It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"If there is nothing out there, then what was that noise?"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 05:21 AM
link   
The title of this thread is a quote by my favorite author that poses a question that I am currently struggling to answer for myself.

I was warring with myself over whether or not to post about this on here, but here I am anyway.

So about 2-2.5 hours ago (around 2am), I was sitting downstairs on the couch. I had my computer on, but that was my only source of light at that time. There was no sound besides the usual hum of the air conditioning blowing through the vents and the occasional low mechanical hum of the refrigerator, along with the familiar sounds of my house at night. It's just me, my mom and dad, and our kitty living here--all of whom were sound asleep at the time of this incident.

I'm just reading something on facebook, planning on maybe watching something--but my only window open was facebook--I had just closed my ATS tab minutes prior. And my sound was off on my Macbook Air 2014.

My neighborhood is very quiet and suburban. There are no people outside at this hour. Or if there were, footsteps/people sounds would be totally apparent due to the silence of the hour.

Anyway, I'm just sitting there totally minding my own business when I hear a single, slightly faint (but in the near distance--I estimated perhaps only as far as my neighbor's lawn.) human-sounding & fairly piercing aaaow! sound to my right.

Then silence again.

Now, of course that had surprised me a little, and I briefly wondered what that possibly could have been. It was a very penetrating sound--and it seemed eerie.

As I was pondering the strange noise, again to my right (but much closer this time--sounded like it was near my window on the far right side of the couch) I began to hear what sounded like a female (age unknown) very clearly humming a strange, repeating melody that I had never heard before and which made me freeze up in shock. (again, no footsteps no sound other than this weird penetrating tune that was being hummed in a rich but light-toned feminine voice).

This lilting hum continued. And was a very complex melody at times. Although one could have probably called it a pretty melody, there was something distinctly OFF about it. At first I tried to ignore it but it continued and almost seemed to get louder--to the point where I began freaking out wondering if maybe it could actually be in the house! Even though it had clearly been coming from outside. The humming was so echo-y it nearly sounded as if (instead of outside of the window to the right and behind me sitting on the couch) it could be in my bedroom (which is right above where I was sitting).

So at this point I turn on the table lamp beside me, get my computer off of my lap, and make a mad dash for the phone and call my fiance, (who is also a new member here on ATS) Phaedo. From there, with him on the phone (i was still hearing that hum--it was clear but not clear or loud enough to be able to be heard through the phone unfortunately) I decide to go down into the basement to grab my cat

My basement cat-grabbing venture passed without incident. I get back to my seat on the couch and I'm hearing weird noises that I don't even really remember what they were because I was half-on the phone with my fiance and I was really just trying to ignore them in the hopes that that would make them stop.

Well, I hang up with Phaedo and say goodnight, feeling more reassured that everything was going to be okay lol

And I sit there holding my kitty, trying to let her purring calm me. I know I heard bumps or something at one point but reasoned that that was probably the house settling.

Also during this time a small amount of birds were lightly chattering further away in the distance. So these mystery sounds were always audible above those sounds and sounded like they had come from a person or something human-ish. (the bird sound also helped me to pinpoint the closeness of the weird sound in question. the weird humanish sound was much nearer than the bird sound--which I think was about half a football field or so away on the far right of my cul-de-sac--basically somewhere near the next cul-de-sac. The sound of the voice/humming was much nearer--like at max two neighbors away but it sounded more like it started off on the far end of my neighbor's lawn--maybe up the hill--and then got close enough to my house that I could pretty clearly hear the low humming. But I did have to try and listen. The melody wasn't loud enough for its notes to be discernible when my attention was not on listening to it--instead it became background noise--but was still present and loud enough to be heard throughout the living room. Though it was loudest on the couch (which is next to the outer wall--meaning this sound was behind me--and slightly to my right)

Hearing weird things in my neighborhood happens sometimes--both to me and my neighbor (lives in the sub division as well) KingKelson (also a member here). Like, we have both heard what sounded like pan flutes on some occasions (although not any more--that was years ago) along with other weird stuff that sometimes sounds like construction but late, late in the night--but there's never any vehicles or anything being constructed, at least not in the part of town where we live. --the other one that's fairly common is hearing what sounds like a train but for long long periods of time on end--like sometimes in excess of 30 minutes which is NO train I've ever heard of.

Now, I'm not on any medication or anything and I do not hear sounds like this on a normal, daily, or regular schedule. I do not have tinnitus. I was not sleep-deprived (although I don't think I'll be able to sleep after hearing that stuff, honestly), and I have NEVER heard something so...odd like that ever outside my house. Ever. It didn't even sound like a regular person for some reason. And no, I don't know what I mean by that.

I don't know what happened, but I do know I hope that it never happens again.

Has anyone else ever had anything happen to them like this?

It is not any animal nor is it any sound I've ever heard a human make--it was not my mother's voice nor my fathers nor my cats.

Due to the troubling nature of this very fresh, recent experience I ask that your responses be mature and legitimate. I am a very skeptical person despite having been witness to some extraordinary things in my life. I have already gone through the rational list of what it 'could be' already and have come up dry. I don't know what I should be thinking about this.

I got so scared I grabbed the Bible (which was under the coffee table (that the lamp is on) right next to me) and started reading it with my cat on my lap.
and sometime during that reading session the humming/melody ceased.

Thanks for reading. Hope it wasn't TLDR. Hope I'm not going bonkers

& hope you guys might give me some insight into the situation.

Because I'm not 100% that this is something paranormal I'm putting it here in the grey area, but feel free to move it if it would be better in the paranormal studies section. I wasn't entirely sure which one would be the more-appropriate forum for this experience.

edit on 24-5-2015 by rukia because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 05:46 AM
link   
I have heard humming on more than one occasion in my life, very clear and distinct. When I began to focus on it, it became very loud almost overwhelming. Weirdest part, is I was able to determine the source was from within, like my body, my head or my mind.

Side note: im not skitsophrenic, I know what that is my uncle had it. I'm of sound mind, As far as I know, but sometimes I most certainly hear something there.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 06:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Rosinitiate

I don't think that's the same thing. The noise was most definitely coming from outside or something. I have never heard voices in my head. I can hear myself in my head if I try--same with music (again if I try) but no, my head is usually very quiet as I normally think in feelings and pictures more than words. When I write, words flow to me, I don't really consider them or hear them in advance. I'm quite a visual thinker.

The only thing I can think of is a hypnogogic hallucination but I was nowhere near sleep at the time and yeah...definitely not an audio hallucination of any sort--which is what it sounds like you experience.

Like I said, my friend who lives in my neighborhood has heard weird things just like I have heard. Though this is my first time hearing anything quite so strange as a song that I have never heard before being hummed outside my house in the middle of the night when nobody is outside my house.

And also, as I have said this is not something that I experience normally. I have had experience in the paranormal (more than i'd like, at any rate) and unfortunately I am quite sane.

We are on native american land I believe, and I was kinda wondering if it might have something to do with that.

Also, my house itself isn't haunted or anything like that. There's weird vibes upon occasion but that's because both my mom and I have gifts of a spiritual nature and those tend to generate some weird energy at times. But yeah nothing besides some heavy feelings or really static/uneasy feelings. She is also going through treatment for cancer atm (and is doing well) but that of course has brought a whole slew of emotions for her (and my father and i) to deal with. So I was also wondering if maybe it had something to do with me sitting in the seat that she is always sitting in during the day while dealing with this turmoil from the treatment and stuff.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 06:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: rukia

I don't think that's the same thing. The noise was most definitely coming from outside or something. I have never heard voices in my head. I can hear myself in my head if I try--same with music (again if I try) but no, my head is usually very quiet as I normally think in feelings and pictures more than words. When I write, words flow to me, I don't really consider them or hear them in advance. I'm quite a visual thinker.

The only thing I can think of is a hypnogogic hallucination but I was nowhere near sleep at the time and yeah...definitely not an audio hallucination of any sort--which is what it sounds like you experience.

Like I said, my friend who lives in my neighborhood has heard weird things just like I have heard. Though this is my first time hearing anything quite so strange as a song that I have never heard before being hummed outside my house in the middle of the night when nobody is outside my house.

I probably didn't explain myself very well. I'm using a pad instead of my laptop so I can't type as freely. Once when I was hearing a humming song, my fiancée remarked she was hearing a humming song before I said anything. I don't hear voices either lol.

What I heard was clearly not coming from me, however when I listened to it and tried to pinpoint it's location, any direction was as valid as the other, so I go with "within". It just basically pervaded my entire being.
edit on 24-5-2015 by Rosinitiate because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 06:15 AM
link   

oh no, I understood what you meant.

I mean permeated the house/surroundings so that it became hard to pinpoint the location at one point. But it was outside my house. I was just being goofy and getting afraid over nothing thinking oh no what if it's IN MAH ROOM
--I'm sitting in my room now (went upstairs at 4:30am after chilling out and forgetting about the whole thing for a while
which wasn't too hard since it wasn't all that frightening--it was just WEIRD lol)

At no point did it feel like anything was coming from my being or anything. If it had I would be making an appointment with my doctor or something. Idk what you're describing sounds way scarier than what I heard xD

What I heard makes me uneasy precisely because it was not coming from me. I would know if I was just making a song or something up in my head. Things like that don't just happen to me without me consciously directing it. Nor could I actually physically HEAR something if it was just in my head. I know it wasn't my imagination. I'm dead certain that something was humming a weird song outside my house

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Your fiances name is "Paedo?"

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 06:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: socketdude
Your fiances name is "Paedo?"

No, it's "socket dude" ......pretty weird huh?

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 06:21 AM
link   
a reply to: socketdude

no, lol Phaedo is his ATS screenname. It's a reference to one of Plato's works.

My fiance's name is Kevin

THOUGH I do call him Phaedoburr as a joke now.

I say, yes you're Phaedoburr--Pedobear's philosophical cousin who believes in the immortality of the soul: because age doesn't matter.
ewwww lol yep i totally just went there xD his response was, NO that's a misuse of philosophy!!

fufufufufu

to note: he's a year younger than me

lol that was actually a pretty valid question

but back to seriousness, any more thoughts on what happened?

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 07:30 AM
link   
My advice: ghosts hate Led Zeppelin.
a reply to: rukia

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 07:50 AM
link   

human-sounding & fairly piercing aaaow! sound to my right.

That sounds like a cat. You would be surprised how human they can sound when fighting or in distress. I have heard my cats make sounds exactly like a woman's scream or a baby crying and I have 3 kids, so I know that sound well.
As far as humming a strange tune...if you have a recording device of some kind and you're up that late tonight, keep it with you and turn it on while you're surfing the net. It will pick up all your sounds but may also pick up the weird ones if they happen again.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 08:08 AM
link   
a reply to: rukia

Once upon a time when radio signals were not digital but analog, folks living nearby repeater station and a suitable spot where signals "crossed" or amplified, they could hear music and talk programs from their household pipelines and stuff. Some thought their houses were haunted and almost checked in for care, until more solid analysis traced their dilemma to external sources.

I guess this might not be a valid scenario for you, but something similar might be. Perhaps you have packed in boxes and stored some children toys, some radios or other stuff creating sounds and noice, and which might be turned on, and then in the wee hours when all is calm will be easily picked by even less trained ears.

So, you might try to record the sounds, the humming and jitter. That might give some ideas on what's going on. If you clearly can hear it, and clearly cannot record it - it could be low frequency microwave disturbances - intentional or unintentional (a la MK-Ultra)...

Or it could be somebody living in your basement behind a fake wall.
edit on 24-5-2015 by deckdel because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Your neighbor has heard pan's flute type sounds, and you heard a humming that was almost pretty but seemed off, haunting or out of key?

What time was it?

And are you aware of any groups in that area, satanic or other types of occult groups? Cats can make odd sounds, but to me the first thing a person would do is assess any danger, and danger often comes from humans, and dark occult groups exist in every area.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Do you live on or near the edge of a large forested area?

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 01:47 PM
link   
So... here's a crazy question...

Did you look outside?

I mean, cowering inside freaking out about a noise is one way to handle the situation but I typically look outside for the source of the noise.
edit on 5/24/2015 by Answer because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: DAVID64

I own a cat--and have had her since I was 7. I love cats. It wasn't like that. I don't know how to explain it any better but I did go through all of the logical what could this be things before I posted this thread. It is not a cat, an owl, or a fox. I like your suggestion but I don't really want to mess with EVPs and stuff--I don't want to tempt fate and make the situation worse

link   
a reply to: Answer

yes. nothing was outside.

**though I did not look outside until I got up to get my cat. It was pretty dark but no, I couldn't see anything. Granted, I didn't look for too long because I didn't want to see anything since I'm sort of chicken like that but yeah for as far as I can tell there was absolutely nothing out there that could have been making those sounds.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: trollz

Ish. I live in southeastern wisconsin in a fairly scenic area but no, I live in a fairly new house in a fairly new subdivision (fairly new meaning 10 years old). but yes, there are forests nearby and smallish thickets of trees within the neighborhood--but nothing particularly thick until you get out of the suburban area.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 01:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: rukia

yes. nothing was outside.

Did you GO outside and look around with a flashlight or did you just peek out of the blinds?

Here's why I ask:

A few years ago, I heard a terrible banging and scratching at the back door. It literally sounded like something with claws was trying to get through my door to come after me. I grabbed a gun and went to the back door and when I pulled back the curtain...

There was a huge turtle flopping around against the door.

I went out there and helped it off the porch while laughing at my imagination for picturing a chupacabra demon-creature coming for my soul.
edit on 5/24/2015 by Answer because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 01:54 PM
link   

I had actually been outside prior to hearing this noise. Maybe about 20 minutes tops before I heard it. When I was outside previously I had heard that bird chirping in some tree a few yards down but nothing at all out of the ordinary. It was a pretty quiet night. Looked like everyone in the vicinity was fast asleep. My neighborhood is also pretty well-lit at the front sides of the homes. We all have these lightposts in front of our houses.

But absolutely not--I'm not a big strong person and I would never go outside to check on the noise. My house is quite large (i don't have blinds--I have shades/curtains) and there are windows in all directions. But yeah, I could see nothing unusual (for which I was very glad :up

I told my parents about what I heard this morning and they have no idea what it could have been, either. Nor have they heard anything similar. So yeah idk

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: deckdel

Luckily nobody is living in my basement (it's poured concrete)--that would be freaky a.f!! xD Yeah it's none of my toys as a kid for sure but it could be that low frequency stuff you're talking about. That's really interesting! I am going to have to look into that sort of thing.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join