly reviewed. There are a few exceptions.
I find them to be, for the most part, pure genius.
'Tideland' is the first example that comes to mind.
That film brought me to tears, and most people seem to hate it.

That's so funny because I was going to post "Tideland" as my choice for this topic, then decided to read through what other members wrote first. Its my favourite movie of all times but other people find it crazy or creepy.

In the same vein of touching but creepy are also "North Fork" and "A Reflecting Skin" for those who like "Tideland"

I would also suggest "Mulholland Drive"... normal people don't like it either and I've seen it quite a few times and though I know I like it, the story won't stick in my head, so I've actually started to watch it and been half way through and kept thinking something about this movies is so familiar!

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 12:08 AM
link   
a reply to: new_here

That was good!

If were talking cops and the funniest 10 minutes of any badly rated movie it's got to be this.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 12:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: igloo

originally posted by: skunkape23
Most of Terry Gilliam's films are poorly reviewed. There are a few exceptions.
I find them to be, for the most part, pure genius.
'Tideland' is the first example that comes to mind.
That film brought me to tears, and most people seem to hate it.

That's so funny because I was going to post "Tideland" as my choice for this topic, then decided to read through what other members wrote first. Its my favourite movie of all times but other people find it crazy or creepy.

In the same vein of touching but creepy are also "North Fork" and "A Reflecting Skin" for those who like "Tideland"

I would also suggest "Mulholland Drive"... normal people don't like it either and I've seen it quite a few times and though I know I like it, the story won't stick in my head, so I've actually started to watch it and been half way through and kept thinking something about this movies is so familiar!

I just watched 'Mullholland Drive' about a week ago and I think I finally "got it."
I don't want to spoil the film for anyone, but what I caught on to, after multiple viewings, is that the end of the film is where the story actually begins. It is Betty's journey through the Bardo.
I love David Lynch's work.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 12:43 AM
link   

I don't care what anyone says. To this day I cannot watch this movie without laughing through 90% of it.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Repoman.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 02:01 AM
link   
These are a couple I like.
I like the sequel to this, too.
Wayne's World

This one's so bad it's good.
Attack of the Killer Tomatoes!

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 02:08 AM
link   
a reply to: MonkeyFishFrog

Seth Rogan's Observe and Report. It gets 31% off viewers and 51% off reviewers.

It's one of the best comedies I've seen with some scenes that should be classics by now.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 02:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse

YES! The Jerk is a classic, I can't believe people wouldn't get a laugh out of it
The dog's name cracks me up every time XD

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 05:56 AM
link   
I have to agree with What Dreams May Come...

For the most part slammed by critics I watch it Every time it is on. I never understood how people would complain about how over the top Robin Williams was at points in the film. That is how he acted and I couldn't imagine anyone else playing that role. Visually the film was amazing with its paint sets.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Kevin Costner's film Waterworld.

I loved that movie, but a lot of people and critics said it was crap. It was like Mad Max on water.

It's a peak into earth's possible future, if global warming keeps up.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 10:48 AM
link   
They Live

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: SgtHamsandwich

This is another one most people scoff at. I really liked it, and in fact, it's been a family favorite since it came out.

Another one i also really liked, even though it deviated from the book quite a bit in spots, was Congo. I love the book so much that I'm on my 3rd paperback, I keep reading it til it literally falls apart on me. The movie, by comparison, wasn't as good as the book, but it was good in it's own right if you're willing to overlook the inconsistencies/changes. As far as the critics were concerned, it was a dud.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: opethPA

That is an amazing movie. The book is good, too.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

Reeckee Boobee!

To make it even funnier, now that you've seen him I a helmet. Go get a good look at Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger in his helmet ... I swear they could be twins separated at birth.

edit on 26-5-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Time Bandits.

Another Terry Gilliam classic.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 01:28 PM
link   
League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

5.8/10 on IMDB
4/10 on Rotten Tomatoes

I don't care. I love this movie. Ridiculously fun from start to finish. I watch it every time I see it is on TV.

I read the graphic novels and the first is OK, but the second is crap.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: MonkeyFishFrog

200 Cigarettes - It's one of my all time favorite movies, next to Napoleon Dynamite and The Grand Budapest Hotel. Unfortunately Rotten Tomatoes doesn't agree giving it 28% pfft

edit on 26-5-2015 by Staroth because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 02:43 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

He was so GOOD at it!

I have seen it so many times, though we watch the DC more these days. The kids all love it, too.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Hudson Hawk was universally panned but I thought it was hilarious.

I'm not sure what those numbers mean.

5.7/10·IMDb
24%·Rotten Tomatoes
17%·Metacritic

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: SgtHamsandwich

I'm over at my mom's and both of us give you thumbs up on this one. We too are part of the minority that enjoyed Waterworld. Mad Max on water is the perfect description!

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join