It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michelle Obama Tells Graduates to 'Shape the Revolutions'

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 06:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7
a reply to: beezzer

The right wing sucks too so long as these OLIGARCHS run things.

That's the problem, isn't it.

The fringe has been co-opted by the establishment.

Unless you're fighting for bigger government and fewer freedoms, then "that" kind of edgy protest is encouraged.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Would this rhetoric be anything but welcomed if it came from a tea party candidate?

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 06:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

Yes, she used the word revolution is a speech for a specific reason. Let's look at what she said, again:

So get out there and volunteer on campaigns, and then hold the folks you elect accountable. Follow what’s happening in your city hall, your statehouse, Washington, D.C. Better yet, run for office yourself. Get in there. Shake things up. Don’t be afraid. (Applause.) And get out and vote in every election -– not just the big national ones that get all the attention, but every single election. Make sure the folks who represent you share your values and aspirations.

"See, that is how you will rise above the noise and shape the revolutions of your time. That is how you will have a meaningful journey on those clamorous highways of life. And, graduates, that is how you will carry on the proud legacy of this great institution for generations to come.

I think you may be stuck on the idea that she was subconsciously telling these graduates to start a revolution to overthrow the current system. As you can tell from her words, she was not. She was describing how to get involved in the process and to make changes through the existing system.

A political revolution that starts locally and trickles up to DC.....that's what she was talking about.

Let's also not forget that the word 'revolution' can be applied in many different ways. There are political revolutions, cultural, technological, medical......etc.

Perhaps it's best not to get stuck on one word, that can be used in many forms, and look at what she said in the entire context.
edit on 26-5-2015 by introvert because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 06:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

Would this rhetoric be anything but welcomed if it came from a tea party candidate?

Like I said, the words are all well and good, but the actions they've taken against anyone "speaking out" against their embraced ideology speaks louder than anything.

If you are supporting revolution, revolutionary thought, then be prepared, because the result may be something other than what you desired.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 06:07 PM
link   
The race baiting in this thread is astounding.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 06:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
a reply to: kaylaluv

So you'd have no problem with everyone joining the Tea Party and fighting for a repeal of Obamacare and lower taxes?

What does that have to do with her speech? She didn't tell them how to vote. She didn't tell them what they should be protesting. There were no specific instructions. Just... take responsibility for making the world what you want it to be. Get out there and do SOMETHING. Please tell me what is wrong with telling young people to get off their behinds and get involved in their world. Please. Tell me what she should have told them.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 06:11 PM
link   

I really hate repeating myself.

Where did I ever say her words were horrible?

All I claimed was that she and many of her progressive breatheren are hypocrites because they encourage revolt, but if it against their ideology. . . then everything and everyone gets shunted to a free speech zone where they are ignored and marginalized.
edit on 26-5-2015 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 06:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

Nice way to dodge my question. If Ron Paul was the speaker at a university graduation, and he said to get involved, take responsiblity for making the world what you want it to be - everyone would have loved it. The only reason you don't like it is because it was Michelle who said it. You can't fault the words, so you fault the person saying it. And that is... lame.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 06:15 PM
link   

This divisional garbage is going to get people KILLED if we don't get a handle on it.
WHO hasn't heard of the bombing of Watts?
What the hell good did THAT do the black people?
ZIP.
NOW we have revisionists claiming this idiocy IS WHAT DR KING WOULD WANT?
They should go clean up the bodies when this comes to a head,maybe THEN they will get it.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 06:18 PM
link   

This divisional garbage is going to get people KILLED if we don't get a handle on it.

WHO hasn't heard of the bombing of Watts?

What the hell good did THAT do the black people?

ZIP.

NOW we have revisionists claiming this idiocy IS WHAT DR KING WOULD WANT?

They should go clean up the bodies when this comes to a head,maybe THEN they will get it.

Some will never get it because they will use any action as justification for more violence.

Reasoned debate has left the building.

Dr. King is spinning in his grave and hatred and violent rhetoric rules the day.

Viva la revoluti'on!

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 06:19 PM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7

You do realize that King revolutionized our nation right?
It was for a minority as well.

What exactly would he be against in the context of this speech?

You keep going on and on about killing and violence and war but no one is talking about that but you.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 06:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

I really hate repeating myself.

Where did I ever say her words were horrible?

All I claimed was that she and many of her progressive breatheren are hypocrites because they encourage revolt, but if it against their ideology. . . then everything and everyone gets shunted to a free speech zone where they are ignored and marginalized.

Okay so her speech on getting involved was perfect - at least we can agree on that. Vote, volunteer, run for office. What the hell does that have to do with getting shunted to a free speech zone and being marginalized? Nothing, that's what.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 06:21 PM
link   

The same thing can be said about those that are against the progressives.

Are the conservatives open to hearing and not marginalizing what is coming from the other side?

Dr. King is spinning in his grave and hatred and violent rhetoric rules the day.

That is for sure, when people get called racist for saying anything that is positive for black people, he would not be happy.

Or when people that are protesting have racial slur after racial slur thrown at them, he would not be happy.

When people try and act like racism is dead when it clearly is still alive and well, he would not be happy.

Not to say he would be entirely happy with the Al's and Jessies that are going against what he taught.
Just tired of people trying to use his teachings and what he stood for and act like he would be disgusted with the civil rights movements of today.

edit on thTue, 26 May 2015 18:24:37 -0500America/Chicago520153780 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7

So, you're saying that she should have told them NOT to get involved. Don't vote, don't ever try to run for office, don't volunteer. Just sit around and get on sites like ATS and gripe about how the world is going to hell. Wow.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 06:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Are YOU kidding?
Attacks to kill "Whitey" happening in larger cities all the time police acting oddly and YOU think its non existant?
KING wanted UNITY ONLY not any form of revenge ,wake the hell up.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 06:46 PM
link   

My statement doesn't reflect THAT single expression,it reflects the OVERALL situation at which SHE only uplifts HER SKIN.
Everyone IS free to get involved if they are willing to work for it.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Everyone IS free to get involved if they are willing to work for it.

Which is what her whole speech was about. It wasn't about blowing anything up. It wasn't about "killin' whitie". It was simply: get involved. Get involved in politics. Get involved in your community. Vote. Volunteer. Run for office. THAT is how you make a dfference. And we are ALL free to do it.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 07:11 PM
link   

LOL I'm sorry you can't get me to play by you 'rules'. Life's kinda like that when matters of opinion are involved.

It's been painfully obvious to the majority opinion, that Barry and Michelle have gotten to where they are by gaming the system. Unfortunately, once you get to the top, people are allowed to take pot shots and call a spade, "A spade."

You haven't addressed the origins of complaint in the source of the OP. Why? Seems you've got a personal beef with me presenting any dissenting opinion of your Queen to the readership.

I don't like her. So what? I don't care for many in the political spectrum, but she's particularly distasteful. I bet she's got an odor too.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 07:12 PM
link   

I think you're being disingenuous.

The Obama's have been known to call the Tea Party racist, simply because the Tea Party doesn't subscribe to their particular brand of ideology.

They have never said that grass root movements were a good thing.

As a matter of fact, I don't believe they have ever said anything positive about any grassroot political movement that wasn't of their own ideology.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 07:28 PM
link   
What will these "graduates" think when they get into the 1% class and get criticized.

Ironic how the Obamas are 1% and act like they're not.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join