It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange sound heard in central Arkansas

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I, as well as family and friends, have been hearing this strange sound in the atmosphere since Thursday the 21st. Listen closely among the birds chirping and the sole vehicle drive by and you will hear the high pitch whine. It does not alternate/fluctuate at all and has been continuous for five days now.

youtu.be...

.............located in central Arkansas.
edit on 25-5-2015 by thestillborn1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: thestillborn1

That is odd, any Bill Clinton sightings there? He is known to let out flatulence from time to time!

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: thestillborn1
I, as well as family and friends, have been hearing this strange sound in the atmosphere since Thursday the 21st. Listen closely among the birds chirping and the sole vehicle drive by and you will hear the high pitch whine. It does not alternate/fluctuate at all and has been continuous for five days now.

youtu.be...

.............located in central Arkansas.
I hear it. Is it some sort of cricket? How long have you lived there?

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Dude those are Locust check and see if there are any scheduled molts in your area .
edit on 25-5-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

Edit; Central Arkansas is due for a 13 year brood .

source

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Sorry, it's not insects. Insects respond to all types of variables -movement, air, light, dark, etc.,. Their sound production varies. A good example would be a Cicada.

Here is an example for you bug lovers:

www.youtube.com...

My recorded sound is constant! It does not fluctuate and has been constant for five days now.

Another poster here started a thread on the 14th and states it's occurring in northern Louisiana also.
edit on 25-5-2015 by thestillborn1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Well there are two broods emerging in 14 states One of which is Louisiana. But what do I know I've only been listening to them for 40+ years.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 03:32 PM
link   
52 years here and I still love Nature and it's fury. It is the only perfect thing.

It would be nice to know what is causing the constant high-pitch whining noise. Don't you all agree?

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I think it it a 17 year cycle cicada, I remember once in my younger years hearing them before. Of course, you would have to be old enough to have heard them before. they still sound eerie even though I have heard them before.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse

having grown up in an area that broke records with its cicada broods, i disagree with your hypothesis, this sound is nothing like a cicada brood, so no your statement of how long you've been listening to cicadas does not venerate your opinion.

having also experienced first hand some of the worlds longest train tunnels, id say this sound sounds very similar to the noise you would hear standing in or at one end of a long tunnel while a train has entered and is traveling toward, from the other side but still a great distance away.

the fact that you think this is cicadas makes me wonder if you are even listening to the same particular noise from the video, you might be focusing on the inconsequential background noise of insects rather then the constant whirring noise in question.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: pryingopen3rdeye

a reply to: Greathouse having grown up in an area that broke records with its cicada broods, i disagree with your hypothesis, this sound is nothing like a cicada brood, so no your statement of how long you've been listening to cicadas does not venerate your opinion.

Yet the sound is miraculously appear in 14 different states. Which is coincidently where the two current broods are emerging at.

But you're entitled to your opinion. I guess we'll find out when the cicadas are gone.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Who knows if there's some kind of hidden message behind those sounds.. Like some kind of instructions for the ones who know what it says?

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Most likely a bird. Maybe a new type of airplane engine. Like one of those hybrid electrical types.
edit on 25-5-2015 by tenis because: edit

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Definitely not cicadas. That is some kind of whirring mechanical sound. It sounds like somebody mixing dough in their Kitchenaid about a mile away. Weird. I would see if there is any quarry/mine/farming activity going on withing the surrounding miles.
edit on 25-5-2015 by Halfswede because: spelling

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Might help if you provide a more exact location....

I'm in central Arkansas and haven't heard anything unusual.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 11:05 PM
link   

I am not saying this is what it is, but what it sounds like to me is a tea kettle whistling. That couldn't continue for five days, of course. That's the pitch, though. Over how large an area can this be heard?

This is NOT cicadas! I know what those sound like, and it's nothing like this. Not grasshoppers (which is what locusts are), or crickets, either. If this is some sort of insect, it's not like any I have heard in fifty years, and I have lived a lot of places.

It is more like a wind sound, or, as someone else said, a fast train sound, or the kettle I suggested, than it is like insects. No wind in the video, though.
edit on 25-5-2015 by LadyGreenEyes because: added comment

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 11:35 PM
link   
i think its a combo of infrasound and acoustic gravity waves, ive read the wikipedia of how infrasound can be brought to audable levels by applying pressure waves

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Listen to what the kid says about the alien ship sound...
www.collective-evolution.com...

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 01:22 AM
link   
yep, not cicada season yet....it's haarp, holding the standing wave responsible for this weather....

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 02:09 AM
link   
In our area that "weird" sound everyone is reporting is cicadas! Young'uns are freaking out on social media I'm told.
The foundation on the west side of our house was covered in them a few days ago. Until the rain washed them away their shells were on everything. For our area it is a 13 year brood according to the UK Ag site. www2.ca.uky.edu...
Driving through a heavily-wooded wetland last night, it did indeed sound mechanical and very alien.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 05:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: diggindirt
In our area that "weird" sound everyone is reporting is cicadas! Young'uns are freaking out on social media I'm told.
The foundation on the west side of our house was covered in them a few days ago. Until the rain washed them away their shells were on everything. For our area it is a 13 year brood according to the UK Ag site. www2.ca.uky.edu...
Driving through a heavily-wooded wetland last night, it did indeed sound mechanical and very alien.

Please listen to the OP before posting what something is elsewhere or what is "abuzz" on social media (pun intended). There is no resemblance to cicadas whatsoever. Cicada sound is so predictable that you can do Fourier analysis and tell the exact species with no other info. It is not a buzz in any way.

This is something industrial and human in origin. I am convinced that if the OP asks around the locals, they will find that there is some operation like a rock quarry that has been crushing rock for the last week(s), or some other kind of processing that goes in weeks long batches like harvesting a million acres of wheat or some such thing.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join