It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michelle Obama Tells Graduates to 'Shape the Revolutions'

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

Sadly it the other side wants to make it about race as well, it took all of what one comment to call her a racist and then plenty fell in right behind that comment.

The comment of which is anything but.

I still don't see how say that it is now not remarkable to see two beautiful, she was talking about her daughters here, black girls on the White House lawn is racist.
If anything it is the opposite IMO.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Just sensing a theme...

:-)

You brought up minorities - doesn't take a genius to connect those dots

But, hey - you want to talk about ideology? OK - try to forget for a moment that she's the president's wife, that she's a minority - that she's a lawyer...let's pretend she's a Snarl - whatever the hell that is

What did she say that has you all bent out of shape?

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

Sadly it the other side wants to make it about race as well, it took all of what one comment to call her a racist and then plenty fell in right behind that comment.

The comment of which is anything but.

I still don't see how say that it is now not remarkable to see two beautiful, she was talking about her daughters here, black girls on the White House lawn is racist.
If anything it is the opposite IMO.

I didn't address anything said about her daughters. What's your point to me?

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spiramirabilis
What did she say that has you all bent out of shape?

Her speech's words were chosen for effect. To not see that would be a deliberate act.

ETA: thinkprogress.org...

An interesting perspective ... maybe.
edit on 2652015 by Snarl because: ETA

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Not at you directly just your comment about sides making it about race.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   

An interesting perspective ... maybe.

That IS an interesting perspective

You sure this is the article you want to use to make your case? Sounds to me like maybe she should be president:

Another problem is that, it seems, she’s a perfectionist who doesn’t like to take risks or go off message. This may in part come from her time working as a corporate lawyer. One alum from her staff says, “[S]he’s a lawyer. She’s really disciplined. She cares about the details. She’s never going to wing it.” She has also always held herself to a high ideal. “She’s your ultimate straight-A student,” one former aide says, “she was used to being perfect.”

I think Ms. Obama rocks. True - she is neither shy or retiring - or subservient. Is she supposed to be? She's the First Lady - I've come to expect a lot from our First Ladies. No going back Snarl - Just Say No is a good example, and not even the best one

Eleanor takes the prize - but, we just won't go there

edit on 5/26/2015 by Spiramirabilis because: first thing's first

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Everything sounds like a threat to those who are scared. The county's not going back to 1955. We're moving forward, and that means change, that means unknowns, that means that there will be times when the people who used to hold all of the cards may feel what it's like to be on the other side of that equation. it'll be good for them, for their ability to empathize with others. Without that kind of understanding, progress is very tough.

a reply to: greencmp

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 04:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: TownCryer
Everything sounds like a threat to those who are scared. The county's not going back to 1955. We're moving forward, and that means change, that means unknowns, that means that there will be times when the people who used to hold all of the cards may feel what it's like to be on the other side of that equation. it'll be good for them, for their ability to empathize with others. Without that kind of understanding, progress is very tough.

a reply to: greencmp

You mean like Michelle Obama who is threatened by whites that voted her husband into office and make her life more difficult?

edit on 26-5-2015 by MoreBeer because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 04:25 PM
link   

I think Ms. Obama rocks.

I do too. I think her speech was pretty awesome. Telling young adults just starting to make their way in the world to get out there and take responsibility for making the world a better place (instead of sitting behind a keyboard complaining about how the world's going to hell) is the perfect thing to be telling them. I don't know how her speech could have been any better, actually.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Isn't there something wrong with our first Lady encouraging people to revolt here at home?
Do we not have equal protection under the law?
Jim Crow is dead, right?
Whatever it is she is encouraging likely isn't going to good for the majority in this country.
Economic justice is probably her latest crusade.
Make the middle class give the poor all their "excess" wealth they inherited from their slave-holding ancestors.
Even if you were an immigrant after the Civil War.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 04:47 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

I don't know how her speech could have been any better, actually.

Agreed. I actually love listening to her speak

It didn't sound at all instigate-y or subversive either :-)

I think Snarl is a little disappointed she didn't show up in a Blank Panther getup and raise her fist

Silly Snarl

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 05:25 PM
link   
LMAO

I think Snarl is a little disappointed she didn't show up in a Blank Panther getup and raise her fist

Silly Snarl

Nah. She doesn't have to get dressed up for me or even flash gang sign. Everything about her says, "I'm a racist and I get to play the race card too!!" Being coy might fool the gullible, but I think you're just having a go. She's probably lived that way her whole life and knows no other way to be.

I just don't get any sense of empathy from her like I do this character

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 05:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

Telling young people to take responsibility for voting, volunteering, keeping up with what's happening in your community and possibly running for office isn't exactly a revolt, is it? I mean, are you saying that people SHOULDN'T be doing these things? Really? Is that what you're saying?

And I want to be very clear: Every city ordinance, every ballot measure, every law on the books in this country –- that is your concern. What happens at every school board meeting, every legislative session –- that is your concern. Every elected official who represents you, from dog catcher all the way to President of the United States –- they are your concern.
"So get out there and volunteer on campaigns, and then hold the folks you elect accountable. Follow what’s happening in your city hall, your statehouse, Washington, D.C. Better yet, run for office yourself. Get in there. Shake things up. Don’t be afraid. (Applause.) And get out and vote in every election -– not just the big national ones that get all the attention, but every single election. Make sure the folks who represent you share your values and aspirations.
"See, that is how you will rise above the noise and shape the revolutions of your time. That is how you will have a meaningful journey on those clamorous highways of life. And, graduates, that is how you will carry on the proud legacy of this great institution for generations to come."

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 05:34 PM
link   

So, what should she have said? "Don't bother voting or getting involved in politics or your community. Don't cause too much trouble, don't look 'em in the eye, always say yassuh or nossuh, and whatever you do, don't get too uppity" ? Would that have been a better speech? What would have been better?

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 05:42 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

So you'd have no problem with everyone joining the Tea Party and fighting for a repeal of Obamacare and lower taxes?

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Yes, just having a go

Good - you have a sense of humor :-)

Michelle is OK by me - but, I must admit that there was a First Lady here and there that I did not care for. I hope, one day, that there will be a first husband I just can't stand. I would still consider that progress

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 05:46 PM
link   
You guys in the back of this thread are gonna cause a rupture. I can't remember when I've caused such a stir or laughed so hard ... at politics.

originally posted by: kaylaluv

So, what should she have said? "... always say yassuh or nossuh, and whatever you do, don't get too uppity" ?

For someone who cares little for the customs of grace and dignity ... I could respect that. She also could have said that holding the race card over your white boss' head can get you ahead in the game. I didn't see those code words in her speech, did you?

Bottom Line: She's a meticulous planner, she wove the word Revolution into a formal speech ... and this is ATS.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 05:47 PM
link   
She's spot on again with her remarks. She's been one of the best first ladies we've ever had. You have to go back a few decades...I think Laura Bush was pretty good, very similar. Then you have Hillary, Barbara, and Nancy...

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 05:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Funny I heard him say we were supposed to be beside one another on the TV growing up, not seperate and hostile THAT will get ALOT of BLACK people killed for absolutely NO reason at all.
They aren't ready for organized violence they aren't unified as their OWN country and we aren't supposed to use SKIN as any form of tool for division at ALL.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

The right wing sucks too so long as these OLIGARCHS run things.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join