It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Do I stay or do I go now...

page: 1

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 02:31 AM
I'm sure many people have experienced a similar crossroads in their life...

This particular crossroads for me is career related.
Not changing careers, but maybe moving to another company after a long time (about 10 years) with the one I'm currently at.

I just want to get some opinions on what you would personally do...

Basically, the job that has been offered to me is the same duties I'm doing right now for about $10-15k more per year however it's a little higher stress situation with a significantly shorter deadline (8 days vs 30 days), it's about 20-30 miles farther to drive each day & I'd be starting all over again virtually throwing away 10 years of seniority with the company I'm at.

How do you decide where that line is?
What would you do?

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 02:45 AM
a reply to: coldkidc

Would an outside opinion help?

I've been in this predicament before, you ask someone what they think, and they'll tell you.

And you'll either be happy that they agreed with you.

Or, you'll say yeah, that makes sense. And still do what you want.

Just go with your gut.

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 02:47 AM
My advice is to stand on your own two feet and make your decisions yourself. Once you have over control of your life to others your rato. I'ts OK seek counsel but not to reply on what anyone here suggests you do. A better question may have been to ask people who have faced similar choices have fared and which things did over or under think?

best of luck

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 02:48 AM
a reply to: rockintitz

Just out of curiosity though...what did you do & how did it work out for you if you don't mind me asking?

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 02:51 AM
a reply to: Azureblue

That's really probably how I should have worded it...I don't think anything anyone says here is going to make my mind up for me.
Really just looking for experiences from people that have been in this situation to help me process.
I'm meeting with the new company one last time this coming week & I'd like to have my mind made up by then but it's a tough choice.

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 02:53 AM
Are you happy in your present position? Do you have prospects of increasing your income if you stay with the company? What are the prospects for your current employer in another 10 years vs. the prospective company in ten years? What does your heart say?
How much stress is an extra $5-10k/yr. going to relieve? (Taking taxes and the extra commute into consideration, you'll only be realizing about half of that increase in income I'd guess.) Is it worth being in a car and away from home an extra hour or so on a daily basis? How would the loss of those hours impact those closest to me?
Are you unhappy or discontented in your current position and needing a challenge? Will the new position provide the spark you seek?
These are the questions I would have to answer in making such a decision. Good luck!

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 02:54 AM

New Job - more money, higher stress (driving longer in traffic), longer travel time, no seniority, a way shorter deadline.

Current Job - 10 years seniority, less travel time, a longer deadline. less stress.

The thing about the new job that (of course) is appealing in the extra $10,000 to $15,000 you would get per year. If you strongly feel you can handle the higher stress and travel time...then I would take the job...a new challenge.

If you feel that you really like so much where you are and don't care for the negatives of the new job...then stay. In your current job it sounds as though you have some security.

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 03:08 AM

Bottom Line Up Front: Add up the pros and cons and your decision will be clear.

If you go back and read my intro thread, you'll find I have been looking for a suitable job for two years. I've taken one and I'm wrapping up my time in Korea. The movers will be here on Monday (Sunday night your time).

Compelling reasons for me to leave: I'm damn tired of living here, I get to be closer to my kids, my wife's parents have passed-on now (which is why we originally came back here), I get a nice little pay bump, it sets me up for retirement.

The cons: I've got friends here that are closer to me than my extended family members, I'll lose (and never regain) my position of seniority, the overall security of living here (if you rule out a North Korean invasion LOL) can't be matched in America.

The heaviest weight was given to being closer to my kids and developing retirement options.

You're talking of a pay bump upwards of $15K. Is that that important? An extra 30 miles driving distance ... is that one-way? That's gonna wear on you. Can you move closer? Are you moving into a position with better retirement options? Are you giving up any retirement options?

Whew ... I hope it works out in your favor!!

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 03:14 AM

My two cents,

If I was you I probably would not take that job unless you really need the extra money and here's why,

1. You have 10 years already with your current company and seniority (If you go to the other you lose that, but the bigger question is will they match your leave and benefits from the other).

2. The new job as you said is higher stress with faster deadlines, for me that says no right there. My last job was at the Dept of VA, very high stress most actually die before they even retire and most who do retire die within less than 3-5 years about 25% turnover and quotas if you don't cut it you get canned. Nothing worse than thinking the grass is greener on the other side and finding out you now have to walk on egg shells and dodge more daggers than Rome's Cesar. When a job is stressful and too fast pace it's a really bad combo and most get ill eventually or burn out.

3. Distance, you said it's an extra 20-30 miles, if that's one way that's 40-60 miles extra to and back from. The factor now is how much gas cost does this add and also more distance means having to upkeep your vehicle more as well, more added cost but this might be offset by salary, Only you know that answer but remember to take out taxes so you can find your true salary numbers. Before I resigned from the VA I drove 120+ miles a day to get to work and back, it's a 60 mile trip one way so gas and maintenance was killing me lol but was partially offset by my old salary there. So this is another factor to consider.

But most importantly, it's your choice we don't know all the variables but you do if I were you I would compile a pros and cons list between the two jobs to help and pray on it. And like someone else said don't just take anyone's word but do vigilant research and dig within your mind and heart and you will find your answer. God Bless and good luck in your endeavors.

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 03:39 AM

I don't think you should ask anyone's opinion. You sound like a completely capable person. You should make your mind up on your own.

But while you're thinking about it here's some music to listen to.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

edit on 23-5-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 03:46 AM
what are the people like you work with or will be working with
Whats the new company's attitude to its staff
Whats the new companys ethics

Money doesnt motivate me very much, its about how much I enjoy working with the people I work with.

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 05:24 AM
Stay where you are.
If 10 - 15k made that much of a difference to you, you'd have been looking for a new job long ago.
Extra commute time, more fuel cost, wear and tear on the vehicle, tires wear out sooner, more time away from home, car insurance can be higher the farther away you work....
You're giving up 10. Years. Seniority.
More stress at the new job.
Tighter deadlines.

Of course, if you're looking for a new challenge.........
But it's not, is it? Same job with a bit more money.

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 07:48 AM
Not so sure why the negative comments about asking for the thoughts of others. I like the different perspectives of others when it comes to making a decision. They can be helpful by introducing ideas I might not have considered to date. In the end, I still make my own decisions, based on any new and relevant information I have received.

On topic:
Have you considered the solidity and longevity of the two companies?
Also, there's a reason the new company is paying so much more. What is it?
You know your job better than all of us. Can you meet an 8 day deadline consistently, all other factors being equal?

Best of luck to you.

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 10:28 AM

I think the real question is whether the stress is worth the extra pay. Also that kind of far to drive. It adds up if gas prices are high. Then, starting over all over again after so long. Is that worth it?

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 02:33 PM

Stress is the last thing you need. As a human, I mean - stress is just bad for the body's health. My opinion? Never trade your health for cash.

Just my opinion.

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 11:46 PM

Are you happy working for your current job?

The rule of thumb that I was taught is that if you are not happy with your current job, and you don't have any major debts (IE: Student loans), then go ahead and leave the company. Remember though, the new job may not consider you at the same level you are now with your current company.

Personally, if the new job is farther away, adds more stress on me, and increases my commute, I'd turn down the higher offer unless I knew that my current company was going under, or I had no other choice. Sure, the extra money would be great to help with my loans, but I'd be working for money instead of working because I want to work.

My vote: Stay with the current company.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 12:08 AM
Guys - thanks so much for taking the time to give me your thoughts on it - really appreciated

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 01:47 AM
I'm with those that believe that the money, extra stress and travelling aren't worth it. It's your life though and your decision. Good luck!

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 06:13 AM
I will give you some valuable advice having been through similar circumstances recently, time off and less responsibility will lead to happy times. Extra money is rapidly spent and you adjust to the extra spend quickly but the stresses aren't worth the hassles.

top topics