It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

6.8 mag earthquake hit Solomon islands

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Just breaking news now. The Solomon Islands have been hit by a 6.8 mag earthquake. This is the 2nd 6.8 in 2 days. I'm no expert but this is a lot of activity for one area.

I will update when get word of any tsunami threat or damage.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 05:47 PM
link   
interesting.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 05:53 PM
link   
a reply to: liteonit6969

Initial reports seem to suggest no tsunami threat and no damage. As state in the link it's the 3rd 6.0 or higher to hit in the last 3 days.

Is this normal or unusual?

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 06:28 PM
link   
This area experiences a lot of 4+ earthquakes so it isn't uncommon to see medium to strong earthquakes here. As to the frequency of these events I am not sure. I don't have the time to look at the numbers but if someone wants to this should help:

Usgs Earthquake Search

You can select a boxed area and then set date, strength and depth parameters. Have fun.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I just checked the RSOE -EDIS website . There are more > 4 magnitudes around the Pacific Ocean and in the US than I have seen since I found out about the site 10 years ago. This may be a long weekend (I hope not)

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 07:26 PM
link   
hmmmm Thats another one. A 6.8 just occurred

Quakes above 5 Solomon Region

Will be keeping an eye on this. Interesting.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 07:37 PM
link   
a reply to: randomspecific

Yeah, I just saw the 2nd 6.8.

Kind of odd...
Watching it myself.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 08:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Darkblade71

Another 5.4 quake just came in. I have no experience on how frequent/infrequent moderate - large quakes occur in this area so it would be good to get the opinions of those more knowledgeable than me.

Repeated my previous search but dropped the minimum magnitude down to 4. Start date/time 22nd/00:00 End 23rd/23:59

Quakes Above 4 Solomon Region

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 08:47 PM
link   
a reply to: randomspecific

Yes just seen that myself. Swarm activity around the area. I don't think I've seen anything as active like this.

The second earthquake hasn't been reported on the media yet so yet to find if any damage.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 09:07 PM
link   
We had a 4.0 in south east England early hours yesterday...

Lots of satirical pictures of ... Fallen bins... And deck chairs... on twitter, according to news...

Is the earth is more geologically active than usual at the moment?

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I remember the Soloman Islands being really active a few years ago, but I can't remember the last time they had a 6.8 and 6.9 so close together in time.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 09:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: phoenixlights321
I remember the Soloman Islands being really active a few years ago, but I can't remember the last time they had a 6.8 and 6.9 so close together in time.

Ask TrueAmerican, he nailed a prediction based on activity uptick for the big Santa Cruz quake in the area. I think there were multiple closely spaced high 6's at the time, and that was what caught his attention.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 10:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

lol, yeah I remember that. These big 6.8 and 6.9 quakes are only about 150 km or so from where that 8.0 hit in the Santa Cruz Islands. So these could be considered on that same subduction zone fault. It is by no means some magic predicting mechanism, because it fails too. But whenever you have multiple 6+'s in the same area, especially within .1 magnitude of each other, I believe the possibility of them being foreshocks is increased. These are showing aftershocks though, so that might be it. On the other hand, the 7.2 that hit Japan as a foreshock prior to the 9.0 also had its own set of aftershocks. At the time that's what it looked like: just a 7.2 with the usual aftershocks... But then... WHAM. 9.0 a couple days later.

When it comes to the earth, there is just no telling WHAT she's gonna do. All we can do is be more cautious, and lookout.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 03:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: funkadeliaaaa
We had a 4.0 in south east England early hours yesterday...

Lots of satirical pictures of ... Fallen bins... And deck chairs... on twitter, according to news...

Is the earth is more geologically active than usual at the moment?
when we had that 5. Whatever in Virginia a couple of years back someone posted a pic of a knocked over lawn chair with the proclamation underneath
WE WILL REBUILD !
edit on 5252015 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 04:47 AM
link   
a reply to: liteonit6969

I hope none were hurt.

top topics

join