It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

The Money Trail: Big Pharma

page: 1
<<   2 >>

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 04:04 PM
This week I'll take you down the Big Pharma money trail. The pharmaceutical industry spends more money on marketing than it does on research and development. Guess which group of people it markets to most? Tune in to this brand new episode of Off the Grid to find out just how much money physicians get paid to push prescriptions down our throats.

Will you #StayVigilant and check the Open Payments database the next time you go to the doctor? Let me know.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 04:09 PM
a reply to: JesseVentura

Legally prescribed Pharma is the 4th leading cause of death in the UK and US.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 04:12 PM

What struck me most significantly was your opening statement. Big Pharma is drug pushers, One thing I noticed that I haven't seen brought up much. Is the heroin epidemic and it's relationship to the OxyContin epidemic.

Big Pharma hooked a large percentage of the population on opiates with OxyContin. Then it was reformulated to where people could not use it as easily and they all switched to heroin.

Purdue Pharma, corporate executives should be in prisoned for that.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 04:20 PM

Many physicians get trips, tech devices, luxury spa vacations, money, jewelry, etc. by big Pharma. They meet for "drug dinners" in places like the Marriott in San Diego near Seaport Village and gift ccomplimentary rooms, companions * ahem * booze, golfing at Torrey Pines...and it just goes on and on...

The doctors then push their products in form of "samples" to their patients and some physicians will use those samples for resale, which is prohibited. My ex Opthomologist charged me $40 for a sample of tea tree oil wipes.

They are part of the problem and not the cure...

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 04:30 PM
tell you what. I go to the doc and leave with minimum 6 prescriptions from cholesterol to muscle relaxers and I go in for a thyroid blood test :-(

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 06:35 PM

Its a real worry, one in four deaths attributable to prescribed drugs?. That statistic alone means that if their were no doctors prescribing medicine, then the overall death rate would go down, much as it did back in the day the Doctors went on strike in California . When I was a student the tutor said if you have a disease look for the simplest cause first, as 90% per cent of the time, that will be what is causing it. Very few doctors will just tell you to balance your diet , because they assume very few patients could be stuffed in changing it. So the short term fix, is their pills, but they will kill you in the end, because they are just masking the symptoms, and its only the symptoms, that tell you, that have something wrong that needs attending to.

Diet will never be addressed, because it will cause a drop in disease of somewhere in the 70% range. As its all a business model, this would be suicidal for the big pharmaceutical companies, Health providers would go bust and a great adjustment to the economy would then ensue, where it leaves personal health within this "business model" is debatable. I just don't know how a society, can generate so much income, from its sick members, overall it has to be detrimental to society as a whole. I mean we seem to have a society on one hand promoting known unhealthy practices, and on the other hand generating massive amounts of money from treating it. Maybe that's what human society is all about. Does the sucker ever get an even break? The main killers are high blood pressure, heart disease and stroke , in the western worlds diet, it all comes from the overconsumption of Dairy, that's simplistic but the truth.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 06:39 PM
a reply to: InverseLookingGlass

Quick, everyone stop taking your medications!

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 06:56 PM
I like the way he handled that subject. You have to remember though, the Pharma companies did not pay for that, the cost of all of this is passed on to the people that take medicines.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 09:08 PM
Yeah, well, I'll bet 90% of the people who support this thread will make the explicit exception of vaccines - no, THEY'RE okay....we need them!
edit on 22-5-2015 by thebtheb because: Because I did not like the way it was.

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 01:23 AM
Ehh, i'll stop the video at the advertisement. Dont care for a video's with advertisement these days. And i don't care for doctors. Probly cuz i'm in my twenties. I've witnessed pills take a loved-one over. Mentally. It's hard to persuade a "druggie".

But, Jesse Ventura, what will you do about it? Or, what will you do about anything you post? I'm fed up with you, honestly.

You wield so much amount of power yet you do nothing. Yes, NOTHING.

Oh yeah, cool shirt Jesse. Stay current and stay frosty. Sell out.
edit on 23-5-2015 by southernplayalistic because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 07:09 AM
To get more people hooked, throw up a socialized medicine net. Now everyone has to have 'access' to big pharmaceutical. Heck, wasn't there just a post about someone getting a temporary banned from the socialized medicine system for NOT taking their PRESCRIBED 'medicine'

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 10:08 AM
Maybe the feedback they get from doctors is a cheaper form of research, Human guinea pigs and free samples. What a cost cutter.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 09:33 PM

originally posted by: southernplayalistic
Ehh, i'll stop the video at the advertisement. Dont care for a video's with advertisement these days. And i don't care for doctors. Probly cuz i'm in my twenties. I've witnessed pills take a loved-one over. Mentally. It's hard to persuade a "druggie".

But, Jesse Ventura, what will you do about it? Or, what will you do about anything you post? I'm fed up with you, honestly.

You wield so much amount of power yet you do nothing. Yes, NOTHING.

Oh yeah, cool shirt Jesse. Stay current and stay frosty. Sell out.

I think you are giving him waaaay too much credit personally.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 11:00 AM
reply to: JesseVentura

Ex pharma rep here. My very first post!

I am glad I am out. I must say that I wish I had done so sooner.

1st thing is that there are good drugs out there. Someone posted that if a person ate well, didn't smoke, and exercised, many of the top 10 drugs would not be "blockbuster" (over $1billion/yr). I agree. Drugs for COPD, hyperlipidemia, type2 diabetes, hypertension, heart disease, autoimmune diseases would be for those that had a genetic predisposition.

2nd thing is that, in my experience, the vast majority of docs prescribe what works, not what a drug rep wants them to write. There ARE docs that do write what their friends (drug reps) ask them to try, and write them despite them being much more expensive and/or marginally better/similar in efficacy.

One of my big criticism of the industry is that they are often unwilling to do head to head comparisons with usual therapy. Or, my favorite, is they change the endpoints in their clinical studies so that there is no way to even compare the endpoints from the competitors' studies (it is not ethical to compare the similar endpoints/results from separate studies anyway).

The drug industry often drives the creation of diagnoses, or at least makes a diagnosis sound like everyone has it. Have you seen the LOW-T commercials? I have all of those symptoms but not LOW-T.

I will say that some commercials can at least let a person know they may have a certain disorder, and be a benefit. Like herpes...or at least let a doctor know you are having a symptom that you might not have otherwise told them about. In my experience, many good docs will take a patient coming into the office asking for an expensive, advertised medicine, and treat them with an appropriate, cost effective treatment.

The big difference in the newer drugs is that they are taken less times/day and are more tolerable, less side effects. It used to be that a person with hypertension (HTN) would take a drug 4x/day and have bad side effects. They would stop taking the meds. Now, new HTN mess are taken 1x/day and have little to no known side effects. Compliance and efficacy go way up when a product works and doesn't make you feel crappy. There are now generics of these medicines making it affordable.

It used to be that we would take docs to speaker training meetings in the nicest places available. Bermuda, marina deal ray, south beach, mountain chalets, just to get them out there to sell THEM the drug,so we could pay them to sell to OTHER DOCS. Now, it is done via face time or Skype. But we did spend a great deal of money on these programs with marginal benefit to mankind.

My big problem is with the government that created an upside down nutrition guide...Americans eat WAY TOO MUCH carbohydrate. And what does the nutrition guide have at the bottom of the pyramid? What companies make/enhance these products? Archer Daniels Midland, Monsanto....and who benefits from this food pyramid? ADM, Monsanto, Pharma.

Pharma companies have created a "we have a pill/shot/inhaler/suppository for that" mentality. My uncle says he takes Lipitor so that he can eat prime rib. WHAT??? Just like obamacare, that doesn't provide any incentive to taking care of yourself, drug companies need you "hooked" on their medicines for them to be profitable. But we NEED them to be profitable to invest in the next generation of needed products.

While I have your attention, I would like to ask the question...have pharmaceuticals taken away the pain of life to the extent that we are becoming less human? Doesn't the human experience include our travels through difficult times? If we simply take an antidepressant, are we missing out on the triumph of overcoming adversity?

Just a thought.
edit on 25-5-2015 by Luv328ic because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 04:37 PM
a reply to: Luv328ic

And your very first star
Welcome to the jungle. It looks like the system is destined to behave in this way.
Hadn't we been told in the school "Don't use drugs!" ?
I use only herbs and Big Pharma still gets my money. How is that possible? The compulsory health insurance!

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 05:51 PM
a reply to: Luv328ic

You are right on reverse the food pyramid , and most health worries would diminish accordingly . Leaving ten per cent as genetically caused

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 06:01 PM
I'm going to get flamed for this maybe..

Jesse, love what your about, keep fighting to the good fight.

But you are a terrible presenter and spokesperson to get the word out, maybe why small amount of people are actually listening to you anymore.

Listening to an old fella, loud voice, sounds like a drill Sergeant, it's not easy to listen too. The pretty lady in the video, very professional, calm, states the facts and gives it straight.

Your starting to sound like Alex Jones a little bit, think JV needs a nice professional individual to get the message to the audience.

I had to say it finally, but I'm on your side Jesse. It's about presentation and how to connect with the audience, not shout at them and get pissed about what your presenting. Always appreciate you attempting to get the truth and information to the masses.

@video - following the money will only reveal true direction of society. Society is a systematic machine fueled by human energy. Those operating the system, are trying to keep the human fuel obedient, weak, numb and dumb, so they never stop feeding it.

Great message, the information was eye opening.

Thanks for all your work Jesse and those involved

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 08:42 PM

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 12:10 AM
a reply to: Elementalist

All the American programs, seem designed for the add breaks, and not for content. Because the majority of people that they are dealing with, are people with the attention span of a gnat, they repeat it all so many times, as it saves a great deal of production time. Most don't care or don't notice, that most of the time they are watching "a message from the sponsor" which is becoming mental torture. Then the British programmes which are always bought and then Americanised, because no one wants to take a risk on a dud over there, are always the best bet for informed content.

Then you get the maybes and the perhaps, and some guy saying it was a UFO, then another saying it was an image artefact. So the program caters for the believers and the sceptics at the same time, but only achieves mediocrity. Because somewhere in the last forty years, no body wants to take a chance. Its all so politically boring, and safe.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 12:36 AM
This subject is one I think is a good example to bring up in discussions on free market capitalism!

My husband used to work in big pharma. When he started twenty years ago, he was shocked and ashamed at the salaries they got, and the way they were asked to seduce doctors with gifts and trips. The simplest meeting was planned for them in some tropical place where they could include snorkeling in coral reefs as part of the agenda!

He was a bit naive then, fresh out of medical school, where he was still hearing in his ears the lessons about things like all medicines being also poisons- the only distinction happening in dosage. And that once a person is taking three different medicines, the effects become totally unpredictable.
And he was starting from the notion that he was part of the process of healing people.

With time he became really embittered with the industry and eventually jumped ship.

One thing that I have to say cooled him down for a while was restrictions and laws which were placed upon the companies very soon after he entered. They are not allowed to give gifts (not as much a pen or post it ), they are not allowed to pay for trips, give any monetary gifts or payments, or anything. They are limited in how much they can spend on their regional meetings and no longer leave the country or stay in fancy hotels. They are not allowed to have or give any samples. This is actually really well controlled.

A cousin of mine works for a big pharma company in the US, and she made it sound like they are being watched and controlled and have to be paranoid, but in contrast, it still looks to me like there is no regulation at all!

She still give gifts, and carries around a case full of free samples!!

I do not understand why the american people put up with this, and why it is still legal for these companies to do public advertising for drugs, creating new diseases and syndromes to propose for the public, so that they'll rush out and buy drugs. -For absolutely ridiculous prices! I am not sure most americans are aware that the exact same drugs, made by the same companies, are sold for much much less in other countries. Because the others won't fall for it.
edit on 26-5-2015 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>