It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Which Country Will be 1st to go Underwater Due to Climate Change?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Bangladesh will be the first country to be swallowed by the sea due to Climate Change because of it's low proximity to sea level. On average it's only 5ft above sea level and by 2085 it could be completely submerged. The Maldives is in the same boat.

It’s not just low-lying island nations either. “A recent study says we can expect the oceans to rise between 2.5 and 6.5 feet (0.8 and 2 meters) by 2100, enough to swamp many of the cities along the U.S. East Coast,” says National Geographic. “More dire estimates, including a complete meltdown of the Greenland ice sheet, push sea level rise to 23 feet (7 meters), enough to submerge London.”

VICE’s season premiere this year covered how sea level rise will devastate coastal communities, specifically focusing on Bangladesh, home to more than 150 million people.

And today, The Miami New Times reports that a Dutch sea level expert, Henk Ovink, is calling Miami, Florida “the new Atlantis” because “Miami will no longer be a land city, but a city in the sea.”

Sea level rise is caused by thermal expansion (when water warms up, it rises), melting glaciers and polar ice caps, and ice loss from Greenland and West Antarctica—all of which are caused by climate change, according to National Geographic.

Earlier this week, NASA scientists reported that a massive ice shelf in West Antarctica will be gone in a few years.

I'm sure these numbers may change as more research is done but this is still worrisome information for sure. What says ATS?

ecowatch.com...

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Climate change, global warming, global cooling....blah, blah, blah.....endless lies in an endless universe....

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Been hearing this mantra since the 70's. Hasn't happened yet. If it ever does, people will either move to higher ground or die.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Atlantis?

One of those towns behind the Dutch Dam that kids finger got stuck in?

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 12:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: semperfortis
Atlantis?

One of those towns behind the Dutch Dam that kids finger got stuck in?

It is called a "dike".

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: semperfortis

Actually, a group of Dutch are suing their government for not doing enough.
thinkprogress.org...

They aren't called the lowlands for nothing.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 12:36 PM
link   
My money is on the country of New Orleans, where they built most of a major city under sea level right next to the sea. Smart planning, with a little luck they're have time to drink and give out beads before heading north.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Aleister

My money is on the country of New Orleans

New Orleans seceded from Louisiana and the US?

edit on 5/25/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 12:39 PM
link   
i'd say Israel...the whole place is below sea level, but i'm sure D.C. will sacrifice as many American lives necessary to prevent that.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

The pacific Islands and Polynesia.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   

BTW, Sea levels have been rising since the end of the last ice age. Since accurate measurement was not possible hundreds of years ago, we only have the last 100 years or so to know the averages.

We can only "delay" the inevitable unless of course we want to create another Ice Age to reverse the reality of the situation.

Regardless, the Carbon Credit Scam (the real goal) is not the solution.

www.climate.gov...
What our tools are telling us

Taking information from both tidal records and satellites into consideration, the latest report from the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change concluded that sea level rose around 0.07 inches (1.7 millimeters) per year between 1901 and 2010.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Italy...Vienna is already halfway there. Then USA east coast because the Atlantic is shallow compared to the Pacific. Of course that would affect Europe too. Any lands on the Atlantic coast from Greenland to the cape of good hope.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   

The entire city of New Orleans is below sea level. The levies (hello Katrina) are what keeps the gulf at bay. (Pun definitely intended).

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: AutumnWitch657

Actually Vienna isn't in Italy yet and won't be until after Italy declares war on Austria and takes the city.

I think maybe you might have meant Venice. Venice, Italy, that is, not California.

Although what with earthquakes and tsunamis and such Venice California could be on the list.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Oh be honest Phage they were never really a part of us anyway. LOL.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Surely you mean Venice? Vienna is in Austria half way up the Alps. Should be safe enough in Vienna. And Italy is not flat so unless you are on the coast - no problem.

Rat

Edit: You beat me to it TonyS
edit on 25-5-2015 by Ratman because: To give credit

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Of course they did, its a French conspiracy...

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS
Oh shoot do I feel stupid. Of course I meant Venice. Thanks guys.
You guys had way better answers anyway. Look if Vienna goes underwater we're all in trouble. Ocean front in Phoenix trouble.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Don't feel bad...blame the blasted damn keyboard, that's what I do.

Vienna is probably one of the most beautiful cities in the entire world; if you like fantastic architecture, art, tree lined boulevards, great food and some of the best music ever produced, you'll love Vienna.

Actually....if Vienna goes under...there wouldn't be much left to live for anyway.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 01:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: teslahowitzer
Climate change, global warming, global cooling....blah, blah, blah.....endless lies in an endless universe....

I'm hoping they bring back the next ice age talk!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join