It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Intelligence Agencies you probably never heard of

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 11:14 AM
link   
6 agencies you may not be aware of or entirely what they do. More agencies than just the CIA perform espionage. The FBI became an intelligence agency officially in 2009. The state departments espionage apparatus and the counterintelligence beakdown. A few minutes of entertainment. Look up the 17 agencies, not the departments, and there are some interesting aspects about what they do.

edit on 2015524 by bonecrusher321 because: Spelling

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: bonecrusher321

The hole is much much deeper .

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Good summary. Another interesting piece of fat to chew on - over 80% of all intelligence gathered by the US government and military is OSINT. What does that tell you?

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 11:52 AM
link   
The only solution to bureaucracy… is more bureaucracy.

Thats one of the reasons why they wrote the constitution. To limit government.

Thus the government has no natural or God-given powers; it has only whatever limited powers we (the people) choose to give it. The government is not all-powerful. It has no right to try to do more than we've explicitly authorized it to do. It is limited.

link

Parenthesis added.

Agencies filled with agents limit (we the people)s liberties, while permitting government to grow ever bigger.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 12:00 PM
link   
While open source is a great way to obtain intelligence it is by no means 80%. That couldn't be quantified no matter how hard anyone tried. The FBI does use open source quite a bit but the other agencies collect through their classified programs, agents and sources. Of the 80% of the community that belongs to the DOD agencies like DIA, NSA don't use open source. Strictly clandestine operations and electronic surveillance respectively. Add the CIA into that mix and you blow 80% away with non-open source just due to the size and manpower of those agencies. a reply to: CIAGypsy

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

And yet as long as 'we the people' grow increasingly disengaged about enforcing our civil liberties, the more an over-reaching government will ensure they slip away.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 12:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: bonecrusher321
While open source is a great way to obtain intelligence it is by no means 80%. That couldn't be quantified no matter how hard anyone tried. The FBI does use open source quite a bit but the other agencies collect through their classified programs, agents and sources. Of the 80% of the community that belongs to the DOD agencies like DIA, NSA don't use open source. Strictly clandestine operations and electronic surveillance respectively. Add the CIA into that mix and you blow 80% away with non-open source just due to the size and manpower of those agencies. a reply to: CIAGypsy

You are correct that it can't be quantified, but that percentage was given during an internal presentation of one of those intelligence agencies within your video. Given the volume of information that can now be gleaned from the internet (even through 'backdoors'), I believe it is accurate. You're welcome to a different opinion.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Good thread!

I've heard of these agencies and have had them on my watch list for some time.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: CIAGypsy

And yet as long as 'we the people' grow increasingly disengaged about enforcing our civil liberties, the more an over-reaching government will ensure they slip away.

To a point. The point at which endless greed, war and control become so burdensome, people react.

It has to reach that point, has always reached that point (google ruins) in the past. My point was enlighten people to their rights under the law.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

To a point. The point at which endless greed, war and control become so burdensome, people react.

It has to reach that point, has always reached that point (google ruins) in the past. My point was enlighten people to their rights under the law.

I believe that our freedoms will never be regained by those who had them and let them slip away. They will only be won by those who have never had them and fight to win them.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 05:16 PM
link   

I believe that our freedoms will never be regained by those who had them and let them slip away. They will only be won by those who have never had them and fight to win them.

New generation kind of thing? The one growing up has the internet advantage instead of the one way, top down, TV, radio and newspapers we did. We didn't let it slip away, they duped us out of it.

That revolt is going to make Occupy look like a picnic.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 05:35 PM
link   

New generation kind of thing? The one growing up has the internet advantage instead of the one way, top down, TV, radio and newspapers we did. We didn't let it slip away, they duped us out of it.

I would truly love it if you are correct, but the complacency of society has been systemic.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 05:39 PM
link   

I would truly love it if you are correct, but the complacency of society has been systemic.

Hunger, endless war and poverty sharpen dull minds.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 08:46 PM
link   

no ever knows micecp ... they small getting smaller but do some important stuff.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 02:34 PM
link   
The statement within the video is that 80% belng to the DOD. a reply to: CIAGypsy

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 03:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: bonecrusher321
The statement within the video is that 80% belng to the DOD. a reply to: CIAGypsy

I think you misunderstood my comments, mon ami. I believe the stats I was referring to indicated that 80% of the data collected for intelligence was gathered through OSINT avenues of various means. This is not to say that the data gathering or personnel didn't take place under a classified program.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Nothing I didn't know, except the whole budget deal with the ODNI vs. the combined Military Intelligence agencies. This is rather insane (assuming it's true). I mean, that is a LOT of damn money, so where is it going? (and who are the folks moving it?).

I assume this is the funding that goes to do things like paying Un (in North Korea) off when we want him to stop sabre rattling, etc.

top topics

join