It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

International Flag of Planet Earth?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 03:36 AM
link   
A Swedish student has designed an International Flag for Planet Earth, apparently aimed for use in future intergalactic missions.
www.cbc.ca...

Perhaps it's not the first such flag, although this one already seems to have won favor across social media.
Many like it and argue it will unite the planet, and we can all hold hands and be happy together now.

I'm not so sure, and find it very troubling.

Firstly, what if that symbol means something very insulting in an alien language?
For all we know it could mean "Screw you scum!"
It reminds me of the movie "Mars Attacks", where a New Age hipster releases a dove, thinking it means peace, but for some reason the Martians find it so offensive in their culture that they begin to genocide the entire human race.

We might be very close to open alien contact, and we don't know which of our transmissions they see, or how they view us.

I'd argue that every country should go into space with their own flag.
I don't want to be associated with many cultures and states on the planet under a single flag.
That offends me as an Earthling.

At least if the aliens only take offense at one country or flag, they might leave the others alone.

They might think we're all like ISIS, for example, and nuke the whole planet.

A singular flag to represent all humans is very risky, and should never be taken into space.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Why not a flag that symbolizes earth? like earth locked in a prison.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Unveiling a world flag is a very small step on the way to unity. For too long our planet has been divided by primitive notions and its about time we stopped pointing out our differences. Soon the world will seem like a very small place and i dont mean because of overdevolpment and overpopulation but i mean the time will come when mankind will venture further than it ever has and i for one would like to be represented as 1 nation as this clearly shows we are a complex species capable of not only technological advancements but civil and social too.
And if we are lucky this may lead to disclosure and an alliance from a like minded civilisation.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 03:50 AM
link   
a reply to: halfoldman

S& FLAG......even though this has been posted twice already on the 19th and earlier today

www.abovetopsecret.com...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 03:51 AM
link   
a reply to: thomadom

This won't come about until we are in perpetual balance with nature... billions must die. Malthus and Bill Gates agree.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 03:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft
Oops, I figured I searched for "earth flag" and got nothing.
However, my slant is different from the other OPs.
But thanks.
Clearly it's a wider topic than I realized.

More generally though I don't see that uniformly we're such an advanced species.
Sure we're capable of good and bad (some ideologies more than others), but I don't want other people's "badness" attached to me.
My own, or my ancestors maybe, as bad as it was, but not that of other horrible people and cultures too.

edit on 25-5-2015 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 04:05 AM
link   
a reply to: CynicalSinningSaint

Believe me i agree too. But theres no reason those of us who seek peace now should avoid the steps to it.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 05:03 AM
link   
Not sure if I'm the first to notice this, but the astronaut looks like he's going to pee right by the flag in the picture.

One small step for a man; one huge territorial whizz for mankind?

Somebody get that dude another dozen beers!

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 05:09 AM
link   
a reply to: thomadom

Yea, I'm betting theres a lot of peaceful people, past and present, who have been forcibly sterilized with GMO and vaccines. The only warmongers that really affect things are the bankers and money changers who perennially foment war in their endeavor to lord over a small, controllable group of compliant little serfs who bend to their will.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 05:10 AM
link   
It looks similar to the flower of life.

And why assume aliens judge a whole planet just on one group of humans? Or that they quickly get offended and start wars? I don't think a flag representing Earth is a dangerous idea.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 05:34 AM
link   
Doesn't the flag need a motto or slogan ?

We will fight into perpetuity

over things indiscernible.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 05:42 AM
link   
i've seen that before,.... when I was 5 and had a spirograph

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 05:49 AM
link   
a reply to: CynicalSinningSaint

You summed it up so well! But not everyone is oblivious to this. I will never comply nor bend whatever their agenda.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 06:07 AM
link   
a reply to: halfoldman

It's a cool-looking flag...nice. The sentiment behind it is even cooler and, whilst we have war approaching, it's always good to be reminded that we share this planet.

"The space travelers, however, are more than just representatives of their own countries," he wrote. "They are representatives of planet Earth."

I suppose this flag is out of the question?? Just joking! : )

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 06:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gully
spirograph

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 06:22 AM
link   
I suggest a relevant flag could be a white flag symbolizing a blank slate, the Earth's dependence on light, the fact humanity has effectively surrendered to politics and has power by rule, and on that white background, a red circle representing the iron core and links to the sun, a brown area surrounding that for rocks, a green layer round that for vegetation, a blue layer round that for water and atmosphere and a purple layer round that for recognition of celestial forces, magnetism, consciousness, spirituality.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 06:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Gully

It's a flower of life. It's encoded with the golden ratio of phi. Drawing lines between the locus of the circles forms the overlapping tetrahedrons depicted in the Seal of Solomon or the Star of David.

As above, so below. It's funny how it even has the same color scheme as the Israeli flag.
edit on 5 25 15 by CynicalSinningSaint because: too much, too soon

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 06:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: halfoldman
A Swedish student has designed an International Flag for Planet Earth, apparently aimed for use in future intergalactic missions.
www.cbc.ca...

Perhaps it's not the first such flag, although this one already seems to have won favor across social media.
Many like it and argue it will unite the planet, and we can all hold hands and be happy together now.

I'm not so sure, and find it very troubling.

Firstly, what if that symbol means something very insulting in an alien language?
For all we know it could mean "Screw you scum!"
It reminds me of the movie "Mars Attacks", where a New Age hipster releases a dove, thinking it means peace, but for some reason the Martians find it so offensive in their culture that they begin to genocide the entire human race.

We might be very close to open alien contact, and we don't know which of our transmissions they see, or how they view us.

I'd argue that every country should go into space with their own flag.
I don't want to be associated with many cultures and states on the planet under a single flag.
That offends me as an Earthling.

At least if the aliens only take offense at one country or flag, they might leave the others alone.

They might think we're all like ISIS, for example, and nuke the whole planet.

A singular flag to represent all humans is very risky, and should never be taken into space.

In mars attacks, they came to attack us, the dove had nothing to do with it.

They came to cause genocide, the dove was just the opening shot.

As far as the rest....

I think much more advantageous to go into space under one banner.

If they see many flags, they will think us divided and weak, easy pickings.

It is much better to show a united people than a divided people.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 07:01 AM
link   
a reply to: johnwick
Thanks, but I interpret Mars Attacks differently.

I feel the Martians were OK until humans brought out the faulty translation machine and the dove.

But I think it's deliberately unclear in the movie, and open to interpretation.

Although comedy, it raised all manner of questions on communicating with a strange species, and even reflected on our own colonial disasters.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 07:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: halfoldman
a reply to: johnwick
Thanks, but I interpret Mars Attacks differently.

I feel the Martians were OK until they brought out the translation machine and the dove.

But I think it's deliberately unclear in the movie, and open to interpretation.

No it was pretty clear.

They mobilized for war, sent their giant army, and attacked.

The part about meeting diplomats and the dove were strategic deception on the part of the martians.

We interpreted their shooting the dove as you are in the movie.

Telling themselves "we offended them with the dove, so they attacked".

When they obviously came to attack in the first place.

They just used that incident to meet congress and wipe them out.

You know, the same way the martians are running around saying "come back, we're your friends" while they shoot everyone.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join