It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McDonalds Responds To Minimum Wage Protests (hoax)

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Now here's the real kicker. If those automated kiosks were powered by IBM's Watson, would it ask for a raise?

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: thesaneone

I bet they make plenty just fine, no one is perfect.

Ever seen a McDonalds at a rush?
God forbid they left a pickle on your burger when they have to pump out 20 in the next 5 min.

Wonder how many of the people that criticize their work and how hard it is or isn't know what it is like...

I agree that fifteen is high, but hey they just got rid of some overhead so that freed up some cash right?

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

McDonald's no, but I carhopped a Sonic and worked the drink station. So I know what fast food is like. It isn't all that hard to dial it in and pay attention to details.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I used to be against these self checkouts but more and more I see people who don't seem to care at all about their job so if they don't care I guess why should I then. When I go to a store that has them I almost always use them now.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 12:33 PM
link   
My neighbor owned a Quiznos and what people do not understand is these are small business owners with tight margins. You are not sticking it to The Man with 15 bucks an hour, you are sticking it to your neighbor. He would go to work before I got up and come home when I was sitting on my front balcony already drinking a couple of beers after I got home from work.

I worked 1/2 his hours and brought home 2x what he made and he finally had to give it up and become a manager for a corporation. Now he works a lot less and makes more, but the big loss is the 8 jobs he once supported in a community that really needs them.

edit on 25-5-2015 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: johnwick

It's a big deal if you were the order taker.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 12:37 PM
link   
We are told that 'it's the squeaky wheel that gets the grease', but in todays throw-away society, people should realize that the squeaky wheel gets replaced instead. This is a prime example.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 12:40 PM
link   
What ever happened to the pimple face high schooler taking your order for minimum wage and loving it? Today we have adults that want to feed their family with the same job, and complain it is not a living wage. I find it hard to blame these companies since their model has not changed, just the employee. With that I think the whole 15 bucks an hour is a deflection from the administration to put their failures on the shoulders of companies by saying the issue is with them not paying enough when the real issue is these are pimple face kid jobs and the real jobs to make a living wage are not to be found.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 12:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero
My neighbor owned a Quiznos and what people do not understand is these are small business owners with tight margins. You are not sticking it to The Man with 15 bucks an hour, you are sticking it to your neighbor. He would go to work before I got up and come home when I was sitting on my front balcony already drinking a couple of beers after I got home from work.

I worked 1/2 his hours and brought home 2x what he made and he finally had to give it up and become a manager for a corporation. Now he works a lot less and makes more, but the big loss is the 8 jobs he once supported in a community that really needs them.

Exactly. People don't realize that it is not McDonalds paying the help. It is the franchisee. Unless you own multiple locations, you don't necessarily make all that much profit.

Order takers press a key on a computerized cash register, take your money, then turn around and handle your food. That has always turned me off. Do you KNOW the germs they have discovered on money?!

If the register didn't tell them how much change to give back, most of them couldn't figure it out. More and more of these types of jobs are going to be automated. It's inevitable.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

And there are jobs to make a living wage, but some of those job are trade style jobs. You have to have a high school education at least for them, sometimes some trade school, and you definitely have to have work ethic - electricians, plumbers, carpenters, truck drivers and the like and others.

A lot of the unemployed either don't have the high school education, don't have the work ethic, or they bought into the idea that you have to have a college degree and now they have loans that won't let those trade jobs be living wage jobs thanks to the loan payments. Or some combination.

I have a cousin who completed high school and has tremendous work ethic. He does very well as a truck driver, driving locally, for his family.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ultralight

It's a big deal if you were the order taker.

Without a doubt.

But they didn't fire the order taker, they just give them other tasks, and when they lose a couple people, they are just don't rehire for those now automated jobs.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 12:51 PM
link   
90% of the workforce can, and eventually will be replaced by robots.
So what happens then? How does the current economy even manage to keep going if there are no people to spend money to keep it going. We're going to have to adapt sooner or later.
Half of america is poverty/near poverty. If wages had kept up with inflation, there wouldn't be a problem. But it hasn't. Some people need to work 4 jobs to keep a roof over their head. 50% of students don't have a job and can't repay their loans.

So next credit bubble to burst is student loan. I worked for 16 an hour and couldn't pay the stupid loan. It was either rent/food or student loan. Guess which i chose.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   
So, will the rest of the staff soon strike in an attempt to get a higher pay? Now that McD's has eliminated some wage laborers, they should throw a few bones at the rest of the staff.

But that's won't happen. I'm still not sure why McD's hasn't turned the entire place into a gigantic vending machine. They should at least do it to one location to test the public's reaction.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 12:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Xtrozero

And there are jobs to make a living wage, but some of those job are trade style jobs. You have to have a high school education at least for them, sometimes some trade school, and you definitely have to have work ethic - electricians, plumbers, carpenters, truck drivers and the like and others.

A lot of the unemployed either don't have the high school education, don't have the work ethic, or they bought into the idea that you have to have a college degree and now they have loans that won't let those trade jobs be living wage jobs thanks to the loan payments. Or some combination.

I have a cousin who completed high school and has tremendous work ethic. He does very well as a truck driver, driving locally, for his family.

Not really.

Factory jobs used to pay enough to buy a home etc....

Now most except for nonexistent union factory's pay between $8 and $15 tops.

Warehouse jobs same thing basically.

Construction jobs are hard to come by.

$15 for me as a hod carrier, $20 to be a mason.

Mexican $8 no matter what.

Hhmmmm.

Who you think gets the most work?

How many Mexicans are there here now?

Guess where most of the males work.....

Good work is hard to find everywhere.

link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

College is the biggest scam of the last 40 years. These colleges created totally useless degrees for people who are either not smart enough for a real degree or do not have the work ethic to accomplish a real degree. They are/were told that this "degree" is worth 100k a year, just sign here and pay your 60k to get it. They then found out that the degree got them head fryer that Burger King and they still owe 60k to the school. Welcome to the 99%er club...

In the mean time their buddy took an apprentice plumber job out of high school and within two years was actually making that 100k with no debt...hehe

link   
a reply to: ketsuko

And you never once made a mistake?

I would find that very hard to believe.

I agree 15 is to high, but think we can reevaluate what the min wage is when we look at the inflation our currency has been thru.

And yes these used to be for highscoolers, but news flash guys. Our economy has been in the gutter for some time now and people are taking jobs where they can get them.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 12:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan
Five non-skilled entry level humans wanting $15 an hour, replaced with easy to use machines. Who could have foreseen this coming? A lot of us. McDonalds just saved itself a ton of headaches and a lot of money. That's how a business operates and stays in the black.

yep.
i think it is kind of funny.
these entry level, no skill workers that can not manage to get the cash register right protest and request/demand a higher wage. well, now looks like they are getting no wage.

working the register at mcdonalds does not warrant 15 an hour.
there are people with degrees and in trade positions that do not make that much.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

It's a smart idea-Why pay a young person that is trying to pay off tuition fees when a machine can work for a few cents an hour? it's a no brainer. While we are at it lets replace all the low income workers with machines and cut out the middle men!

I've said it before and I'll say it again-autonomous labor needs to be regulated.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 01:04 PM
link   

not true.
factory jobs still pay good wages and you can live on it.

it is not just about what you earn.
you have to know how to mange your money and set priorities as well.
you have to keep your credit in good standing.

there is more to it than what you earn.

there is a thread on here where a member is talking about borrowing money from friends and then wanting to know how he can continue to overdraw his bank account to get cash.

it is those kind of practices that cause people to not have a good living situation. more so than the wage they make.
at least that is what i have seen.

my brother is a young guy. 22 years old and already has 2 kids. he can not seem to hold a job. he gets called in for interviews at places that pay really well but cant pass a drug test. instead of saving some money he spends 200 dollars on shoes.
no wonder he is in a bad financial situation.

edit on 25-5-2015 by Mugly because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: johnwick

Factory jobs used to pay enough to buy a home etc....

What do you mean by factory jobs. The jobs that are manual labor with low skill pay as you say, but most that involve a skill and more importantly the need to not make errors pay a lot more. Go to Boeing and the average income for a floor tech is 35 to 60 bucks an hour for a company with 180k employees. Now a fork lift operator in a warehouse might get 15 to 20 bucks an hour

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join