It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McDonalds Responds To Minimum Wage Protests (hoax)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Xtrozero

And there are jobs to make a living wage, but some of those job are trade style jobs. You have to have a high school education at least for them, sometimes some trade school, and you definitely have to have work ethic - electricians, plumbers, carpenters, truck drivers and the like and others.

good post.
crazy how being a responsible person with a good work ethic can take you places.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Mugly what happens when the robot is more responsible with a better work ethic

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mugly

good post.
crazy how being a responsible person with a good work ethic can take you places.

I had this guy that worked for me in the Air Force who retired and went back east. He became an apprentice plumber and within 1 1/2 years he was a fully unionized plumber, something that may take 5 years as an apprenticeship. I asked him what was his secret and he told me it was simple. Go to work on time, do not be drunk or high, work the job, and actually come back after lunch. The only negative thing to his apprenticeship was he worked too fast and had to slow down to union guidelines on how long a job should take to perform.

Some things are just too hard for many....

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 01:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: woodwardjnr
a reply to: Mugly what happens when the robot is more responsible with a better work ethic

Hmm maybe focus your career on a job that a robot or illegal alien can't not do.... just a thought. I was a Flight Engineer in the Air Force for about 28 years and today their isn't too many of them left, but hey I still make a good wage since I do something else...

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 01:22 PM
link   
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Unions screwing up big time here apparently. See these protest were funded by unions and they made Mcdonalds cut their work forces. Sure you get 15 bucks a hr,but now you have way less people and more people on welfare. A win win for the government.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 01:22 PM
link   
No article so I can't really tell but those machines look like they don't take cash. If so that's a huge market to lose.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: woodwardjnr

there will always be work out there for people that are dependable and have a good work ethic.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
a reply to: ketsuko

And you never once made a mistake?

I would find that very hard to believe.

I agree 15 is to high, but think we can reevaluate what the min wage is when we look at the inflation our currency has been thru.

And yes these used to be for highscoolers, but news flash guys. Our economy has been in the gutter for some time now and people are taking jobs where they can get them.

Oh, are we playing that game? If I'm not perfect, I can't criticize?

If the problem is that the economy is broken, then let's fix the economy rather than accept that this is the new normal and just take it in the shorts like peasants and assume that burger flipping is the new family support mechanism.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Oh....
I've never really come across anything like that myself.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Muglyeven more for the robot that can do exactly the same as a human without having to pay it.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

being on time, not calling off and doing a good job goes a long way.
a lot of people can not even manage to that.

the people that usually do the complaining about not having a job or not having a good paying job are more often than not the people that cant seem to get their act together.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

I don't know why they just don't go fully automated. I'm sure they could build machines to form a burger out of whatever substance that they use, send em thru an oven and plop on the toppings. Same with fries and everything else. They'd just need someone to watch over the process, clean up and hit a reset button when the glop jams the machines.

MMMmm mmm good.
edit on 25-5-2015 by Gully because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: AzureSky
90% of the workforce can, and eventually will be replaced by robots.
So what happens then? How does the current economy even manage to keep going if there are no people to spend money to keep it going. We're going to have to adapt sooner or later.

Learn to serve the robot masters. Install them, program them, repair them.....those are good-paying jobs.

Just not jobs for the people unmotivated to learn...

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 01:46 PM
link   
This is rather pathetic thread, with people on their high horses patronising people who lose their jobs due to automation. It's embarrassing seeing you all pat each other on the back instilling your work ethic jargon on others. Your not kidding anyone apart from each other massaging your collective egos

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 01:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

If the problem is that the economy is broken, then let's fix the economy rather than accept that this is the new normal and just take it in the shorts like peasants and assume that burger flipping is the new family support mechanism.

If I was rich I would love to do an experiment and pick 100 people in poor areas that are in their 30s and have not done anything with their lives in a positive way and teach them a viable skill and ethics, then see how that all works out for them.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 01:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: EternalSolace
Now here's the real kicker. If those automated kiosks were powered by IBM's Watson, would it ask for a raise?

Maybe not...but it will expect a sizable bonus at the end of the year.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 01:51 PM
link   
This isn't new. The last time I was at Smithsonian all the food was this way. And the lines. Oh the lines were killer, the kiosk can't answer questions. Kids look for what they always get and its not on the menu.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 01:52 PM
link   
The song pretty much explains itself. Soon, people will look back, and wish they didn't have all the "augmentations" that will be coming about in the new future. How long will they need workers? I know of so many industries that are replacing humans with robotics. Railroad, Boeing, the list goes on, and on, and on. Then you have the co-founder of Google wanting to make robots that can be programmed to manage humanity (kill). I wonder what the world will be like in 20 years....

Edit: SKYNET isn't far off if it keeps up at the pace it is going. Sad but true.

Three Days Grace - I am Machine:

edit on 5/25/2015 by InFriNiTee because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mugly
a reply to: johnwick

not true.
factory jobs still pay good wages and you can live on it.

it is not just about what you earn.
you have to know how to mange your money and set priorities as well.
you have to keep your credit in good standing.

there is more to it than what you earn.

there is a thread on here where a member is talking about borrowing money from friends and then wanting to know how he can continue to overdraw his bank account to get cash.

it is those kind of practices that cause people to not have a good living situation. more so than the wage they make.
at least that is what i have seen.

my brother is a young guy. 22 years old and already has 2 kids. he can not seem to hold a job. he gets called in for interviews at places that pay really well but cant pass a drug test. instead of saving some money he spends 200 dollars on shoes.
no wonder he is in a bad financial situation.

What factories?

Because there are several around here non pay anything.

Most make maybe $15 if they have been there for 10 years.

Credit doesn't matter when you pay cash for everything.

If you make low wages, even if you are a financial genius you are still broke.

It is barely enough to survive on for most of these workers.

There is nothing left after basic expenses.

So it isn't even like they can invest it smartly.

Most can't even go out and do anything, because they don't have any extra money.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Eventually places like this will have a high paid worker or two.......The rest will be automated. You will need a tech to oversee and a manager to deal with humans.

If you have no skills you are about to be left behind.......And before you say these are somewhat skilled jobs let me give a little perspective. If it only takes a day or two of training it is not skilled labor. Many industries that include even skilled labor will be replaced in time. Machining is my skill and eventually it will be replaced with 3d printing. I will retool myself and learn 3d printing to stay current.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join