It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dogs and Vaccinations

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 09:56 AM
link   
We hear a lot about vaccines here on ATS. What are everyone's thoughts on vaccines for dogs?

I ask, because I find it ridiculous, that I am forced to inject virus into my dog.

To go a bit further, my dogs first vaccine nearly killed him. I was very lucky that I hung around to talk with the receptionist, as if I were a few miles up the road I would have lost him. He went into total anaphylaxis about a half hour after his shots.

It was really scary. I love my dog, and he is an inside dog. He doesn't care for other dogs and he'll never catch the slowest bunny or squirrel. So I was very against getting any more vaccines for him.

So, he gets a little conjunctivitis, someone was over who neglected to tell us of his contagion, and he picked it up. It happened so fast, he was showing symptoms within an hour of contact, and in the morning, I could tell he was in some distress. Antibiotics and corticosteroids being prescription items, I knew I had to go to the vet. And he would get shots.

So he gets his eyedrops, and I am adamant that he gets no shots not required by law. Rabies alone. Plus we give him an IM steroid 45 mins before hand to hopefully offset any serious reactions. Then we monitor him for 45 mins after. He seems groggy, but ok, until I get him home. Then he has another serious reaction. Not anaphylaxis, thank God, but he was turning red and swelling. I was frantically calling my vet, who told me I had to get him to emergency right away.

I don't live anywhere near my vet. It was a harrowing experience to find someone on Saturday of Memorial day weekend to save my dog. I did, and he got IV steroids and IM benedryl, and over the next 6 hours or so he came back around.

I literally did not want to leave the first vets office. I know my dog, I know he was panting and in distress. He's only little, but he's tough. But, I was told he was normal, and it was the lepto shot the first time and rabies shot is safe.

I get why the vet did it, I knew it was gonna happen by taking him there, but WHY?

Why every time I go to the Vet they are required to attempt to kill my dog?

Why can't I get him treatment or even just eyedrops without having to go through this.

Both my regular vet, who is great btw, and the emergency vet said they will never give my dog a shot again. They will treat him as he is, which I am thankful for.

Does any one else have a dog that can't be vaccinated? Is anyone else pushed away from being able to treat their animal because of laws like this?

I'd been terrified to take my dog to the vet since the first incident. I was told my fears were unfounded. I actually had to cancel a social media account for stating publicly that I didn't want my dog vaccinated.

If I could have gotten OTC eyedrops for him, it would have all been avoided.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 10:10 AM
link   
a reply to: ISawItFirst
Pet vaccinations are a boondoggle for the pharmaceutical and veterinary industries. Heartworm, Parvo, Lymes Disease and others were not ever heard of prior to the late 70s and early 80s. Now pets require monthly meds and periodic boosters all which add up to a huge revenue stream for the industry.

One has to wonder if these pathogens originated in a lab somewhere and were released into the wild, with a profit motive in mind. Lord knows you're not a good owner if you don't get you pets immunized and give them their monthly meds. We all love our pets and many vets throw the guilt trip on people, telling owners "you wouldn't want anything to happen to your friend, would you?"

edit on 67411Sundayk22 by Bilk22 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 10:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Bilk22

Thanks. I won't let them jab me or guilt me. It's the law that's the problem. It does play on your emotions. They are put in a tough spot, and they have to put you in a tough spot. Most of the time, I assume, nothing happens. I don't think my vet would be doing this if any number of dogs react like mine.

Anyways, I'm still fried over the experience. The first time, my vet didn't charge me for the life saving treatment, nor the lepto vacc. This time, as I had to take him to a different emergency place, it cost. Wasn't in the budget, but, like I said, I love my dog.

It's enough to parse the human vaccine scam. I knew about Lyme, clearly man made, but the others I'm not so sure.

Thanks for letting me know there's others that feel like I do.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 11:36 AM
link   

I have always kept my animals vaccinated,and thank goodness none of them had those reactions. I do ,know that a lot of times,that vets will fore go shots for very old dogs that start to have issues with them.The issue is that this is a 2 sided coin. On the one hand,you don't want to be pumping a bunch of poison in your loved ones. On the other,if they should contract one of those diseases,their chances of living through it are pretty bleak.Rabies is a no win situation.Once they display symptoms,its over,the kindest cut is to put them down quickly.The other part of it,that the law will step in on anything that can be transmitted to humans.They can not risk it. If your child got bit by a stray dog and you couldn't find it,you of course would get the child the rabies series to protect her or his life.

The 7 in 1 includes things like leptosporosis. This is a diseases that tends to be around water,and that is why at national parks they don't want your dog around the bodies of water,in case your pet has it and urinates.

Are the big pharmas making money? Of course they are.But how many lives have they also saved from parvo? I remember when that outbreak happened.I was glad we didn't have a dog at the time. The sad part was,I went over to visit a friend,and his friend brought over the most gorgeous doberman.He was HUGE.Very smart dog. I fell in love with this dog right off. The dog had just been to the vets that day for the new parvo shot,the next day I got a call that the dog was dead. It was heartbreaking. They had to make up a new shot just for dobermans and rotties(they are of the same blood line,a doberman originally was just a cross of a standard poodle and rottie).The dog had contracted parvo and they couldn't save him. So yes there is both good and bad to it.

In your situation,I would go to my regular vet and ask him to please please write out a note explaining that your dog CAN NOT have vaccines,due to a life threatening reaction to them. Then if for any reason at all,you end up taking your dog to an emergency vet that has no knowledge of your dogs past,will know that you are not just trying to get out of taking care of your dog,that it will almost certainly kill your dog to have those shots. Plus I would keep some benedryl around for any emergencies you might run into with your dog. Always a good idea.Your vet can give you the dosage for your dog if needed. Call and ask,then write it on a piece of papers and 'tape it to the bottle'. If your dog is going into anaphylactic shock,that is not the time to be calling the vet for a dosage.Have it before hand and give IMMEDIATELY.You can save your dogs life that way.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I'm tired of going to the vet to get my dogs simple ear wax buildup treated without a solution. Its only one ear and each time they tell me to clean it and add medicine (otimax) for a week. Each time I do, the wax comes back. It obviously bothers her, the last visit they told me they would culture it and find out the problem. All they did was look at a swab under the microscope, clean the ear (painful for her, again) and instruct to continue the topical ointment. >>> 200 dollars.

Sick of being sick.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 12:42 PM
link   

It isn't the virus your dog is likely reacting to. There is likely some component of the vaccine he is allergic to.

I'd check which company manufactured it and see if you can get an ingredient list and then check and see which other companies manufacture similar product and possibly try theirs if you must get a vaccine like the rabies. Not every one is made with the same components.

It's also possible to get your dog allergy tested to find out what might be causing the problem which would then make it easier to know what your dog is reacting to and to make a case against having to vaccinate your dog in all except the most extreme necessity. It's always better to know than not know because you never know where your dog might come into contact with that allergen.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
I'm tired of going to the vet to get my dogs simple ear wax buildup treated without a solution. Its only one ear and each time they tell me to clean it and add medicine (otimax) for a week. Each time I do, the wax comes back. It obviously bothers her, the last visit they told me they would culture it and find out the problem. All they did was look at a swab under the microscope, clean the ear (painful for her, again) and instruct to continue the topical ointment. >>> 200 dollars.

Sick of being sick.

I am a human and have this same problem . I actually lose complete hearing in that ear.
edit on 24-5-2015 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 01:46 PM
link   

You may want to look at these sites.

critteradvocacy.org...
www.news.wisc.edu...
healthypets.mercola.com...

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Thanks for your reply. As near as I can make out our ears build up wax and if not cleaned can actually block the canal and make you deaf. You aren't really deaf, have a doctor irrigate your canal and remove the plug. They do it with solution to soften it up while you lie on your side. Theres no pain or shots or anything.

With dogs its different.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 05:19 PM
link   

It's all about the money. Seriously, just the money. The vets make money, the companies that produce the shots make money, and the government makes money, on the licensing end. Sure, rabies is dangerous, but how many pets run around in areas that they could contract it? Most are in fenced yards or inside. Strays don't get the shots, nor do wild animals, so vaccinating pets doesn't stop those cases. All we do is rabies as well, and the vets can deal. MY pets, MY decision.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

That's fine, but if there is something the OP's dog is so allergic to that it gets anaphylactic shock when exposed ... don't you think the OP ought to find out what exactly it is?

That's like someone knowing they have anaphylactic shock if they eat peanut butter cookies, and just assuming it's the cookies without ever finding out what it is in the cookies specifically that is causing the problem. It could be the peanut butter ... the eggs ... a whole bunch of things, and they're walking around thinking that if they only avoid peanut butter cookies, they'll be fine.

This is similar. Without knowing, the dog could come into contact with something else that has that allergen at any time in any place and OP wouldn't be expecting it. The things in a vaccine aren't always ONLY in the vaccine.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 09:22 PM
link   

I took my Aussie and 2 Patterdales to the vet for grooming and flea dips. They were all so far gone into scratching endlessly at those infernal bloodsuckers that I caved , but only because the dips would be done at the vet. What could go wrong?

The vets groomer tells me none of my dogs had a single flea, their issues were dry skin. Probably their food. I need to stop feeding them food that I never fed them.

1 week to the day, my Aussie develops a sizable lump on her rear area. Foxtail? Abscess? I frantically call the vet and rush her in. Vet exams my poor girl and tells me that not only does he need to keep her overnight, she will need to have surgery to remove whatever has caused this lump!!! He further assures me he will call me immediately post op. And so he does...

$487.33 later, my Aussie was diagnosed with flea infestation so bad, she irritated her skin to swelling. Initial thought, No surgery, whew!

Then reason flooded in.

"WHAAAT? She can't have fleas that badly as she was dipped by your groomer and dosed with that horrid Frontline poison a week ago", I say to the good doc. "And you said she had an abscess and needed surgery!" He mumbles something under his breath about being so rushed when I brought her in he didn't have time for thorough exam until that following morning . In regards to the fleas, he said " fleas are a never ending battle. What can you do?"

I made the check payable to Dr. A-hole and left the office with my 'never gonna return speech.'

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 10:30 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Perhaps, but that sort of testing costs a lot of money. Avoiding the shots seems simpler. Most of the stuff in those, the dog isn't likely to come into contact with, anyway. Plus, it isn't like they u9ohave additive-free vaccines for people, much less for dogs.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 10:53 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Yah, or if you have a friend in nursing school they can usually take care of it. There are many home irrigation systems that are quite effective as well.

I'd agree that with dogs it would be different but I'm struggling to come up with a reason why.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Yep. It's such a wracket. My dog can't go to the groomer and hang out with all these sick vaccinated dogs, because he's healthy and hasn't been vaccinated. The only times he's ever been sick is when he's been vaxxed. I've always been convinced he's not been the same since. It's not all bad, he gives hugs more.

Every time he has been to the groomer they have cut his eyelashes. That's been the only instruction every time. Do not cut his eyelashes. Whatever else is cool.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 12:09 AM
link   

I had a dog, 7 years old, that was due for a haircut so I sent it in to a local groomer. After 3-4 hours she was done and I brought her home and within 3 days she was dead. She caught a virus (supposedly) from another dog that was restrained within the groomer and thus died shortly after because of it.

I personally don't think that was the case at all and that they had to give her a shot in order to keep her docile during the grooming ad she had a reaction to it, yet they are convinced it was another dog that caused it, one that was locked up within it's vacinity. So I asked to see the families that also had a dog there that day and they refused, as I suspected that other dogs would have died as well if they were there the same day. They said it was against policy to give me that information. I never signed any type of policy agreement so I demanded the names, and they still withheld. I asked to see there policy and they pulled out a giant binder behind the counter showing that policy, so I asked why wasn't this disclosed in public without having to be askedfor and they of course had no answer.

I further read their binder of policies and is said that they were allowed to give shots without dislosing it to the owners to unruly pets, to not be responsible for any harm, to not be responsible to extra charges, etc. I declared that their practices were unruly and illegal, unable to have certain policies as they held that weren't documented and available to their customer prior to service. They stated that the customer ust only ask for the document prior to having their animal groomed, yet it was over 100 pages ( it was a manual for employees). So aI asked what was an unruly pet, and they stated that it was one that didn;t let their employees do their job without resistance. I asked what dog will let someone shave their fur or bath them without some sort of resistance and they said nearly all resist. Therefore I took it as nearly every dog gets a shot unwillingly and undisclosed. I asked my lawyer what I could do and there was practicallly nothing. It was devastating and I am still pissed about this that happened over 4 years ago.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Sorry to hear about your poor wee doglet. A lot of the medicines vets prescribe are actually the same as for humans but with a different brand name, if your doglet has reoccurring problems it is a lot cheaper to buy human medicine if your can get it over the counter without prescription, like the ear drops that someone else mentioned for their dog. The trouble with parvovirus is that I think cats carry it and it can live in the soil for many years, lucky we don't have rabies where I live. Good luck with your dog, also could try holistic health vet.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 09:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes
a reply to: ketsuko

Perhaps, but that sort of testing costs a lot of money. Avoiding the shots seems simpler. Most of the stuff in those, the dog isn't likely to come into contact with, anyway. Plus, it isn't like they u9ohave additive-free vaccines for people, much less for dogs.

And if it's an animal serum?

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 09:25 AM
link   
a reply to: iDope

That has got to be the most frustrating, sorry for you loss. Thanks for letting everyone know about the store policies and their bureaucracy.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 09:40 AM
link   

I'd agree that with dogs it would be different but I'm struggling to come up with a reason why.

Dogs ear canals are much longer than ours, taking a sharp turn and continuing to the ear drum. Dogs move with their heads lower to the ground roll, sniff, and run through brush, making it more likely they get dirt or debris in their ears.

Cleaning their ears and curing any bacteria or yeast infection is more complicated, should only be undertaken by those who understand and are careful.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join