It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Money Trail: Big Pharma

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Seems like a American problem. Pharmaseutical industry does make money here (Finland) aswell but their actions are thorougly monitored and even they do market their stuff to doctors, they (doctors) have obligation to offer cheapest possible medication to patient. And plus that, government pays either 35%, 65% or 100% of the medication depending the situation of patient.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 05:11 AM
link   
It never made sense to me to allow direct-to-consumer advertising for prescription medicines. In Europe thats not allowed.

The issue is not solely attributable to "Big Pharma". Consumers believe there is a pill for everything (underlying reason cannot be put to Big Pharma alone), and expect, when they enter a doctors office, that they leave with at least one prescription. Doctors treat their patients as costumers, so if the patient expect a prescription, he receives it. Big Pharma only thinking about their profit, providing unbalanced information to the health care professional, making it hard for that doctor to do a proper risk-benefit assesment of a particular drug.

The Pharmaceutical industry is already heavily regulated, from R&D to the production, distribution and selling of medicines, to promotion to health care professionals and patients. And the regulations are getting strickter, a trend that has started 10 years ago. Which only makes sense, people tend to forget medicinal drugs are not like candy.

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 04:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Pastor

There's no government paying the medication instead of you. If you are forced to have a mandatory health insurance
then it's you paying all kinds of overprized stuff and all kinds of overprized doctors. It became a one big medicine monopoly. This is your government.

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 06:15 AM
link   
a reply to: PapagiorgioCZ
I am sure Pastor can correct me if I am wrong but I believe the Finnish system is state provided. Not mandatory private provision.

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 02:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pastor
Seems like a American problem. Pharmaseutical industry does make money here (Finland) aswell but their actions are thorougly monitored and even they do market their stuff to doctors, they (doctors) have obligation to offer cheapest possible medication to patient. And plus that, government pays either 35%, 65% or 100% of the medication depending the situation of patient.

That's how it is in France too.
The government has little interest in allowing them to make bigger and bigger profits and deceiving the people.

posted on May, 28 2015 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: PapagiorgioCZ
a reply to: Pastor

There's no government paying the medication instead of you. If you are forced to have a mandatory health insurance
then it's you paying all kinds of overprized stuff and all kinds of overprized doctors. It became a one big medicine monopoly. This is your government.

I think you are referring to the USA, no?

posted on May, 30 2015 @ 08:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluesma
Maybe in a way.
US system is the best untill you are poor and ill. The point here is that if the government pays everything the Big Pharma still gets your money you paid as taxes. How is that free of charge?
I barely know how my doctor looks like or if he's still alive and I'm still forced to pay a lot every month. I can't live off the grid in my country due to the necessity of earning money. If I ever get sick I know their drugs won't help me because they are designed to mask symptoms. Everytime I wen't to doctor with some serious suspected disease I've only got the cheapest or no examination at all.
I've read that maybe as much as 90% of world population has Borrelia and up to half of the world's human population is estimated to carry a Toxoplasma infection. And they won't make you any test untill you are dying because it would be too expansive to cure everyone.
edit on 30/5/2015 by PapagiorgioCZ because: Your reason for the edit (must be filled out): grammmar

edit on 30/5/2015 by PapagiorgioCZ because: (must be filled out):

posted on Jun, 1 2015 @ 09:54 AM
link   
*expensive of course
but less expensive than treating symptoms as other diseases

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 06:31 AM
link   

a reply to: Bluesma
Maybe in a way.
US system is the best untill you are poor and ill. The point here is that if the government pays everything the Big Pharma still gets your money you paid as taxes. How is that free of charge?

I said nothing about free- the europeans don't refer to their healthcare as "free"- that is usually american terminology applied to it.

I just meant that there is not "mandatory health insurance" anyone is forced to have. There is social security available, but not mandatory. There are private insurance and mutuals (non-profit), that you can choose if you want, or you can go without any at all. I thought you were making a reference to the Obamacare thing.

Because the people here consider that they pay for that social security (whether they personally choose to use it or not) they reserve the right to have some power in limiting what the care providers and pharmaceuticals can and cannot do, and how much they charge.
The companies are not free to do as they wish. That will make the free capitalism fans rage- but from what I've seen, it isn't a bad idea for the people to protect themselves from predators.
The fact that everyone pays into the social security (whether they use it or not) causes a higher sense of solidarity (one of the reasons the french are known for being so effective at organized protest). Because in the us, if a company is ripping off your neighbor, you can just say, too bad, it's not my problem, not my money. He's an idiot and it's his own fault". Here it is YOUR money being ripped off, so you feel implicated in each others problems, and not willing to just let others be preyed upon.

edit on 2-6-2015 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2015 @ 07:28 AM
link   

I've read that maybe as much as 90% of world population has Borrelia and up to half of the world's human population is estimated to carry a Toxoplasma infection. And they won't make you any test untill you are dying because it would be too expansive to cure everyone.

Infection? Are you sure of that? From what I know, the percentage of seropositivity for Toxoplasmosis is that high- meaning they have had an infection at some point in their life and so have an immunity to reinfection. It means they have developed antibodies to it.

The infection itself is self limiting and in 80% of cases, without symptom, so catching it during the infection stage is tricky.

But because of the danger during pregnancy or immune-depressed people, I know that in this country, (France, considered to have the highest rate of toxoplasmosis seropositivity ) they consider that it is best for people to become infected early in life, so that there is no risk later if they become pregnant or get AIDs or something.
I know when I was pregnant here, I asked my obstretician one day why she wasn't having me tested for it while pregnant- her eyes grew wide and she said, "Why? Do you have reason to believe you do haven"t been immunized?"
They consider it much like chicken pox, in which parents rush to get their kids to play with ones that have it to get it out of the way early.

I would be more suspicious of pharmaceutical companies claiming it is a big danger and that a treatment exists for seropositivity (there isn't). There is only a treatment for the infection which is, like I said, short lived and usually asymptomatic.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join