It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Is Everyone on the Internet So Angry?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 02:11 PM
link   
A really interesting article in Scientific America and something we've all experienced here on ats I'm sure.

These days, online comments "are extraordinarily aggressive, without resolving anything," said Art Markman, a professor of psychology at the University of Texas at Austin. "At the end of it you can't possibly feel like anybody heard you. Having a strong emotional experience that doesn't resolve itself in any healthy way can't be a good thing." If it's so unsatisfying and unhealthy, why do we do it? A perfect storm of factors come together to engender the rudeness and aggression seen in the comments' sections of Web pages, Markman said. First, commenters are often virtually anonymous, and thus, unaccountable for their rudeness. Second, they are at a distance from the target of their anger — be it the article they're commenting on or another comment on that article — and people tend to antagonize distant abstractions more easily than living, breathing interlocutors. Third, it's easier to be nasty in writing than in speech, hence the now somewhat outmoded practice of leaving angry notes (back when people used paper), Markman said. [Infographic: A Typical Day on the Internet]
www.scientificamerican.com...

I think it's worth remembering it's much easier to be nasty and mean than it is to be compassionate and sympathetic. In fact it takes no thought to throw out mean and nasty comments, but takes a lot of thought to try and show some compassion and sympathy for the plight of others.
edit on 25-5-2015 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I'd be interested to see breakdowns by political and religious philosophies.

But I kinda already know what that would look like.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I believe that part of the problem lies in the fact that most people do not use proper grammar when speaking on the internet. Thus causing them to not articulate their feeling/thought to the other person properly. Which leads to miscommunication.

So many times (especially on this website) have I replied to someone through text, only to have them misunderstand my meaning completely. It is hard to be sarcastic or to even joke online.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: imnotanother

A major problem is it gives people the impression that people they don't know or have ever talked to care about their opinions. Do we really? No, because if someone slandered you you'd let it go especially if their were no effects, only if you agree or relate with their opinion or find some truth do you really care. If I said I was a purple people eater do you really care if that's my opinion? No it's all relevant to the listener. This why you can stand In a crowd and find one person who won't want to listen to you. On the internet people read hundreds of comments sometimes to never post, does that mean you care about those opinions? No you didn't reply and if you did, was it for hate or agreement? Probably the latter. Most people literally only reply to contradict someone else. 99% of the time the communication between the internet community is slanderous, does anyone care? No those same journalists and internet warriors are posting their same opinion with different words unless it's changed, but then does that make it now have value because it's changed? No. That is why I believe people are internet warriors. Their safe they don't have to actually be present for an argument and can choose to vacate at any time. Allowing them to believe they can say anything they want. Thus they do. Just my 2 cents..
edit on 5310252015vAmerica/Chicago05bAmerica/Chicago by 5thNovember because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: woodwardjnr

We are not accountable to anyone when we comment on the internet besides ourself and a higher power(s) should we have one/them.

We know how lack of accountablity allows horrible ethics to thrive - look at big banking and big business for examples. It leads to the abuse and dehumanization of those we interact with.

If we are accountable to ourselves however, we can use the internet as a tool in our own development. It is possible to learn how to disagree without attacking, argue passionately without belittling and confronting ignorance without being unkind. Those things do take practise and forums such as this one can provide a useful and safe place to practise these skills.

The only requirement is the will to be a productive member of society, a willingness to learn and humility. Two character traits that not all that many people today consider useful.

There is also an 'anti-social' aspect to 'hanging-out' on the internet that erodes the ability to interact productively with people face-to-face. I think the rudness your Scientific American refers to is largely a result of that inability to be comfortable in society.

I always am reminded of Issac Asimov's "Robots of Dawn" (it could be another of the early 'robot' books) were the protangonists invetigate a murder on a planet were the citizens never interact physically with each and were it is distasteful and taboo.

Thank you for posting this, it reminds me that I have to be accountable for what I think, say and do and that all three modes are important and that 'faking it' only get one so far.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 02:42 PM
link   

I have no idea. After all everyone knows I'm the most reasonable nicest guy around.

In all seriousness's. I believe it's because nobody listens to anyone else. Not many actual debates are conducted it's mostly sermons.
edit on 25-5-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 02:44 PM
link   

I think it depends on the individual. Personally, I find it harder to be mean and rude. I have to make a sincere effort. Being kind and compassionate comes very easy to me. Us Kats get a bad reputation for being stubborn and selfish all to get some treats, but I have licked and kissed my share of dogs without fear of being bitten! But seriously, it really comes down to what is in your heart and soul daily. Even for me being anonymous is hard to do. I don't use it as a means to go off on people though, but sadly, there will always be those poor unfortunate souls that use the internet as a way to vent their everyday frustrations, there are and can be reprisals though if you mess with the wrong Kat!

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 03:31 PM
link   

What's not to be angry about?

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Pack mentality, anonymity and it being hard to properly convey emotion, detect sarcasm and the like play a large part, that and the moral breakdown of society in general.

If you observe, nothing in particular sets this off, people can comment almost anything, the most pleasant things you can say and somebody will rip into them for it.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 03:53 PM
link   
It is our "two minutes of hate". Think about it, a majority of people need that release of anger to go on about their business elsewhere. We release it online against strangers, or Republicans, Liberals, Atheists, Christians, etc...etc... never really accomplishing anything except giving our dear leaders a good laugh at how divided their peasants are.

Just as they did in 1984, the people release their anger against those who they believe are wrong. Because their "Big Brother" gave them someone to be mad at and a place to release that anger, instead of who it should really be directed towards.

The internet is our outlet, just as effective as a punching bag.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 03:55 PM
link   

I became numb to internet bullying and name calling about 5 years ago. I was right in the action of the whole creationist vs evolution situation that happened on Youtube, it was nasty, feds got involved, false DMCA claims were made, and lots, and lots of name calling and threatening happened.
People get more aggressive when they can express an opinion behind the keys of a computer, it's quite sad. But, I've been on the 'internet' since it was born into the home user.
I just know that the majority of people who come online are just looking for a fight, looking to stir something, whether it be a simple opinion, or a hate speech, people come online to express their feelings, look at others feelings, and want to be judged or judge.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 03:57 PM
link   

I'm not angry.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 04:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

I'm not angry.
I'm not either, but I can take certain threads and their content personally, which pisses me off , but hopefully not to the point of anger. Maybe frustration is a better description than anger. There are some forums like the philosophy and metaphysics forum that's hard to get angry in, while the social issues and some of the religious threads trigger some pretty strong negative emotions that aren't healthy

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Meh.

Just keep on doin' what you're doin' in these threads when you get angry/frustrated - call a spade a spade, and then walk away from the infantile ridiculousness.

... and then sedate your stress with a nice cold bubbly lager
... or a good swift kick to the neighbour's yappy chihuahua

Whichever one works for you.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 04:36 PM
link   

You can't imagine the drop in blood pressure and frustration once I adopted my new online philosophical strategy*

* I don't give a rats furry butt.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge
lol, nothing beats kicking your neighbours dog.

on topic, i think its just people being honest.
it might be the best policy, even though it highlights that humans are not very nice.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Because everyone gets 'their' say-so on any given topic.

I saw a poll yesterday that opined 61% of the public lacked belief in MSM news. Kind'a says it all.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Why Is Everyone on the Internet So Angry?

They aren't really angry....

Most are just covering up their fear and loneliness....with feigned anger, macho bravado, and hateful comments.

A study of syntax and NLP reveals much....
edit on 25-5-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 09:51 PM
link   
That`s an easy question to answer, because the all the happy people are out socializing and enjoying life while the angry people, whom nobody wants anything to do with, are hold up at home venting their frustrations on the internet.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 09:51 PM
link   
I've thought of it many times. I've come to guess it could very well be an internet Ethos.
Anonimity sure makes people behave in a way they wouldn't dare to in public, in real life.
Maybe it's the moral commandmet to be polite and respectful to other people, when that moral restriction is off, when you take an annonimous persona on the web, the you are tempted to behave in the opposite way. Think of a child who has had his hair cut very short from little, that kid as a grown up will probably hate having short hair.
I don't know really, I'm just thinkinng out loud.

Relevant

top topics

<<   2 >>

join