It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EU nationals without UK passports should not have the vote in a UK referendum on EU membership

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: TheShippingForecast
That's the same rules we have for general elections which are (reasonably) successfully run every 5 years.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

I do have a problem with overseas Brits getting the vote. They don't live here.

But government has signalled their intention to allow them the vote. It's now entirely up to Parliament to decide who gets the vote and who doesn't. But it's not a manifesto issue and the House of Lords has every right to contribute to the debate. And of course there's no Tory majority there. So we'll see.

The practical issues are very real. I've never once said they were insurmountable.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot
You agreed with Solo????????!!!!!!! In finest ATS tradition I demand a link or it didn't happen.
Don't see why it should have to be a yes/no question. Two clear options could be offered regarding leaving or staying in the UK.

Haha! Here you go: www.abovetopsecret.com...

I hear you but I also heard Alex Salmond the other day saying that having the 'Yes' option is one of the most important considerations in any referendum. Something about the psychology of it and the perceived negativity of the word 'No'.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: ScepticScot

With respect it isn't.
The 5 milion plus Brits living overseas have (with a few exceptions) no right to vote in UK elections.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 11:26 AM
link   

You never heard of the Parliament Act?
A majority government can do pretty much whatever it likes if it's MP's agree to it, regardless of the House of Lords.
The fox hunting ban was forced through with the Parliament Act.
House of Lords is an annoying distraction at best.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 11:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

What? You want consistency based on the voting rights the Scottish government decided last year? Is that what you are saying?
The UK is having a referendum and the UK government is deciding on who can vote on it. EU nationals cannot vote, and neither can 16/17 year olds.
So the Scots had different rules, so what?
The Scots aren't calling the shots this time, and I'll admit I just laughed out loud when the news just came on Radio One that the SNP are calling for 16/17 year olds to get the vote. Haha, those 56 SNP MP's can do nothing about it, unlucky.

I think you would only truly be happy if the Government decided that only people planning on voting to leave the E.U could vote.

i have a feeling you will be bleating for many years after the U.K has voted to stay in the E.U. I say this as the last poll conducted, just before the election, only had 18% of the U.K wanting to leave.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 11:27 AM
link   
And on this, like so many thing Salmond was 100% right. That is why in the interests of fairness I think yes/no questions should be avoided in referendum.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 11:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheShippingForecast

With respect it isn't.
The 5 milion plus Brits living overseas have (with a few exceptions) no right to vote in UK elections.
Are you just making stuff up?
www.gov.uk...

You can register as an overseas voter for up to 15 years after leaving the UK, as long as:

you’re a British citizen
you were registered to vote in the UK within the previous 15 years (or, in some cases, if you were too young to have registered when you left the UK)

...or are you just trolling?

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 11:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheShippingForecast

With respect it isn't.

You better tell the electoral commission as they seem think you can.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

Come now, don't be silly, perhaps comment on the issues instead of whatever it is you think about me.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Agreed, but I'd faint with shock if it it turned out to be anything other than yes or no.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Well, it's all moot now as you said, so I guess there's no longer any point in debating a decision that has already been made.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I really hope you guys join because Germany can't bailout 4 or 5 countries all by themselves..

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978

Well, it's all moot now as you said, so I guess there's no longer any point in debating a decision that has already been made.

You're welcome to ignore the thread of course, the decision has been made after all.
Maybe time to start an "EU referendum, in or out?" thread, but personally I'm holding fire until the Queen's speech this week.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 11:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero
I really hope you guys join because Germany can't bailout 4 or 5 countries all by themselves..
I nearly chuckled then, but what you say is an unfortunate reality for German citizens.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 11:49 AM
link   

You're welcome to ignore the thread of course, the decision has been made after all.
Maybe time to start an "EU referendum, in or out?" thread, but personally I'm holding fire until the Queen's speech this week.

I look forward to it.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 11:50 AM
link   

I look forward to it.
So do I, but I guarantee the mods aren't.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 12:02 PM
link   
2nd posts
edit on 25-5-2015 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 12:02 PM
link   

I nearly chuckled then, but what you say is an unfortunate reality for German citizens.

I'm wondering if EU is a failed project. There are too many countries that are dragging it down like Greece/Cyprus, Spain, Italy, Portugal to name the top. The problem in these countries is their socialized systems are failing with too much government and not enough private sector to support and I do not see it changing anytime soon. Huge debt, huge unemployment, huge government corruption etc doesn't leave much left for improvement. I would not be surprised if Germany went back to the Mark.

edit on 25-5-2015 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero
I'm wondering if EU is a failed project.
I share similar sentiments, and my sense of relief is strong when I think of the Euro and the decision made in the UK to keep our GBP£.
It is obvious I am supporting a vote for the UK to now leave the EU as well. 8 Billion pounds a year membership fees and for what benefit I cannot see. Germany will still wish to sell us BMW's/Merc's etc so trade agreements will be formed like we have with nations outside the EU.
The UK can put that 8 Billion to far better use on our own people without the need for an EU 3rd party involved.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join