It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boeing Unveils Amazing, Slightly Terrifying New Electromagnetic Pulse Weapon

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 12:37 PM
link   
"The C.H.A.M.P. is here" but this time it's not ALI it's Boeing's newest weapon whose aim is to take out enemies by disabling their electronics. Champ is short for Counter-electronics High-powered Microwave Advanced Missile Project, and it's a technology that's sure to change the battlefiele.

The weapon in question: Boeing's "CHAMP," short for Counter-electronics High-powered Microwave Advanced Missile Project. It's essentially the old nuclear electromagnetic pulse weapon that we used to worry so much about -- but without the nuclear part. CHAMP carries a small generator that emits microwaves to fry electronics with pinpoint accuracy. It targets not nations or cities but individual buildings, blacking out their electronics rather than blowing up physical targets (or people).

What makes CHAMP even more interesting is that, unlike a nuclear electromagnetic pulse weapon, which fires once, blacking out entire nation-states, CHAMP can fire multiple times, pinpointing and blacking out only essential targets. This would permit, for example, taking down radar defenses in a hostile state, while saving the electrical grid that supports the civilian population. In a 2012 test flight in Utah, a single CHAMP was reported to have blacked out seven separate targets in succession, in one single mission.

My only question is: What happens when/ if this technology gets into the wrong hands? Criminal elements could have a field day with something like this. What says ATS?

www.fool.com...

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 12:40 PM
link   

What happens when/ if this technology gets into the wrong hands?

Too late!

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

For those that don't now the source, The Motley Fool, it is a very reputable investment site with a silly name. They are not into joking about things like this.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 12:54 PM
link   

So this has been tested? Could it be mounted on say, an aircraft. And with pin point capabilities. Take out an airliner?

I see a problem with it falling into the wrong hands.

Never mind. Its a cruise missile...... even better. No need for radar detection. ( I'll just travel by car or boat from now on ).

edit on 25-5-2015 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 12:59 PM
link   

My only question is: What happens when/ if this technology gets into the wrong hands? Criminal elements could have a field day with something like this. What says ATS?

Criminals are going to have a very tough time getting a hold of tech like this for their criminal enterprise.

It's not the movies. No one is going to Fast and Furious this tech away from Boeing.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

Hope you're right. My worry is that a country like china being able to steal this tech. Then using it in the disputed south china sea.
Rest assured. If we maid it. Someone else is in the process of making one too. Or has made it already. No need for Hollywood to figure that out.

This idea has been floating around for some years now. Thankfully it is Boeing's work. But it won't be long before someone tries to copy it.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 01:25 PM
link   
i wonder if this can be used on enemy fighter craft?

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

It's a cruise missile based system by the looks of it, that's almost a sitting duck for a modern day fighter

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bigburgh

So this has been tested? Could it be mounted on say, an aircraft. And with pin point capabilities. Take out an airliner?

Never mind. Its a cruise missile...... even better. No need for radar detection. ( I'll just travel by car or boat from now on ).

I first heard about this in 2012. This weapon does what the Russians claimed their weapon did to the Cook.

Here's a successful test in 2013, and a Boeing source I read said it would be in the operational inventory by 2016.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 02:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

Criminals are going to have a very tough time getting a hold of tech like this for their criminal enterprise.

It's not the movies. No one is going to Fast and Furious this tech away from Boeing.

Who's talking about "fast and furious"?

Also, who knows what "the wrong hands" are? Could already be in the wrong hands, wrong hands could well have funded it for all we know.

/puts tinfoil hat on desk and logs off ats

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Now_Then

Right now it uses the AGM-86 as a base missile for tests. It has been recommended that it be miniaturized and installed in the AGM-158 JASSM-ER, which is a stealthy cruise missile that anyone will have a hard time seeing to kill.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bigburgh

Military aircraft radar systems already use microwaves. AWACS have the dish dome (theaviationist.com...). Fighter aircraft have targeting radar at the front (media.defenceindustrydaily.com...)

I'm guessing, this CHAMP system just cranks up the output and puts the dish on a moveable platform that can be targeted at specific locations.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 03:00 PM
link   

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 03:01 PM
link   

It's technically not an EMP weapon, but a High Powered Microwave weapon. HPMs have a similar effect to EMP weapons, but are more directed and controlled. This is steered to specific target areas.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 03:07 PM
link   

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 06:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Now_Then

originally posted by: yuppa

It's a cruise missile based system by the looks of it, that's almost a sitting duck for a modern day fighter

Heres a thought. Remember how the HELLFIRE was used as a Extra sensor for the warthog at night to fly? There is no reason they cant strip the wings off of this and mount it on a ECM pylon

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 08:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook

Hell, criminal elements can't even make their own plastique, and that's pissant chemistry.

The possibility of them making some vircators or GaN high power microwave sources is very closely approximated to zero.

Also, like so many other sources, Fool gets this one wrong, too. It's not an EMP. It's HPM, which is not the same. And CHAMP's just a nice compact way of doing it - we've had a number of ways to do the same thing for years, and in fact have used them a few times.

eta: most of the later AESA systems have this as an option, by the way. You can wield the array as a close-in anti-electronics weapon. Either air-to-air or air-to-ground. There are ground based anti-missile systems that use AESA components to burn out the electronics in cruise missiles, ground-to-ground missiles etc, see also Vigilant Eagle. (go Raytheon!)
edit on 25-5-2015 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 11:05 PM
link   
a reply to: DiddyMcCoy

memegenerator.net...

think you meant to say censored? not sure what aliens have to do with Boeing's new toy ,but ats does have a wonderfull aliens forum if you would like to bring it up there

on topic good to know Boeing's still on top of the ball defense wise

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 11:12 PM
link   

If they have it the wrong people do as well. Heck, are they the right people? Is anyone? Just a matter of time till it's used. From how far can they aim it? This could be bad.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join