It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Finland Instructs Nearly a Million Military Reservists

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 02:19 AM
link   
a reply to: stumason

Nothing to worry. Helsinki is one of the few capitals in Europe, which has never been occupied by enemy forces. An interesting fact.

Reminding able men of Finland of what to do when call is made for arms, is just to assure, there is a reasonably large army of pickets and blades waiting any bugger from the wrong side of the eastern border who might have aspiration of changing that fact.

stuff in wikipedia on Finns at WW2
edit on 23-5-2015 by deckdel because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 02:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Finland was always sucked into wars. That's why my grandfather left there, Finland was a ping pong ball, getting tossed back and forth.

When "sucked in", do you mean being attacked! After all, it was Russia who attempted to invade Finland on 30 November 1939.

Finland and the Baltic states, plus Poland and other nations in eastern Europe have a history of significant mistreatment by Russia. If Russia wants to improve relations then they need to change their Public Relations department, methinks.

originally posted by: aboutface
I always thought Finland remained a close ally of Russia's too, although they may have been feeling a trifle isolated from Europe as a result.

Er, no. Finland relationship with Russia has - through time - been all about invasion and brutality. The Russians don't seem to be able to cope with successful nations on their borders. It makes them look like they are failing, which of course they are. In 2013 their was a massive Russian spying scandal, for example.

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 02:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

Maybe they're going to invade Russia??

Winter War II?

That is quite far fetched.. its a known fact that Russia started Winter War. Google false flag of Mainila shelling.

originally posted by: theabsolutetruth

Probably just tactical directives from NATO.

Not really, these kind of letters to reservists were common earlier and it is an old procedure that has been taken back, there few years since letter like this was last sent so two years ago they made decision that reservist need to be remembered.. never heard customer service? Reason is similar to reservists to know that they are not forgotten.

So let me be clear as my hubby´s desk next to mine actually have this letter, there is nothing actually which says or even resembles that Finland is preparing to war. In general this letter only says what unit he will serve and no location. it is very general letter and something like that if it had come from some marketing company you would just trash.
There has been changes in defence forces of Finland, some of the units has shut down and fused with other units etc.. so letter which says what is your unit is actually right way to do it to avoid confusion IF something happens.

edit on 23-5-2015 by dollukka because: add

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 02:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: stumason
a reply to: aboutface

Finland was only ever "loosely" allied to Russia owing to the invasion and subsequent "Finlandisation" of them by the Soviet Union. If you had that big bugger on your doorstep, you'd at least pay them lip service when they told you what to do and they didn't have the luxury of joining NATO.

But recently, Russia has been playing the bully again - flights by bombers, incursions by submarines and even threats to "not join NATO, or else" being made. You can hardly blame them for taking measures to defend themselves and they are very much a European country (EU and Eurozone member) nowadays and want little do with Russia.

Finland was only ever "loosely" allied to Russia owing to the invasion and subsequent "Finlandisation" of them by the Soviet Union.

And from where do you draw these nonexistent " facts" ? Because Findland also gave the Soviet union territory that the finish army occupied at the end of the Winter War.

If you had that big bugger on your doorstep, you'd at least pay them lip service when they told you what to do

Again a completely inaccurate statement. One of the largest reasons that the winter war ended was Finland's decision to enter with Germany and the axis powers. Plus the finish soldiers are some badasses they bow to know one.

But recently, Russia has been playing the bully again - flights by bombers, incursions by submarines and even threats to "not join NATO, or else" being made. You can hardly blame them for taking measures to defend themselves and they are very much a European country (EU and Eurozone member) nowadays and want little do with Russia.

Once again as usual a completely inaccurate statement. Finland in modern times has never wanted anything to do with Russia or the Soviet Union. They have 4 wars under their belt. Three of them were against Russia. You should really study history before you state inccurate facts.
edit on 23-5-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 02:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: stumason

Finland has sent letters to nearly a million reservists to collect their contact details and remind them of their duties in case of combat, a defence ministry spokesman said.

He insisted that the correspondence was not related to Russia's annexation of Crimea or recent fighting in Ukraine.

yea .. but we all know that, that is exactly what its about. They just don't want to alarm the public.

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 03:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Greathouse

And from where do you draw these nonexistent " facts" ? Because Findland also gave the Soviet union territory that the finish army occupied at the end of the Winter War.

Once again as usual a completely inaccurate statement. Finland in modern times has never wanted anything to do with Russia or the Soviet Union. They have 4 wars under their belt. Three of them were against Russia. You should really study history before you state inccurate facts.

To first one of your quotes.. Finland gave some of its land it owned and inhabited in peace treaty, which lead to evacuation of Karelia areas ( finnish inhabitants )... Your words finnish army occupied is wrong.. shamely wrong

To second quote, Finland actually has always been open to have good relations with Russia even that we have had wars with them ( Soviet Union ) good relations have been benefical to our economy due the trade. We are neighbors after all. But would we let Russia to occupy our land.. NO.. Would you let that happen to your country ?

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 03:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Azureblue

Letter decision was made two years ago before Ukraine incident. There has been changes in our defence force many units has been shut down and fused with others, to give reservist a knowledge what they unit actually is nowadays has it base to preserve ability to contain our defence.. there is nothing here really.

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 03:10 AM
link   
a reply to: dollukka

I'll start with you addressing the second quote. I was refuting the claim that Finland was afraid of Russia and the Soviet Union. I know you do not agree with this the finish like you are proud people.

Now to address my first statement about Findland giving up territory that they occupied.

inland also had to cede a part of the region of Salla, the Kalastajansaarento peninsula in the Barents Sea, and four islands in the Gulf of Finland. The Hanko Peninsula was leased to the Soviet Union as a military base for 30 years. The region of Petsamo, captured by the Red Army during the war, was ret

only reason I go to wiki is because it's easiest. If you would like other sources I can supply them

I think you only focused on the border dispute not the actual peace treaty. That is easily understandable because most people including fellow finlanders like you make that mistake.

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 03:13 AM
link   

There is sooooo much propaganda and corruption, going on in finland,,,

Saatanan jari aarnio, ei ihme et pilvi ei ikinä tuu lailliseks täälä ku noi kytät ja poliitikot jo myy sitä pimeesti bandiittien ja muiden välityksellä, kusipäät!

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 03:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse

Oh you ment those places which Finland leased to Russia in peace treaty. Saying finnish army occupied was misleading.

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 03:20 AM
link   
a reply to: solve

That was so "mature" and out of context ! One crooked cop does not make all cops bad and what comes to propaganda and corruption statistics say different ! Medical Marihuana is legal in Finland and it is matter of opinion should it be legal to everyone..

And by the way TOS says we need to write in english.
edit on 23-5-2015 by dollukka because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 03:31 AM
link   

In truth, and as is historically recorded, the Soviets and Nazi Germany entered into a secret deal to divvy up eastern Europe, as part of the Molotov–Ribbentrop Pact. The invasion of the “German” part of Poland which ignited WW2, was followed by the Soviet invasion of “their” part of Poland, the forcing of the Baltic States to accede to Soviet occupation and the Soviet attack on Finland following their refusal to cede territory.

Although Russia was a victim of later Nazi aggression, many Soviet neighbours were a victim of Soviet aggression prior to that. The Soviets were far from peaceful as oft portrayed by the “Soviet were the victims” lobby.

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 03:32 AM
link   

I guess? I will bow to your opinion because you live there and your cool I like you. The word used at wiki was ceaded not leased.

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 03:34 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

In truth, and as is historically recorded, the Soviets and Nazi Germany entered into a secret deal to divvy up eastern Europe, as part of the Molotov–Ribbentrop Pact.

Yup, I am a huge history buff and my favorite subject is World War II. I was well aware of those facts but thank you for reiterating them.

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Yes those areas was leased for SU for 30 years in peace treaty, in Hanko area alone 8000 people lost their homes because of that.

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 03:43 AM
link   

Come on, Finland become independent country only about 100 years ago. Before you were occupied by Swedes (Ruotsi) in your language and Rus ( by the way your language kinda proving Scandinavian hypothesis of Old Rus/Norse Kievan Rus ruling)
So, your country was occupied by Swedes and by Rus (which were occupied by Swedes before lol)

Also, Helsinki was never occupied because it was of no particular significance for most of the history, it was a small village that no one was so eager to plunder.

Yes, during the time Finland was part of Russian Empire in fact Grand duchy of Finland was the most independent part of said Empire. If i remember correct they even had their own parliament and were not obliged to normal Russian laws of conscripting. Russification policy was also very mild, I think Finns suffered more under Sweden. Your Kalevala was written with Russian Empire rule, only in 19-th century. So, why not before , if you were so free with Swedish rule ?

edit on 23-5-2015 by kitzik because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 03:50 AM
link   

Thank you for that information. But I still would like to make my position clear. Findland was in possession of those islands before they were ceaded to Soviet Union in a peace treaty to conclude the Winter War correct?

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 03:56 AM
link   
a reply to: kitzik

What is your point ? Are you trying to say that those other two has some kind of rights to occupy Finland? Maybe you are lacking some facts from history and demographics. Are we russians ? -NO, Are we Swedish ? - NO
During swedish era we were buffer zone between Sweden and Russia and vice versa. Under Swedish rule the soldiers which actually fought under Swedish crown were finnish, it was part of feudal system at the time, under Russian rule which was much shorter Finland had self-determination.
Helsinki was never occupied because Finns outplayed Russians. They set lights outside the city and lights were turned off inside the city so Russians bombed wrong places. There were some heavy bombing in Helsinki tho but it was never taken.
What is your goal ?

originally posted by: kitzik

Your Kalevala was written with Russian Empire rule, only in 19-th century. So, why not before , if you were so free with Swedish rule ?

Because Elias Lönnrot who gathered the texts and runes lived at that time.
edit on 23-5-2015 by dollukka because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Those areas were part of Finland and leased to SU in Moscow peace treaty.

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 04:02 AM
link   

Oh just one cop? and statistics, really? yeah sure...

Oh no propaganda in finland? only north korea and russia produces propaganda, right?

i hate the basic finnish mindset- Obey-Sleep-Work-obey, and not in this country, we are slaves to multinational corporations,
and we have lost our independence, the day we gave up our own currency, there is nothing left in here,nothing to fight for, this country is a joke.

Why do you think there are biker gangs in every city in here? we all know that they run the show, when it comes to-

Drugs
Weapons
Human Trafficking

And in so many occasions, they have worked with the police and politicians, and they have been caught many times,
but they just sweep it under the rug, again and again.

And this whole nato and reserve thing is propaganda, i am sorry but that`s the way she goes.

(sorry for ranting i am just so disappointed)

new topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join