It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ex-army chief urges PM to consider 'boots on the ground' to fight Isis

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 04:58 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

I'm not for editing anything, I am what I am and say what I think. I am not the Walter Mitty pretending to have been in the Royal Navy reserve or other. The army doesn't class the OTC as Youth Cadets, just you. You really don't know much about the OTC at all. Youth Cadets train along side TA regiments do they? Just because the army won't deploy university students it doesn't lessen the fact you have served and given up your time.
Poor kids join the army, deal with it. The army provides these poor kids a chance in life and keeps them off benefits. Do you think that only people who have 'served' to YOUR satisfaction have the right to say what the army does? That would be a laughable stance if it is.

ISIS are a major threat to the UK, France and Germany etc. ISIS have said they are using migrant boats to smuggle themselves into Europe. A Morrocan was arrested in Italy for the Tunisian attack having come across in a migrant boat, it has already started.

posted on May, 31 2015 @ 05:08 PM
link   
a reply to: biggilo

Lol, goodnight.
I have nothing to prove, I was available to fight for our country for 6 years and served fulltime periods many times.
You were not available to defend the UK, I was.

UOTC members cannot be mobilised for active service.
www.army.mod.uk...

Do you think the British Army website is telling lies? lol

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 03:34 AM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

If you read what I wrote you would see how you are going in circles. Just because the army won't mobilise students doesn't lessen the fact you have served. You are a complete Muppet if you think only front line service counts. And I am pretty sure you are a liar and were never in the Royal Navy, otherwise you wouldn't go around lessening the levels of service people done. Especially given how many Royal Navy roles aren't front line!
edit on 1-6-2015 by biggilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 04:41 AM
link   
a reply to: biggilo

I don't care if you believe me or not, this all started when you belittled Soloprotocol as a scrounger who had never served our country. He responded that he had served 3 years which you said you didn't believe either, then proudly proclaimed that you had served in the University Officer Training Corps which cannot be cannot be mobilised for active service.

We will have to agree to disagree. I don't think UOTC serves the nation any more than youth cadets does. You were at no time available for active service so I consider it no more than jollies, outdoor pursuits, and playing with SA80's, funded by the tax payer.

You think you have benefited the nation in some way by being in the UOTC when you were at Uni, but I don't.
There was never any risk of you being mobilised, which is what serving our country is all about, not just dressing up and playing army as a student.

You feel differently, that is understandable of course, but it's probably best we return to the topic with respect to the OP.
If you wish to have the last word on my opinion that UOTC is not serving the country because you cannot be mobilised for active service then go for it, I shall not respond again as I've said all I need to about it.

If however you wish to continue on-topic in this thread then I shall continue to engage with you about the issue of UK troops being involved in a solely sectarian Sunni/Wahabi/Shia Muslim conflict, in a region thousands of miles away.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Looks like Cameron listened!

Link

The opposition saying we should do more to help Muslims over there.

Well what if a coalition managed to squeeze ISIS into a corner, a big corner and hold them there in their caliph, in the meantime rebuilding, training and supporting Muslim growth through Muslims, not politicos. Army's job is to hold a Dmz around the caliph, would need to sort Syria out.

Once the surrounding countries become stronger they rotate into the coalition front lines getting battle hardened until the coalition can rotate out for good?

Boots on ground, we have over 12 years of this experience, let's use it! Hooohar

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Forensick

12 years of this experience

What? Utter failure.

If Middle Eastern countries took a central role and it was well thought out then I may consider it.

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join