It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

some strange text message i got, clrification needed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Hello people!
So i didn't know where to put this, mods move it if needed.
This is not a conspiracy but more of a "wtf" type thing.
So, when it comes to personal information about me, i am relatively cautious, the standard stuff really, i have a "trash" email address i use for signing up on websites, and i never put my cellphone number on any type of registration form, nothing special but i just do the basic things people should do to guard themselves.

But, in full contradiction, i will give some info away so maybe someone can help me understand how this is possible:
I've been living in the czech republic for about 5 years, less than a week go my parents came to visit, and among other places, i took them to a city called Karlovy Vary, an absolutely beautiful city bout 2 hours from prague.
Anyway, today at 11.30 am i get a text message, and since i still don't speak czech, i used google translate.
It's a text proposing a 15% discount if i use a real estate agency for student houses...in karlovy vary.
At no point have i ever subscribed to any website for houses in the city i live in or there, and i am not a student.
So can anyone tell me how this is possible? how the hell did they collect my cell number and sent me this text?
Of course the sim card just won a fantastic vacation down my toilet, but i would like to know if anyone has had similar experiences.

here is the website, just in case:
dmkv.cz...

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: IShotMyLastMuse

If you use any social media of any kind...it does not matter how anonymous you think you are they can find information and sell it to various places. My advice would be to not open any text or email that you do not recognize or seems to good to be true.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Do Not lose your cool...most likely it was a random text, sent from computer generated dialers, I get some of the strangest stuff and never enter any data anywhere possible. I get texts meant for others, or texts looking for a victim of scam. I would not worry, but scammers are tricky and tech savvy...you be ok....

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Someone sold your contact in. Happens all the time. There is big money in selling bulk information these days.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Yes, social media and even google maps collates data on location, which can later be used for targeted advertising. Don't worry that it is some kind of evil phone hack, I think it is really just a question of the network selling on user data to certain companies.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 04:26 PM
link   

I have the home number of a friend of mine memorized. For the last 15 years I have given his number whenever I am asked for a phone number in a store.

I still haven't told him I take too much delight in watching him complain about all the telemarketers that call him.

So maybe a friend is playing a joke on you?

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 04:27 PM
link   

A location tracker on your phone ? even when you think it is switched off it is still on

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Jonjonj

well i figure it's nothing serious but it is irritating as hell, since at most 10 people have my phone number, and i sure as hell don't use it when i register on websites, it's surprising to me because this is the first time i see such a thing since i have been here :/

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse

eheh they are not the types thankfully, they are too lazy for it

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Yes, I understand. I get cold calls at the most inopportune moments here in the UK. Telling me I have a good claim for an accident I was never in lol.

If your phone is android of course, that just makes things worse. I used android and it really is just a tracker with phone call options!

You have to laugh really.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 04:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Jonjonj

yes like said, i am not in a panic, more than anything i am irritated, i am using a phone older than sliced bread just to avoid all the nonsense, i have a modern tablet if i need advanced features, but my cell phone is still with windows mobile 6

just amazing how easy your info is put out there :/

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Or someone who knows your number has Facebook on their Smartphone.

Facebook peeks in the Contacts and pictures. And texts.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Is someone angry with you? Typing in another persons number for ads was my favorite get back action for years.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Dunno, just recently i bought a Galaxy Tab 4, i flew from the UK to Poland recently and started getting messages from Polish businesses, i looked at the Tab 4 history earlier on this week, Google had tracked my every move on every day, even though the Tab 4 was switched off!!!, never used during my trip, it knew where i was and when

Guess we are now Orwellian

Cheers

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I use a throwaway pay as I go...

I suppose opening the text meant that you paid for the message?

I learned the hard way too.

Seems only a few cents, but I didn't ask to be charged for advertising spam...

it is unethical to text advertisements to go plan phones that deduct from account each message read, solicited or not...unless the carrier texts you and thereby cost nothing...

My complaint is the end user paying the advertising costs,
kinda like auto insurers taking up most of the advertising schedule...

Where are they getting all the money to fund these advertisements? From the end user. that means your sky high premium pays for their advertising, not your policy like they lead everyone to believe.

edit on (5/22/1515 by loveguy because: Your reason for the edit (must be filled out)

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 09:32 PM
link   

You are never really as "secret-off-the-radar" as much as you think.

1. You use a throwaway email, but it has a location to and from.
2. You use the net and phone lines traceable back to your coded computer I.D and I.S.P.....even without your name.
3. Most everything is tracked, info passed around from where it came, where it was going and when it was, to who and from a I.P. address.
4. Cell phones come from somewhere(you-even without your name), go to a tower or satellite, and go to and from a final destination.

So...dummy I.D. email, phones numbers, web usage...all recorded somewhere...and all those weird texts...can get there because along the way...somebody somewhere...some station or tower...has to pass you all the lines we use...and people and companies get access to that info.

No matter how careful...we all still use the "systems facilities" to web, talk, text etc.

My I.T. guy at work reminds me that even if you use some proxy or encrypted or coded communication...it still shows up as someone...using a proxy, encoded encrypted transmission...even without your name...because where it originated from and how it passes through the systems...at least...that's known.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 05:54 PM
link   

If it's anything like here, they probably use random number generators, and send out en masse. Best bet, delete it, and don't open any like that in the future.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Possibly because someone has had your number before, and they put the number out there at some point. Has happened to me plenty of times. Last time I got a new phone number, I received a phone call from a probation officer looking for someone :/

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 06:35 PM
link   
facebook plug in on websites. if you see facebook faces in a text box anywhere on the page, then it means they have a record of the website you visited.

my advice is log out of facebook every session and keep your cookies clean - job done

top topics

join