It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This 85-year old Nun Just Spent Two Years in Prison for Protesting Nuclear Weapons

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 03:43 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Graffiti and chipping away at a concrete wall with hammers? Come on, a real sabotage attempt would involve petrol disc cutters, pneumatic breakers, and diamond core drills.
Some old lady with a lump hammer is laughable.

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

Yes, I'm joking. Please read the Ecologist link.

Miners strike. Magnox reactors run full pelt. Sellafield overrun with used fuel. Fuel left too long. Magnesium corrodes. Pools become opaque. Inventories inadequate. Unknown quantities of plutonium etc. abandoned for 40 years.

The photographs show it all. Perhaps you could stick one up here for everyone to see. I'm not computer literate enough.

www.theecologist.org...

And to top it all off bringing attention to the lack of adequate numbers of Nuclear Police is a two flag story. www.abovetopsecret.com...

Security is inadequate.

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 03:51 PM
link   

I didn't say it was sabotage.

But it was breaking and entering. It was vandalism, sort of...

...and I did say I thought the sentence was a bit excessive, did I not??

Not to mention it was a nuclear materials storage facility.

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

Some old lady with a lump hammer is laughable.

You won't be laughing when you've seen the Ecologist story. She doesn't need a lump hammer. Breaking wind would bring the pool wall down.

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 04:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Kester

I read your link, I knew about it last year, don't be twisting my words, I said the old lady with a lump hammer in the OP was laughable.
I am fully aware of the risks to our nuclear establishments, and thankfully the handful of armed CNC officers are able to fend an old lady with a lump hammer off.

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 04:03 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Fair one, we mostly find agreement then

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 04:17 PM
link   

No Im not, nor have I ever been joking including in high school when I spoke up to the teachers. I do not follow bad orders by corrupt criminals. I denounce and renounce this political system and all of their evil satanic rogue judges.

It will take counsels of citizens and groups of citizens with instant fire buttons for leaders and judges, also overseeing all decisions before even in minor cases, would ever begin to consider this system improving from criminal. And no winner take all, all positions should be groups of citizens holding one seat for every seat so bad ass decisions cease to exist and all legislation and so called laws, need overhauling. We the citizens need to immediately overturn some of them, for their absolute violation of human rights who the entire earth and every seed bearing plant belongs to equally, including nature. So drug laws, all gone. And the ones remaining, we need to scan for their abuse of common law and constitution and common sense and whether they are ugly twisted abuses of power.

I am honor bound to perform citizens arrests on every single one of them if they show up.

I do speak up locally, have had police slither like cobra's in a very non human way in the past, and have told doctors they must be Alastair Crowley fans, because the way I look at it, you're either incredibly ignorant or incredibly evil and I can't see you being ignorant. I speak up to everyone I meet.

I am not leaving this world as an enabler of this system or with the blood of millions on my hand like ever so many do by being asleep at the wheel.
edit on 23-5-2015 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 04:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Unity_99
I speak up to everyone I meet.
Cool, won't stop you getting arrested though.
...and citizens arrests on Judges? That is the funniest thing I've read in a while. Good luck with that, sounds just like the stuff 'freemen on the land' spout, and never actually win. Lol.

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: yorkshirelad

Yeah cause that really worked out well for Richard Marcinko and REDCELL. didn't it?

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 08:25 PM
link   
a reply to: caladonea

You have a hunch?

She probably was aware of the possiblity of arrest - most activists accept that as part of the territory.

But she, nor the others with her committed the crime they were accused and convicted of.

They were charged and convicted of a 'capital crime'.

Why is it that so hard to understand.

I get that you don't agree with her position. Do you dispute her right to have an opinion then yours? And how she goes about expressing that opinion in order to get the widest hearing?

None of our 'rights' would have come about if "the framers" of the country didn't commit tresspass and vandalism upon British property. In fact the Framers probably practised actual - sabotage - in the furtherance of their opinion.

But that's okay, right...

Ms. Rice and her companions had no 'intent' to do permanant harm to even slow down any production or operations at the site. Their ethical conscious required a symbolic gesture - such as an environmentist chains themselves to a tree. In no way were they a threat to the security of the USA - unless - and read this very carefully - their ideas alone are a threat.

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 08:37 PM
link   

a reply to: FyreByrd

Punishment is always a risk in any civil disobedience/direct action/law breaking.
I've broken various laws over the years while fighting various issues, and have taken the risk with full knowledge of the possible consequences.
If you can't take the consequences then just do the protest with a sign thing, but chipping away at the walls of a nuclear establishment is always going to piss the authorities off much more than a sign.

I haven't been arrested for 'direct action' for quite a long time now, last was for sabotaging sporting fox hunts before they were banned in the UK. Next I assume will be in the coming year or so when we discover if the new government here is to allow commercial planting and sale of GMO crops for the first time ever.
You won't hear me bitching if I'm punished though, I take the risks in full knowledge of the consequences.

Yes and I am certain they were prepared for encarseration for their crimes. However, they did not commit sabotage in any way, shape or form.

They were charged, not with the premeditated crimes they intended, but with sabotage. This is a sign of weakness and decay and as clear sign of an authoritarian state.

As an activist in some manner yourself surely you can understand this 'fearful' escalation?

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 08:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Unity_99

No Im not, nor have I... when I ... I do not... I ...

----
I am...

I do ... the way I look at it, ... I can't see ... I ... I ....

I ... my...

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Are you sure you read my reply correctly...because some of what you say in your reply does not really apply to what I said. Each to their own...I guess...peace out.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 06:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: RoScoLaz4
they deserved a round of applause.

The idiots deserve jail. They broke into a nuclear facility and they vandalized it. No matter how educated they are, their behavior can't be excused.
edit on 5/24/2015 by FlyersFan because: spacing

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 08:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: FyreByrd
They were charged, not with the premeditated crimes they intended, but with sabotage. This is a sign of weakness and decay and as clear sign of an authoritarian state.

As an activist in some manner yourself surely you can understand this 'fearful' escalation?
Absolutely, and I agree. We have similar concerns here in the UK with police applying 'anti-terrorist' legislation inappropriately so they can hold a suspect without charge for up to 14 days instead of the usual 2 for 'non-terrorism' crimes.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: FyreByrd

Absolutely, and I agree. We have similar concerns here in the UK with police applying 'anti-terrorist' legislation inappropriately so they can hold a suspect without charge for up to 14 days instead of the usual 2 for 'non-terrorism' crimes.

Thank you for having the wits/reason/thoughtfulness to understand the point.

The lack of understanding the difference between what they actually did and what they were charged and initially convicted of is truly frightening.

If, as a people, we cannot distinguish and take note of these horrific misuses of 'law' then I fear we are doomed to living in some Orwellian fascist state.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 02:44 PM
link   

It is shocking how many people disregard the potential misuse of many of our laws in the UK. The 'terrorist' legislation is horribly wide and includes such sweeping definitions as:

action taken to advance any 'political, religious, racial or ideological' cause designed to influence the government of any country or international organisation or to intimidate any member of the public anywhere in the world.
Liberty UK
My bolding in the quote, but it is scary how that can be applied to pretty much any political group which disagrees with the government.
I do totally get what you are saying, it is a pity that many folk are just sleepwalking through life and/or don't really care as it hasn't affected them yet.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join