It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EU nationals without UK passports should not have the vote in a UK referendum on EU membership

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 07:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: theabsolutetruth
Decision has been made.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

EU referendum: Foreigners barred from historic vote
Only British, Irish and Commonwealth citizens who are resident in the UK will be allowed to vote in the referendum on Britain's membership of the European Union

More than 1million foreigners living in Britain will be banned from voting in the EU referendum, the Conservatives have announced, in a significant boost to Eurosceptic campaigners.

David Cameron believes that the British people must decide the future of the nation's membership of the European Union in the first referendum for more than 40 years.

Yay! That makes me smile.
I'd rather an Aussie bloke with parents who were born in the UK, living and working here, getting the vote than a guy from Hungary who can't speak much English and has zero historical ties with these islands.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 07:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

Yay! That makes me smile.
I'd rather an Aussie bloke with parents who were born in the UK, living and working here, getting the vote than a guy from Hungary who can't speak much English and has zero historical ties with these islands.

Ten minutes ago you didn't want Commonwealth or Irish citizens participating at all.
Ten minutes ago you wanted "passport papers please" as folk walked in to vote.
Now it's "Yay !" for something you were arguing against ten minutes ago !

Grain of sand ? You're as consistent as a sand castle.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 07:45 PM
link   
a reply to: TheShippingForecast

...the tide comes in twice a day

*Edit*
Oh, and I didn't say anything about Commonwealth or Irish citizens participating, at all.
You brought that into the conversation, not me.

edit on 24.5.2015 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 07:51 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

Sensible politics at last!

Next step is to see how Brussels talks proceed. Either way the referendum will be 2017 or sooner.

I think the EU has to be more flexible to exist as a worthy union for it's members. It has already too much negativity and there is too much strain on nations like the UK being the go to pocket of Europe.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Mr Cameron will on Monday step up his campaign to win back more powers from Brussels by hosting Jean Claude Juncker, the president of the European Commission, at his Chequers country residence for dinner.
Mr Juncker is reportedly planning push the Prime Minister to hold the referendum in 2016 or "as soon as possible" despite concerns that this will not give Britain time to secure reforms.

Mr Cameron has said he is committed to holding a referendum by 2017 at the latest, but has suggested he is prepared to hold one sooner if negotiations with Brussels prove successful.
The Prime Minister will set out his plans to bar foreign jobseekers claiming benefits and deport them from the UK if they do not find work within six months, which he has described as an "absolute requirement".
After delivering the Queen's Speech on Wednesday the Prime Minister will embark on a two-day diplomatic offensive as he travels 3,000 miles and visits Denmark, Holland, France, Poland and Germany.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 07:52 PM
link   

... and demolishes the sand castle.

Still, grains of sand in the wrong place are an irritant, as any man who's been to the beach will testify.

At least your presence will never pass unnoticed

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 07:58 PM
link   

True, I enjoy sharing my message on ATS

*Edit*
...and my current message is that people who do not hold a valid UK passport have no right to vote in the referendum on membership of the EU by the UK.

...all reasoned arguments for or against are welcome, but lame emotional whinging is not.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 08:36 PM
link   

I'll tell you what isn't welcome in any debate in which I participate.

Someone who edits their posts after their opponent has replied to them, as you've done throughout this thread.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Stop whinging, quote me and pull me up on the words you see post edit.
Don't be a victim.

*EDIT*
And what is the 'opponent' thing all about?! Haha!
Are you in a battle or something?
I'm not.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 08:57 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 09:05 PM
link   

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 09:20 PM
link   

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 09:23 PM
link   

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 09:48 PM
link   

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Yes I agree
I'm a British national living in Canada. can vote locally but not federal. Well I just don't vote at all.
I suppose that's the same then. So they can't vote federally right?

However I am a tax payer and really now I think about I surely should have rights on who I want as mayor of my town. I pay local and federal taxes.

So maybe I don't agree if they are paying city taxes and such.
I've not applied for citizenship either. If I do I can vote federal or national elections, but as I said I don't vote, don't keep up with who's best to choose, none are. So I don't vote,
edit on 24-5-2015 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Here you go...

Who can vote in the referendum

Citizens from most EU countries living in the UK will not get a vote in the referendum on Europe, No 10 has said.

The franchise will be broadly the same as for a general election, rather than local or European elections.

Irish citizens in the UK are eligible. Residents from two other EU nations, Malta and Cyprus, also qualify, along with others from the Commonwealth.

Agree with this.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 03:49 AM
link   
I think we need to get it done quickly, for the sake of UK businesses who will need to change their plans accordingly. Just hope we get an educated debate on the real issues rather than just a one sided anti EU grudge drowning out any opposition.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Why are we talking about bloody Scotland again? Yes, the referendum turned me against the Scottish and I am an Ulster-Scot! No Scot will ever get a job with me!
EU citizens most definitely should NOT get a say in the referendum, it is their presence here that has whipped up such a desire for the vote that it would be a farce to give them a vote.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 05:07 AM
link   
a reply to: theabsolutetruth

There's a reason why the referendum won't be held anytime before 2017. Britain wants out and an exit means catastrophic consequences for the EU. The EU won't even exist by that time which means nobody gets to vote.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 06:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Boeing777

The EU is certainly a bit of a mess at the moment and the Greece thing likely to compound that.

Though Juncker wants a UK referendum ASAP as it won't give enough time to secure reforms and Cameron wants it 2017 but sooner if Brussels talks ''go well''.

I think the EU isn't at collapse stage yet, it has too much vested interest from powerful nations so it hasn't much choice but for flexibility, especially if other member states agree on certain things, such as those Cameron is proposing.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 06:46 AM
link   
a reply to: theabsolutetruth

Did we work out if Yanis Varoufakis really is married to the girl Jarvis Cocker sang about in Common People? Or was that just rumour?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join