It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

game of thrones : divergence WTF ? [ please avoid spoilers ]

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 02:19 AM
link   
hey - finaly started watching the GOT season 5

and while i know and fully realise that a 10 * 42 min series cannot stay accurate to a book of GOT magnitude

the divergences are getting more pronnounced - to the point that any future book will throw everything even further out of whack

is i just me ?? - or anyone else getting the feeling that the series will soon only share the name " game of thrones " with the books ?

like i say - a lot of changes HAVE to be made and most make sense :

a few that do : [ no spoliers ]

changing the idenity of aryas mentor

the streamlining denyres court // advisers

but things like :

the change to ramsay boltons bride - just WTF ?????????????

the series is entertaining - but its going of on such a different tack that telling people who have watched the series - to read the book to understand it - is going to be increasinly irrelevant
edit on 24-5-2015 by ignorant_ape because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Probably a good thing, social media twits find great pleasure in spoiling episodes with book knowledge just for fun. This keeps em guessing

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 02:59 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

I feel the same way about the Under the Dome show. I refuse to watch it.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 05:29 AM
link   
The shows execs know the main points of how GRRM will do things in the books and the final outcome of the series but they're pretty much allowed to do what they want so long as X does Y at a certain point etc and by deliberately making it different you won't get too many spoilers with people going "oh X will die in about 5 mins according to the book"

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 05:35 AM
link   
The series is getting ahead of the books.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 07:24 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

Yea from what I read the last book that will have anything in common with the series is due out in October. They been working together. The problem is though a book takes 2 years to produce and the series only one. That's why there doing stuff outside the book with the characters, so they don't get too far ahead of the book. Keep in mind one author vs 5-10 writers coming up with stuff.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 07:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: camain

Yea from what I read the last book that will have anything in common with the series is due out in October.

Martin's publisher said it will not be out until 2016.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I enjoy the fact that the books differ from the show. It's a nice condensing for me, and it explores different paths that the books could have taken. It's really like getting two stories in one. With the rate that George RR Martin releases his books, we never could have hoped that 7 seasons of television would be enough for him to finish his series.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct
I enjoy the fact that the books differ from the show. It's a nice condensing for me, and it explores different paths that the books could have taken. It's really like getting two stories in one. With the rate that George RR Martin releases his books, we never could have hoped that 7 seasons of television would be enough for him to finish his series.

one was bad enough for me. its beyond me how game of thrones got so popular, although it is better than the kardashians.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 02:48 PM
link   
I think if you read the bio's George Martin aint got nothing to do with writing this or future episodes. Though he will say he is as he still gets credit and heavy greenbacks.
Anybody who saw the first couple of series (which were close to the books and with Martins input in production) knows that this new series doesn't hold a candle to the books. I am seriously disappointed up to yet, I hope it livens up.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Personally, I'm liking the narrative of the show BETTER than that of the books. It's a lot more satisfying so far.

posted on Jun, 5 2015 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Gazrok

i am trying to enjoy the series - but i am blinking WTF too often .

i am seeing too much of what i believe to be :

" changes for the sake of making it different "

and i cannot guage the reason for things tht " just happen "

the books have loads of loose ends and mystery - but on second reading - things start to make sense

the series just seems - off somehow

posted on Jul, 6 2015 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Personally, I like the story choices the show is taking, better than the ones in the books. I do get confused these days though, going between the two. When the new book comes out...the whole Sansa thing is really going to mess up my head. That's really the big main difference.

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 03:03 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape
Oh ya! Between all the changes and the oh so obvious story plots I do believe that the writer one George R. R. Martin may just have bitten off more then he can chew in terms of story telling. And considering it takes him years and years to come out with a book in the continuing saga there are so many plot holes between the two he may as well just write two different stories now.

I am still pissed of they removed strong belwas from the TV show. I wasnt going to watch after that, but I did anyways. Most book to TV or Movie always change up or do things a bit different, most are adaptations as some things cant be done in a 2 hour movie or 30 minute show as they are expressed in the book.

But I think this is the first case were the guy will literally have to write two different stories for the same thing. But its most likely he is just finishing his storyark or did so already it just has not been published yet, and its likely that others are working on how it will be translated to the show. Which will likely leave a lot of room for plot holes in both, but we shall see.

Personally the author has said that the one thing he strives for in his stories and books is to not be predictable or adding new twists. But I do believe he will have some work in achieving that because, ya it becomes sort of obvious what will happen in the plot of the game of thrones in the world of ice and fire. This series right now is probably the most thought about by people out there in social media.

If anything, if the author wants to remain as he said not predictable in his story telling, he may have to watch a few videos and see were they match to his writing and plot so far. Some of these guys have to much time and there are plenty of people and there evaluation and over evaluation of the storylines and everything game of thrones, or a song of ice and fire out there. But ya, the books and the TV series is already shifting to be two different storylines.

Here this guy does a pretty good job in the possible plot lines in the series. Some of them are obvious, but then again, we shall see, because if he kills off every charter? Well...What would be the point of the story then. After all the charters dies what would really be a twist would be to switch the storyline to a new charter, maybe even from the viewpoint of the other or white walkers and who knows what else. But I think the author has kind of written himself into a quite predictable hole. However the show should still be entertaining.

posted on Oct, 25 2015 @ 03:16 AM
link   
Here are some cool series of backstories and history of the world of ice and fire if anybody was interested from the HBO show complete with actor voicing them as well.

Its actually pretty cool, and has some cool artwork, and it does fill in the story plots of the what and why some of the things are happening in the show and the books and its history. If anybody is more interested in the whole mythos and world of the books and want to be filled in why its all going on. These shorts, vids/ backhistorys do that.

The whole of them are pretty long however.

top topics

join