It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michelle Obama Tells Graduates to 'Shape the Revolutions'

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 02:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
a reply to: Snarl

I am so tired of the Obamas try to re-shape this country into a place where minorities and special interest group opinion replaces that of The Republic and the concerns of the majority.

What does this even mean? What's this reshaping of America based on "minorities and special interest group opinion" that you speak of? If you could cite some specific examples of legislation signed by the President, EOs issued by the President, programs enacted with the support of the First Lady, etc that evidence this dramatic reshaping that you're so upset about, it would be most helpful.

I shudder at the thoughts of the next thing that's going to spew from the sewer of a thing just below her nose.

Yeah, no undue animosity on your part. You want to read some really racist quotes?

"ape-like naked savages, who dwell in the woods and prey on creature not much wilder or lower than themselves."

-- Teddy Roosevelt referring to the "dark-skinned races" in his book African Game Trails

"I don't go so far as to think that the only good Indians are dead Indians but I believe nine out of every 10 are, and I shouldn't like to inquire too closely into the case of the 10th."

-- Teddy Roosevelt in an 1886 speech

"I think one man is just as good as another so long as he's honest and decent and not a n----r or a Chinaman. Uncle Will says that the Lord made a white man from dust, a n----r from mud, then He threw up what was left and it came down a Chinaman."

"(Uncle Will) does hate Chinese and Japs, so do I. It is race prejudice, I guess. But I am strongly of the opinion Negroes ought to be in Africa, yellow men in Asia and white men in Europe and America."

-- 27 year-old Harry S. Truman in a letter to his wife (1911)

"These are not bad people. All they are concerned about is to see that their sweet little girls are not required to sit in school alongside some big overgrown Negroes"

-- Dwight D. Eisenhower to SCOTUS Chief Justice Earl Warren in 1954

Here's a few choice quotes from Nixon:

"They aren't. You know it, too. The Mexicans are a different cup of tea. They have a heritage. At the present time they steal, they're dishonest, but they do have some concept of family life. They don't live like a bunch of dogs, which the Negroes do live like."

"The Jews are just a very aggressive and abrasive and obnoxious personality."

"There are times when an abortion is necessary. I know that. When you have a black and a white... Or a rape."

LBJ is known to have been quite fond of racial epithets and was quoted as saying to a staffer in defense of the appointment of Thurgood Marshall: "Son, when I appoint a n----r to the court, I want everyone to know he's a n----r."

Apparently Johnson wasn't fond of Asians either and as a Senator, Johnson referred numerous times to the "hordes of barbaric yellow dwarves."

I'm sure I can dig up some racist quotes from FDR and Reagan if you'd like and probably some miscellaneous bigotry from just about every President — ever — and a fair number of First Ladies.

I realize that since 2008 conservatives have become a group of easily offended drama queens but try to keep some perspective.

Hmm you seem to love looking up and posting racist quotes, I wonder why that is.

See I can do it too. I didn't take Snarl's comments as racist, but that's what you jump to? Go get 'em tiger, make them pay!

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 05:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: stuthealien
looks like a case of divide the population before they rise together ,and judging by the rioting by a majority black community
id say they have successfully hoodwinked your entire country yet again so as to crush any joint uprising in the bud
before it ever begun ,like a game of chess they play several moves in advance.
or can this be read as we must take control of the revolution get out their and infiltrate the people and let them believe your on their side so we still hold all the aces

Shape the revolutions of your time....strange choice of words given the last years events in the states.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Seriously, you people didint learn the first 50 times lol, Taking words from a speech out of context, over and over again, and paroting the same crap, why am i even asking this, the same circle jerk of stars and flags hehe.

Oh well at least i get my comedy from ats this morning.
edit on 26-5-2015 by dukeofjive696969 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Considering Obama won the election, TWICE, I'd say the 'majority' are on his side, not the side of the OP. Sorry buddy. Get on board, or be sad with your ever decreasing like-minded residents of 'The Republic'.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 08:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: WhatAreThey
How many white first ladies talked about white girls in this way?

How many white girls were the first ones to walk on the White House lawn?

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 08:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: TownCryer
Considering Obama won the election, TWICE, I'd say the 'majority' are on his side, not the side of the OP. Sorry buddy. Get on board, or be sad with your ever decreasing like-minded residents of 'The Republic'.

What side is that? I'm happy he beat John McCain and I was even happier he beat the oligarch Mitt Romney. Does that surprise you?

I still don't like him, or his agenda, or his wife even. That a First Lady is pro-revolutionary to any extent, is disturbing.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 09:06 AM
link   
All I've got to say is, I can not wait until a Republican/conservative wins the presidency (I hope it happens, it may not ever again), so we can start seeing threads making up stuff to bash him/her about. (rubs hands together in anticipated glee)

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 09:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl

What side is that? I'm happy he beat John McCain and I was even happier he beat the oligarch Mitt Romney. Does that surprise you?

I still don't like him, or his agenda, or his wife even. That a First Lady is pro-revolutionary to any extent, is disturbing.

Forgive my intrusion, but I have to ask if you know how this country was founded and it's constitution?

This country was formed through a revolution against the British and the constitution was designed in a way to allow it's people the tools needed to revolt against the leadership when it became tyrannical.

Free speech wasn't included as a right to protect people's opinions on politics or religion. It was included as a right so that free people could speak-out against an out of control government.

The 2nd amendment wasn't included as a right so that you could go hunting or defend yourself in your home (those are added benefits). It was included so that free people could arm themselves and take control back from a tyrannical government.

Our country is designed to be pro-revolution. From time to time we must do so to take back control.

So the first lady, and everyone else, should be pro-revolution.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 09:25 AM
link   
a reply to: introvert

Exactly right. Our very first president (and his wife) were very much pro-revolution. Why? To make things better for our country and it's citizens.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 09:25 AM
link   
a reply to: introvert

It's a discussion board, my friend. No need to ever ask forgiveness from me. If there weren't contradictory opinons on this site it would be a boring place indeed.

As for revolution ... I see your point. But, I'm not a Red Coat who needs to be overthrown. A few years back I might have been apprehensive about voting for a guy like Joe McCarthy. Now I'm not so sure. Fair's fair and all.

ETA: Guilty associations, birds of a feather ...

edit on 2652015 by Snarl because: ETA: My Internet connection is shutting down in a few minutes. Enjoy!!

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 10:54 AM
link   

You know, that sounds a lot like a threat.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Remember, Michelle's senior thesis at Princeton was on racial divide.

It's her pet subject and she's going to continue to milk the divide for all she thinks it's worth.

Remember, she and Barry are going to need this "cause" to garner funds for their foundation in Jan. 2017.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 11:59 AM
link   

I am so tired of the Obamas try to re-shape this country into a place where minorities and special interest group opinion replaces that of The Republic and the concerns of the majority.

While receiving an honorary degree at Oberlin College in Oberlin, Ohio, on Monday, first lady Michelle Obama encouraged students to get involved in civic life and "run to, and not away from, the noise."

"Today, I want to urge you to actively seek out the most contentious, polarized, gridlocked places you can find," Obama said in her address. "Because so often, throughout our history, those have been the places where progress really happens –- the places where minds are changed, lives transformed, where our great American story unfolds."

Obama noted there would be challenges in getting involved in civic duty, citing the difficulties faced by activists like Martin Luther King, Jr., President Franklin D. Roosevelt and others.

"Here at Oberlin, most of the time you’re probably surrounded by folks who share your beliefs. But out in the real world, there are plenty of people who think very differently than you do, and they hold their opinions just as passionately," Obama said. "So if you want to change their minds, if you want to work with them to move this country forward, you can’t just shut them out. You have to persuade them, and you have to compromise with them."

I'm so tired of people who can't seem to adjust to the fact that a minority is now POTUS

Ms. Obama said something meaningful that applies to all Americans - she just happened to say it at Oberlin:

Oberlin College is a private liberal arts college in Oberlin, Ohio, noteworthy for having been the first American institution of higher learning to regularly admit female and black students in addition to white males.

Honestly - why don't you just say that you think minorities are a nuisance - it would be so much easier for you, and you wouldn't have to provide any links
edit on 5/26/2015 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 12:15 PM
link   

That a First Lady is pro-revolutionary to any extent, is disturbing.

Times change - though I know some think that certain things should always remain the same

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: IntroduceALittleIrony

Hmm you seem to love looking up and posting racist quotes, I wonder why that is.

See I can do it too. I didn't take Snarl's comments as racist, but that's what you jump to? Go get 'em tiger, make them pay!

It has nothing to do with a fondness for researching racist quotes nor did I take Snarl's comments as being in someway racist. I was responding to the assertion that Michelle Obama has a "sewer hole" for a mouth and more generally to the notion that a statement like this one (quoted in OP's source and replies to OP) made by Michelle Obama:

"And today, it is no longer remarkable to see two beautiful black girls walking their dogs on the South Lawn of the White House lawn. That’s just the way things are now"

is somehow racist. The mainstream right-wing's "Political Correctness" is far more out of control than even the far left's. This idea that a statement like that from the country's first black First Lady (or any other) is somehow controversial, particularly in the context of the horrible things that past Presidents and First Ladies have said, is pure delusion.

I figured that by citing a few examples for comparison, it might help some of you regain a measure of perspective but unfortunately I think this new false narrative of minority oppression of the majority is far too comforting for many to eschew.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   

I think the world revolution is getting taken out of context.

Seems to me she is talking about not letting the big guy put the little guy down. Don't let the majority trample the minority.

Last time I checked that is the talk track of a republic.

How often are we reminded that the US is a republic?

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 12:48 PM
link   

I certainly wasn't trying to offend you in the least or even to "move the spotlight around." I just wanted to point out how ludicrous it is to pretend that something about her statement was controversial. Read what you said:

"I am so tired of the Obamas try to re-shape this country into a place where minorities and special interest group opinion replaces that of The Republic and the concerns of the majority."

Now replace "Obamas" with any number of other proper nouns and you might have something approaching validity. How about Tea Partiers? There are millions of Tea Partiers out there who have been blabbering about revolution in far less abstract terms for the better part of seven years and they have actually managed to elect a gaggle of idiots who have on numerous occasions hijacked the American legislative process. Tea Partiers are a minority of the public and yet they've used their "movement" to affect the the operation of government. Where is your outrage over that?

I can cite numerous examples of this and I'm sure you could as well if you wanted to do so. What you apparently can't do is cite examples that back up your assertion that the Obamas and their political cohorts have "reshaped" our country into one in which the poor poor victimized majority is in some way oppressed by minority groups.
edit on 2015-5-26 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spiramirabilis
I'm so tired of people who can't seem to adjust to the fact that a minority is now POTUS

I was hoping we'd Just have a POTUS and it wouldn't matter what color his skin was. He picked his wife (not me). He picked his Attorney General (not anyone else). He picked his Secretaries of Health and Human Services as well as those who took office in the Department of Homeland Security (I could go on).

Race isn't the issue I see here. Ideology is. But, you go ahead and make it about race if you want to. Seems to be a trend, and I'm not the only one to notice it.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 02:06 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

I didn't say they were stupid.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

I think the world revolution is getting taken out of context.

I didn't write the article ... I just read between the lines. You think hers was an impromptu speech? Or was it written out beforehand with carefully chosen words ... like most speeches are?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join