It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EU nationals without UK passports should not have the vote in a UK referendum on EU membership

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 05:05 PM
link   
The upcoming vote on independence from the EU by the UK should not be influenced by over a million EU nationals living in the UK who have not sought British citizenship, in my opinion.
Currently EU nationals who have not gained UK passports can vote in local council elections and for Members of the European Parliament. They cannot vote in General elections deciding the government of the UK.
For the same reason I advocate that they should not have any right to vote in the upcoming referendum on independence from the EU.
It is a UK wide national issue, and as non-nationals I fail to see how they have any right to vote on the issue.

I'm crashing out soon so my thread management will not be as efficient as usual but I ask ATS do you think non-nationals of the UK living here, who have not applied for citizenship or a British passport, should have the right to vote in the upcoming referendum on EU membership.
Over a million EU nationals is a large amount of people and it can be assumed that the majority of them will vote to remain in the EU.
So, should those non UK nationals have the right to vote on a UK issue of independence?

Citizens of EU countries other than the UK, the Republic of Ireland, Cyprus and Malta cannot vote in UK Parliamentary general elections, but can vote at local government elections, Scottish Parliamentary elections if they are registered in Scotland, National Assembly for Wales elections if they are registered in Wales and Greater London Authority elections if they are registered in London.
www.electoralcommission.org.uk...
I consider a UK wide referendum on the UK's membership of the EU to be on a par with rights to vote on the government of the UK.
EU nationals cannot currently vote in a UK general election for national government so for the same reasons I oppose any demands that they can vote on questions of the UK and independence from the EU.

...more than a million people who are not from the UK having the vote ,but enjoying the benefits of the UK being in the EU is something I find difficult to support or justify as reasonable.
All thoughts welcome.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I agree.

And English people shouldn't vote in Scottish independence referendums either.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: TheShippingForecast

Yep, and that was the case in the last Scottish independence referendum. I support that as well. It should be a Scottish decision alone.
*Edit*
The EU decision should be made by Welsh, English, Scottish, and Northern Irish citizens, plus those EU nationals who have gained UK passports. Nobody else.
edit on 24.5.2015 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 05:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheShippingForecast
I agree.

PLaying devil's advocate here but :

What about Scottish people living in England ?
What about English people living in Scotland ?

Get's fecking trick very fast doesn't it!

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 05:20 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

No it wasn't.
English (and EU) citizens living in Scotland could vote in the Scottish independence referendum.

That's surely as unfair as EU citizens voting in a British referendum.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 05:22 PM
link   
a reply to: yorkshirelad

No that was solved easily, only people registered as voters in Scotland had the vote. I agreed with that.
I do not agree with EU nationals having the vote in a referendum on the UK and independence from the EU.
...and from what I am reading so far it appears they will not. I keep my fingers crossed.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 05:25 PM
link   

The Scottish government set the rules for the last Scottish independence referendum, take your whinging up with them.
It was not a UK decision, same with the 16/17 yr olds getting the vote, solely a Scottish government decision.
Don't be bitching about the UK when it was a solely Scottish decision.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 05:34 PM
link   

So the Scottish Government now has authority over constitutional referendums ?
That's a huge concession. Everyone else thinks it's a reserved matter for Westminster, everyone that is apart from you.

The franchise for the Scottish referendum was jointly agreed by the UK and Scottish governments.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Oh behave, the Scottish government set the rules for the referendum last year and you know it.
Go whinge to Holyrood, they had the power over that vote.
I am talking about a vote which is about the UK deciding if it wants to be independent of the EU or not. I do not believe people who do not hold British passports should have any vote in it.
If you wanna whinge about the Scottish referendum last year then start your own thread. Don't pollute mine with your off topic whinging.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 05:46 PM
link   

That's surely as unfair as EU citizens voting in a British referendum.

Why? People living in Scotland - all people - have a vested interest in a referendum that could significantly change their status. Is it just the English you don't like voting, or do you count others, perhaps those who are half Scottish - the "Mudbloods".

As the forthcoming EU referendum, I think that if you can register to vote and live in the UK as your home, then you have a vested interest in the referendum outcome.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 05:49 PM
link   

I too believe in the principle of self determination. I think British citizens born and resident within it's territorial limits should be the basis for the franchise for the referendum on continued EU membership (with the few usual exceptions, servicemen serving overseas being allowed, prisoners being denied etc).

That's fair to me. And if you believe in fairness, I'm sure you and others will ensure the same principle will apply for the next Scottish independence referendum, whenever that shall be.

It's odd that fairness is considered whinging whenever Scotland is involved.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 05:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi
As the forthcoming EU referendum, I think that if you can register to vote and live in the UK as your home, then you have a vested interest in the referendum outcome.
But only to the point that EU nationals who have not obtained a UK passport cannot currently vote in a general election.
I consider an independence from the EU vote on a par with voting for national government so I will oppose any calls for those million plus folk to have the vote.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Again, the Scottish government set the qualifying standard for who could vote last year, not Westminster. Take it up with Holyrood. It was a solely Scottish decision.
...or start your own thread.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 05:53 PM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

There was no referendum to take Britain into the EEC in 1973. Even the British were denied self determination in that one. I suppose by that logic there's no real need for a referendum to take Britain out of the EU either, just a vote in Westminster.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 05:57 PM
link   

It was 1975, I was still pooing my nappy, and the vote was solely about free trade.
That was the only vote we have had on it since then and various governments have sleepwalked into political union with no vote for the people.
We are getting that vote at last, and I do not want over a million EU nationals living in the UK to influence the result.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 05:57 PM
link   

I'm not derailing your thread. I agree with your OP and have already said so.

I just want you to consent to the principle that English and other EU nationals living in Scotland should not be allowed to vote in any future Scottish independence referendum, that's all.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 06:03 PM
link   

I'll agree with that easily.
If I lived in Scotland I would abstain in any independence referendum.
Same thing as I'm saying, no EU national who has not obtained a UK passport should have the vote in the UK referendum on EU membership.
I do not see how they can have any right if they have retained their EU nation state nationality.
Hold a UK passport then yep, I'll agree, but live here while remaining citizens of another country then no right to vote on UK wide issues in my opinion.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: yorkshirelad

I agree.

PLaying devil's advocate here but :

What about Scottish people living in England ?
What about English people living in Scotland ?

Get's fecking trick very fast doesn't it!

If you pay taxes in this country, then you should have a say.

You're not playing Devil's advocate, as the whole of the U.K will have a vote.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 06:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

I disagree.
So EU nationals who pay taxes in the UK and have not sought UK citizenship have the right to vote on issues such as independence from the EU in your opinion? All one million plus of them? Really?
...are you British?

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 06:13 PM
link   
I think you're right. Only UK citizens with full voting priviledges should be allowed to vote in the Referendum on the EU,

Any UK citizen eligible to vote should be on the list. Everyone else should not be allowed to vote.

If you need to register to vote, there's still time, the referendum likely won't be held until 2017.

I bet Nigel Farange is gonna be busy.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join