It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why dont we have water pipelines ?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 09:41 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

There are other states that have a higher percentage of desert.

With 40 million people?

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 09:48 PM
link   
a reply to: alienjuggalo

California cities already use recycled water for drinking from memory watched a show. I almost thought one particular city in CA is leading by example..

Calera Creek

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 09:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: alienjuggalo
Hmmmmm. Ok then. I guess people shouldnt live in towns and cities by the river then huh?

You can live in flood plains, but why whine when they flood? It comes as no surprise (to most people) that flood plains are expected to flood....

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 09:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: FyreByrd

There are other states that have a higher percentage of desert.

With 40 million people?

Well, I agree there is that.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 09:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: hellobruce

originally posted by: alienjuggalo
Hmmmmm. Ok then. I guess people shouldnt live in towns and cities by the river then huh?

You can live in flood plains, but why whine when they flood? It comes as no surprise (to most people) that flood plains are expected to flood....

Who the hell is whining about floods in flood plains? Are you even reading the thread?

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 10:08 PM
link   
a reply to: alienjuggalo

Floods - get insurance..

I think in terms of economy. Is like free trade.. You do what you have to, to stay competetive. The pie gets bigger and it is a win- win for all, even though you can't see it right away.. If that is the case and pipelines are the answer (or not) the Goverment will not ask for anyone's opinion.

Until we are all self sufficient (and I don't see that happening) we can keep arguaging all day long. Or until some pipeline monopoly comes in. For AU it looks like it is the only way, the idea was to tap into a lake high up North (mm.. until that one runs out of water.. )

I really thought most of the drinking water is being recycled already.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 10:09 PM
link   
a reply to: MimiSia

Yeah. Well. There's that little matter of irrigation too.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 10:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Not sure what that means..

In our case the lake has enough to irrigate. Given the economy of AU (pretty sure USA too) is mostly now depending on agriculture and services (after mining boom dies of here in AU) I am pretty sure it will go something like this..
export agriculture import water.. as crazy as that sounds..
edit on 25-5-2015 by MimiSia because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 10:22 PM
link   

But yeah..
I am talking 2.5 million people increase of 700 000 until 2050. You are talking what minimum 40million.

Then again the cost of that pipeline to our economy and the distance of running one is nothing in comparison. For your government and economy it shoud be a piece of ... given the tax income and the minimal distance from I think OP said Washington? is nothing

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Not sure what that means..

In terms of revenue generated, California’s top five ag products are dairy products, greenhouse and nursery products, grapes, almonds, and cattle and calves. California agriculture generates roughly $37.5 billion annually, more than any other state.

westernfarmpress.com...

How much revenue does agriculture generate in AU? The whole country. Something about like that?

That much agriculture requires water. A lot of it. It also actually does feed a lot of people.

edit on 5/25/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 10:26 PM
link   

now I am confused.
I think we are saying the same thing.
Building a pipeline to sustain it is a way to go, not?

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Actually, I couldn't quite parse exactly what it was you were saying.
But a pipeline from where? Through what mountain ranges?
When?

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 10:36 PM
link   

That I don't know..

I don't know how to insert picture.

In our case running a pipeline from that lake on top to the bottom of the continent through the desert is shorter distance but is non sense given the temperature. Therefore it (EDIT) may run alongside of coastline much longer.
desalination is no option for us.. rain is no option for us. But we have a potential to increas farming and mining for the whole country.. if we only had the darn water.

Op said washington has excess of water supply Cali has shortage.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 10:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: MimiSia
a reply to: skunkape23

In antarctica, reaserchers have houses that can walk..

Just seen a USA show where you move the house with truck.. A lady wanted to replace her old shack house on farm. So she has finally found a house she likes (this is just coincidence to the topic, but from a flood area) cost her $30000, moving it $80000 putting it back together $60000. ?!? why not just build a new one?

My house can be move by truck if necessary.
Saves on property taxes because it's not considered a "permanent structure."
The main frame and foundation is heavy box-tubing steel. I welded it myself. It is built primarily from recycled materials for under 20 grand. About 900 sq ft of interior space.
It is not set up in a flood plain. It is a little pricey to move if need be, it has been once and for nowhere near 30 grand, about 1/4th of that, but it's pretty safe and solid where it stands.
It should easily stand a strong hurricane as long as it doesn't get hit by a tornado.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 10:40 PM
link   

In our case running a pipeline from that lake on top to the bottom of the continent through the desert is shorter distance but is non sense given the temperature.
Your continent does not have the Rocky Mountains, Cascades, or the Sierras across (or through) which water would need to be transported.

Also, your continent is upside down, has too many weird and deadly animals, and has water that goes down the drain the wrong way.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 10:40 PM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

Cool.. So what made you think it should be moveable..

So how does it work? Let's say the forecast is tornados for your area for the next week. Would you be able manage a move in such short period? and can you just put it anywhere? Or what can you do..

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 10:42 PM
link   

true true

so what do you think they can (should) do for water supply to sustain them selfs..

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 10:43 PM
link   

I have no idea. Not one that makes any practical sense.
It is a very, very serious situation which is unlikely to improve any time soon.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Ok lol..
a guy on Kickstarter is raising 30 billion for a water pipeline to Cali.. (annually you generate 37.5 billion for agriculture)

Here is an article of subsea pipeline option from Alaska to Cali..

www.princeton.edu...

Then another option suggested is Oregon..

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Well that's a pretty obvious solution.

The cost analysis does get tricky though. The proposal deals with ongoing (and increasing) water requirements. Not the effects of drought.

Thanks for the link.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join