It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate kills Bill On NSA Domestic Surveillance Reform

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on May, 23 2015 @ 08:29 AM
link   

The USA Freedom Act has failed in the Senate, stalling an effort to reform certain federal surveillance programs before an end-of-the-month deadline ends the government’s ability to collect the phone records of Americans.

During a Senate vote on Friday, the bill was rejected by a vote of 57-42. It had previously been passed in the House of Representatives with overwhelming success.

Well Well Well!! looks like Rand Pauls 10 hour filibuster Worked in stalling this bill.

If this bill would have passed it would have essentially given the Government the "legal" right to spy on Us and collect data.

The “USA Patriot Act” as a whole also fell short of being adopted, with the Senate voting 45-54. A total of 60 votes in favor were needed to advance the measure.

On June 1, the legal authorization permitting the bulk collection of American’s so-called phone “metadata” expires, calling into question the future of federal counter-terrorism and national security operations.

Also it would have exstended the Patriot Act!

I would like to Thank Rand paul and his colleague's who worked hard on shutting this bill down ! If somehow they are able to see this message , Thank You again!! .I am greatful we have politicians like you who still care about the American people!
Link

Rand Paul for POTUS 2016!!!!

edit on 23-5-2015 by Kapusta because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 08:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Kapusta

Best news I've 'heard' all day. Going to look it up and see what I can find. Might want to edit in a link on the OP.
ETA:

The Senate will return to Washington on May 31 to consider ways to prevent the expiration of the program on June 1, according to Republican US Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell.

Ughh ... Mitch ... Quit it!!
edit on 2352015 by Snarl because: ETA

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Good!

I for one hope the Patriot Act dies.

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Wow...I am amazed yet elated. I dont believe the spying will stop as they will just do it illegally I imagine...but this really is great news in a world full of bad news.

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 08:37 AM
link   

"We have entered into a momentous debate," said Paul, who said he objected because his request for a guarantee of two amendments on a future bill dealing with the NSA program was denied. "This is a debate about whether a warrant with a single name of a single company can be used to collect all of the phone records of all of the people in our country with a single warrant. Our forefathers would be aghast."

Later, standing on the floor in the hushed chamber, McConnell made repeated attempts to keep the law alive. The first was to extend the NSA's authority to June 8, which was objected to by Paul. McConnell's next attempt was to extend to June 5, which was objected to by Oregon Democratic Sen. Ron Wyden, an ally of Paul on the issue. An attempt by McConnell at a June 3 deadline was denied by Sen. Martin Heinrich, D-New Mexico. Finally, McConnell requested the program be extended until June 2, just one day after the law is set to expire, and Paul objected again.

Senators, who throughout the week generally thought a short-term extension would eventually be approved, appeared stunned by the swift exchanges between McConnell and the three opponents of the program. Gasps were audible.

cnn

They tried to pass the extension in the middle of the night like they originally passed this law and failed, for now.

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Nice...

Good for you America!!!

We got screwed over here last week.

www.dailymail.co.uk...< br />

For those who don't know...

GCHQ is the British equivalent of the NSA...

And they wrote into law last week that they can legally spy on us.

Say "Hi GCHQ"

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Vigilance is essential at this point, more so than before. They ones pushing these bills WILL try to sneak it through up until the last minute. This fight is not over yet, so I reserve my celebrations until June 2nd.

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 08:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa
Vigilance is essential at this point, more so than before. They ones pushing these bills WILL try to sneak it through up until the last minute. This fight is not over yet, so I reserve my celebrations until June 2nd.

I have faith in Rand Paul and his colleague's,they were able to fight it once they can do it again . This also requires our help as well . Be vocal spread the news !

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Whoops
edit on 23-5-2015 by intrptr because: (no reason given)

If they are limiting surveillance of one kind its probably because the technology has become obsolete and or replaced by something 'new and improved'.

Like the Missile talks and treaties under Reagan, they scrapped a bunch of weapons systems making it sound like they were "disarming".
edit on 23-5-2015 by intrptr because: redaction and change

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

How ya doin Bud? Hope You are well.

Sucks that you guys got the shaft on that bill.
The spying crap is not right..... But will happen illegally anyway,
because they can do it...

Remember Bro, "It's just a Ride..." Syx...

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 09:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kapusta

The USA Freedom Act has failed in the Senate, stalling an effort to reform certain federal surveillance programs before an end-of-the-month deadline ends the government’s ability to collect the phone records of Americans.

During a Senate vote on Friday, the bill was rejected by a vote of 57-42. It had previously been passed in the House of Representatives with overwhelming success.

Well Well Well!! looks like Rand Pauls 10 hour filibuster Worked in stalling this bill.

If this bill would have passed it would have essentially given the Government the "legal" right to spy on Us and collect data.

The “USA Patriot Act” as a whole also fell short of being adopted, with the Senate voting 45-54. A total of 60 votes in favor were needed to advance the measure.

On June 1, the legal authorization permitting the bulk collection of American’s so-called phone “metadata” expires, calling into question the future of federal counter-terrorism and national security operations.

Also it would have exstended the Patriot Act!

I would like to Thank Rand paul and his colleague's who worked hard on shutting this bill down ! If somehow they are able to see this message , Thank You again!! .I am greatful we have politicians like you who still care about the American people!
Link

Rand Paul for POTUS 2016!!!!

I've gone fully independent. It seems that at the elected level, mainline Democrats and Republicans close ranks when it comes to any of the following topics: Domestic surveillance, empire-building foreign policy. This is demonstrable via voting records, speeches, bills, and so on. The only places they really differ are domestic social policy, and a little bit on economic and business policy.

It's a bit scary to be honest how many Americans don't really give a darn about these topics.

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 09:33 AM
link   
a reply to: SyxPak

Not bad my friend, hope you're well.

Yeah they got us on that one.

Only problem is if illegally it can't be used against us in court...
This ruling means they can.

We've been on this ride before I think...
We're the ones who come back to remind people

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 09:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Quetzalcoatl14
It's a bit scary to be honest how many Americans don't really give a darn about these topics.

It is scary. I think a lot of people have just become numb to it. Or, maybe they're simply distracted by Candy Crush.

When the FBI openly admits there has not been a single terrorist caught by the Patriot Act ... it might just be time to retire it ... and everyone drawing a salary to support it.

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

I am fine thanx. Good seeing You!

Yah court, rules suck. "It is what It Is" Bro.

This here I agree with wholeheartedly! "We've been on this ride before I think...
We're the ones who come back to remind people"

You hit the nail right on the head with that statement!

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 09:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl

originally posted by: Quetzalcoatl14

It is scary. I think a lot of people have just become numb to it. Or, maybe they're simply distracted by Candy Crush.

When the FBI openly admits there has not been a single terrorist caught by the Patriot Act ... it might just be time to retire it ... and everyone drawing a salary to support it.

Yeah, I think too that the media purposefully obscures everything, distracts, misdirects, mischaracterizes, etc. So with most people not having the time or will to seek out a range of information, they end up just being download receptacles for manufactured consent by the government.

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Best damn news I've heard in a while I am a Rand man.

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 10:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Greathouse

Same here !

I watched his whole filibuster and let me just say ....wow ! What a man true to the American people .

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 10:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
Whoops

If they are limiting surveillance of one kind its probably because the technology has become obsolete and or replaced by something 'new and improved'.

Like the Missile talks and treaties under Reagan, they scrapped a bunch of weapons systems making it sound like they were "disarming".

As usual your charming self is a breath of fresh air and a ray of sunshine.

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I hope they are watching me.
That way they will know I'm the wrong guy to jack with for no good reason.

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 10:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kapusta

originally posted by: Greathouse

Same here !

I watched his whole filibuster and let me just say ....wow ! What a man true to the American people .

I've been on Rand's bandwagon for quite some time. If you look into his history and his positions there is very little flip-flopping although many people claim otherwise. The NSA Reform Act was brought up in one thread about how he voted against it and he's a traitor. It made me realize how woefully uninformed most people are on him.

I suggest anyone that lumps him with the rest of the politicians look into his history he is a man of his word. Watch before this threat is over someone will use the last method they can to attack him. They will claim he sold his dad out claims like those are based purely on speculation. Because no one is actually privy to the reasons he did not back his father. But I firmly believe that his father approved of his actions into 2012.

I think the biggest problem Rand Paul faces is that people are gun shy because of what happen in 2012.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join