It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Looks like Ireland's referendum on gay marriage is a Yes.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 08:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Seamrog

Lol, if your traditional marriage is crap it is an issue between yourself and your partner, blaming your failings on same sex marriage is pretty lame.
Quite amusing though so do carry on, I enjoy the chuckle.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 08:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: MRuss
I have gay friends. I am open. I am tolerant.

No, you're really not, otherwise you would understand why this is an important issue for LGBT people. You can't claim to be open and tolerant while then ranting about having to hear about it "all the time".

originally posted by: MRuss
But I am so incredibly sick of hearing, talking and breathing the GAY thing. Is there nothing else to talk about in the world? Is there nothing else on TV? Is there nothing else worthy of our attention?

The "gay thing"?
So you come into a discussion about same sex marriage, to then complain that it's being thrust on you?
Maybe if you weren't seeking it out to rant about you wouldn't have this bizarre opinion that it's the "only thing" going on.

You might want to check out all the news stations and websites, because I think you'll find they're all reporting on Europe, Nepal, Russia and Ukraine, Baltimore, Texas... as well as Ireland.

So, what you're really saying is, "I wish people would shut up about something that I'm not interested in, while I rant about how uninterested and fed up I am about it".

Must be great to be one of the people who has never had to fight for basic rights at all in your life, ever.
edit on 25-5-2015 by Rocker2013 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 08:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

Who is calling it fake? it isn't in Ireland anymore it is real the majority have spoken and do want this in part of their society.
Just because you CHOOSE to feel it devalues marriage I disagree I think it strengthens it, what makes your marriage any more special than two gay guys who also love each other whom has just gotten married?.

I love seeing people claiming that allowing someone else to marry degrades their marriage, someone should sit them down and tell them that if allowing others to marry damages your own marriage you got married to the wrong person and for the wrong reasons!

Imagine being in a marriage and its "validity" being dependent on who else can or cannot get married! It's f-ing bizarre, but then I think this is one of those fringe arguments for those who have ran out of any genuine debating points. They've lost the argument so many times they have to resort to entirely strange arguments to make themselves feel as though they have a point.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Faux marriages have been pretty common for a very long time in the heterosexual world. I guess that means your marriage ain't worth crap. You might as well get a divorce since it's worth so little.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 08:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

Lol, if your traditional marriage is crap it is an issue between yourself and your partner, blaming your failings on same sex marriage is pretty lame.
Quite amusing though so do carry on, I enjoy the chuckle.

And I love the "traditional marriage" bs too.
What "tradition" are going with?
They want to pick out their specifically Christian notion of marriage from the last few hundred years, calling it "traditional" as though it's the only example, the only option, as if this somehow proves that Christianity "owns" it.
In fact, the Native Americans accepted same sex marriage, the Pagans of Europe did too, various societies and cultures have accepted various forms of commitment ceremony between various people. Even the CATHOLIC CHURCH accepted same sex marriage!

But no, the Christians want to force the notion that marriage belongs exclusively to them, so they'll call it "traditional" and frame their "one man and one woman" mantra within that term, while ignoring the reality stretching back through thousands upon thousands of years of Human civilization.

If anything, this proves once again how ignorant and uneducated the average bible basher is.

And, If anything is a mental illness, it's the refusal of reality in favor of nonsensical fairy stories, just thought I would put that out there for another right-wing nutter to rant about

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 08:47 AM
link   
If Christians were really so concerned with their "traditional marriage" and the "sanctity" of their commitment ceremony, you would think they would be making more noise about the hook-up shows, Vegas weddings, people getting divorced, infidelity...

I find it baffling how these same people can be ranting about two people who love each other "hijacking" marriage, while they say nothing at all about the millions of straight people who regularly abuse their notion of marriage every year.

Again, hypocrites and imbeciles the lot of them.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 08:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: puzzlesphere
a reply to: Dfairlite

Why are you so against gay marriage? How does it actually effect you?

You and your ilk don't own the word marriage. Marriage has lots of meanings, and any two people (or group for that matter) that want to call themselves "married" can, whether you like it or not. It has become necessary as a society to mandate the right for people to do so because of bigotted people like you who just can't seem to let others just lead their lives.

So in a sense your inability to live and let live has led to greater involvement of government in our lives.

Even though you're still free to think like a bigot, logic has won out, highlighting how wrong you actually are.

Get over it.

Gay marriage affects everyone in a society. It's a stamp of approval on a deviant behavior that has absolutely zero positives for society as a whole. It puts a relationship that is incomplete on the same level as a relationship that is complete. Homosexual unions do not have the same dynamic that a heterosexual union has. Homosexual unions lack the diversity that is ideal for child rearing. They lack the ability to procreate. Homosexual relationships are simply for personal pleasure, not for the good of society. The family unit is the cornerstone of societal makeup and calling a relationship that lacks diversity and is unable to create a family the same as a relationship that has both male and female and has the ability to create a family, is nothing other than appeasement. (What happened to celebrating diversity?)

Queue infertility argument... it's so easy to defeat, so bring it, please.

Look, I don't give two #'s what two 'adults' do together behind closed doors. That's up to them, but when it is put on a pedestal for all to see, that's when I have a problem with it.

Now let me flip your statement around on you. Why are you so for gay marriage (notice how we differentiate, marriage from gay marriage, even now)? How does changing that word affect you?

You and your ilk don't own the word marriage and your misusing the word will not change what a real marriage is. A reindeer will never be a rhinoceros, even with your ilk attempting to claim that it is. Even if you get some government body to say that a reindeer is a rhinoceros, we all know the difference and everyone from small children to the elderly can see the difference.

And no, logic has not won out. in fact the opposite has happened. I work in logic and logic can tell the difference between two vastly different things. What has won out is people's exhaustion with dealing with the whining and moaning of the gay community. What has won out is emotion (quite contrary, in most cases, to logic).

You can get a consensus that the world is flat and you would still be wrong, something like this passing, doesn't make me (or those like me) incorrect.

And I am over it. I honestly don't care what Ireland does. I understand that this world must reach the depths of depravity before a reset can happen. But I would be ignoring my duty as a sane rational person if I didn't protest the insanity when I saw it.

Have a great day!
edit on 25-5-2015 by Dfairlite because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 08:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rocker2013
If Christians were really so concerned with their "traditional marriage" and the "sanctity" of their commitment ceremony, you would think they would be making more noise about the hook-up shows, Vegas weddings, people getting divorced, infidelity...

I find it baffling how these same people can be ranting about two people who love each other "hijacking" marriage, while they say nothing at all about the millions of straight people who regularly abuse their notion of marriage every year.

Again, hypocrites and imbeciles the lot of them.

Yes, there are imbeciles and hypocrites everywhere. However, if you find actual Christians, you'll see that they are disgusted by the things you mention.

People seem to have this idea that going to a christian church makes one christian, that is not any more accurate than saying going to math class makes one a mathematician. Sure, you may learn the skills, but unless you employ what you've learned in an expert way you are neither a Christian nor a mathematician.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Then why not fight to make these types of marriages illegal? Why is the fight specifically to ban gay marriage?

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   

I can't answer for anyone else, but I am not for gay marriage. I am for marriage equality. I am for law abiding citizens having access to the same state benefits that all other law abiding citizens have access to. I don't care what churches do and whose marriage they decide to sanction. I DO care about what my government will and won't sanction for all of its citizens equally, across the board.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 09:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dfairlite
They lack the ability to procreate.

My marriage lacks the ability AND THE DESIRE to procreate, yet no one is crying or complaining about my marriage... Many marriages are childless by choice.

Homosexual relationships are simply for personal pleasure, not for the good of society.

To be honest, my marriage is almost 100% about personal pleasure. And doesn't benefit society in any way. It benefits me and my spouse. We derive personal pleasure from being together every day, sharing love, having fun together, and being secure in the knowledge that if one of us becomes ill, injured or dies, the other can take care of everything. Society doesn't benefit at all.

The family unit is the cornerstone of societal makeup and calling a relationship that lacks diversity and is unable to create a family the same as a relationship that has both male and female and has the ability to create a family, is nothing other than appeasement.

That's your opinion and has no basis in fact. A gay relationship doesn't "lack diversity" any more than straight relationships do. People are diverse in their interests, personalities, beliefs, opinions, etc. Gay people aren't clones of each other. They're just as diverse as any other two people.

Queue infertility argument... it's so easy to defeat, so bring it, please.

Go for it. Cover the "childless by choice" argument while you're at it. Our government lets people marry WITHOUT REGARD to their plans to breed.

Look, I don't give two #'s what two 'adults' do together behind closed doors. That's up to them, but when it is put on a pedestal for all to see, that's when I have a problem with it.

You're right in that it's YOU who has a problem with it. YOUR problem, not ours, not mine, not gay people's. Good luck with that.

Why are you so for gay marriage (notice how we differentiate, marriage from gay marriage, even now)?

YOU differentiate it. I don't. Marriage is marriage.

You and your ilk don't own the word marriage and your misusing the word will not change what a real marriage is.

Right back at'cha. You don't own it and however YOU define it is up to YOU. Other people have the same freedom, whether YOU like it or not.

Even if you get some government body to say that a reindeer is a rhinoceros, we all know the difference and everyone from small children to the elderly can see the difference.

That's fine. You are allowed to dislike marriage equality and fight it tooth and nail for the rest of your life if you want. Go right on. It's not going to change the inevitable, thankfully.
edit on 5/25/2015 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 10:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

I can't answer for anyone else, but I am not for gay marriage. I am for marriage equality. I am for law abiding citizens having access to the same state benefits that all other law abiding citizens have access to. I don't care what churches do and whose marriage they decide to sanction. I DO care about what my government will and won't sanction for all of its citizens equally, across the board.

Any man can marry any woman.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 10:36 AM
link   
"WHAT I WANT, WHAT I WHAT I WANT!!!"

That's about what your arguments boil down to.

Personal whims aside, the fundamental glue of our society is the family - not homosexuals, not habitual divorcers, not single mothers, not shack-ups, not hook-ups, not two people who just want to enjoy each other.

It is the FAMILY: Mother. Father. Children. Together.

That is what marriage protects.

Faux marriage is all about "WHAT I WANT, WHAT I WANT WHAT I WANT!!!"

That, and all things below the waist.

It has NOTHING to do with equality.

You relativists will destroy the family at EVERYONE's peril.

That's why it matters so much. It DOES effect EVERYONE.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   

That's not quite true. But I understand what you mean.

And in 37 states and the District of Columbia - a man can marry a man and a woman can marry a woman.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   

I'm sorry, I thought I was in the rant forum for a minute.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 10:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Seamrog
Personal whims aside, the fundamental glue of our society is the family - not homosexuals, not habitual divorcers, not single mothers, not shack-ups, not hook-ups, not two people who just want to enjoy each other.

And people will still be permitted to have families. And all those other things are perfectly legal.

It is the FAMILY: Mother. Father. Children. Together.

That does not describe my family. Mine is man, woman, dogs, together. What YOUR family consists of is YOUR choice. What MY family consists of is MY choice. Let FREEDOM ring!

That is what marriage protects.

Marriage protects MANY things aside from children.

That's why it matters so much. It DOES effect EVERYONE.

HOW?

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

My marriage lacks the ability AND THE DESIRE to procreate, yet no one is crying or complaining about my marriage... Many marriages are childless by choice.

And how many of those people, who get married not planning on having kids, end up having them? How many people who believed (or were told) they were infertile end up getting pregnant? Inherently a man and woman relationship does not lack the ability nor the desire. You don't make rules based on the exception. A homosexual relationship is unable to procreate, inherently. It's just a fact.

o be honest, my marriage is almost 100% about personal pleasure. And doesn't benefit society in any way. It benefits me and my spouse. We derive personal pleasure from being together every day, sharing love, having fun together, and being secure in the knowledge that if one of us becomes ill, injured or dies, the other can take care of everything. Society doesn't benefit at all.

Actually, it does. Even if you are too blind to recognize it. You have pledged yourself to your spouse, are in a loving relationship with her, and as far as passerby's are concerned you may very well have children now or in the future (I have no clue how old you are so I'm covering my bases there). you set an example to others in society, regardless of how well they know you.

That's your opinion and has no basis in fact. A gay relationship doesn't "lack diversity" any more than straight relationships do. People are diverse in their interests, personalities, beliefs, opinions, etc. Gay people aren't clones of each other. They're just as diverse as any other two people.

Ummmm no, that's not an opinion, it is fact. I'll just give one example. Do hormones effect your behavior and mental state? Of course. And how much estrogen is there in a male-male marriage? male-male and female-female is not as diverse as male-female.

Go for it. Cover the "childless by choice" argument while you're at it. Our government lets people marry WITHOUT REGARD to their plans to breed.

Already covered it. Plans change. For homosexual couples their plans cannot change. They cannot procreate with one-another.

Right back at'cha. You don't own it and however YOU define it is up to YOU. Other people have the same freedom, whether YOU like it or not.

Words have meanings. Reindeer and rhinoceros.

You are allowed to dislike marriage equality

I do dislike when things that are not equal are treated as equal. And I will continue to dislike it.

It's not going to change the inevitable

Exactly. The inevitable destruction of mankind will not be stopped by my protests. I accept that.
edit on 25-5-2015 by Dfairlite because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 10:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

That's not quite true. But I understand what you mean.

And in 37 states and the District of Columbia - a man can marry a man and a woman can marry a woman.

Star for you. Nothing but facts, I can't disagree with that.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 11:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

Then why not fight to make these types of marriages illegal? Why is the fight specifically to ban gay marriage?

If water is leaking into your boat, you stop the leak before you worry about draining the ship. Catch my drift?

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Marriage has nothing to do with being able to have kids.
Lots of people can not or do not have kids and are married.
Some adopt and some gay married couples adopt and the kids do not turn gay and grow up well adjusted people.
My Uncle and his husband adopted two troubled kids and they have turned out great....a great family.
edit on 25-5-2015 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join