It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religion and Gay Rights. A noted commentator changes his tune.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 10:13 AM
link   
a reply to: thefallenone

Well, the subject does come up now and then again. I think it's safe to say that almost all guys have thought about it at least once. Don't know why you find this so curious.. it's something most people are bound to think about in their life sooner or later. In fact, I really, really doubt you've never thought about it. This back and forth kind of sealed that I think.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 10:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheLaughingGod
They also seem awfully materialistic and superficial. Would you say that would be a fair assessment comparing averages between heterosexuals and homosexuals?

No! I usually avoid stereotyping people...

As far as anal sex goes, not all gay people do that. And plenty of straight couples do. Gay and anal sex are not synonymous. So, unless you think about anal sex with ALL the couples you know, there's really no reason to go there with gay couples.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: TheLaughingGod

It's true I never thought about it, like i said it never interested me. All I am saying is that it interests me as to why people who discuss gay people,they inevitably bring up the sex they are having.

Consider this, you also have issues with pedophiles, people who perform bestiality or some other fetish you find weird I assume . Do you think about having sex with children, animals or something weird and then the thought of it disgusts you or am I to presume it never crosses your mind. If it never crosses your mind then you will see where I am coming from.

Just for the record, I am not comparing pedo's or animal lovers to homosexuality. I am just trying to make a point that if it doesn't interest you, then thoughts of something should never cross your mind.
edit on 26-5-2015 by thefallenone because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

I find it useful to generalize at times. I generalise lions and wolves, I do it to groups of people too. Doesn't mean I'm not gonna judge them by their behaviour.

I think the modern trend of seeing generalisations as oppressive and dangerous is a tad overblown. It's a helpful and logical way to deal with people of all kinds. If I'm in Iran the people there will display certain stereotypes, same story in Texas. If I see a guy with a cowboy hat and hidden carry I'll probably put him down as a conservative. And if I see a guy at an art exhibition lisping and being all fabulous you know what I'll be thinking about him.

It's simply efficient and useful, it only becomes a problem when an individual gets stereotyped and put in a certain box despite showing all signs of not living up to a certain stereotype. It mustn't become a trap for people but we shouldn't be afraid to generalise if a certain group of people really do act in a certain way generally. It's a question of balance.

a reply to: thefallenone

How do you propose not thinking about it when such discussions inevitably comes up? I'm not actively going out of my way to think about it. If someone mentions it I'll think about it, if I see two men having sex on TV it'll probably cross my mind just like I'd think of Homer Simpson if I were watching the Simpsons. Isn't this obvious enough? I feel like you're being purposely obtuse here.

Honestly I don't see any merit in the discussion.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Can I be creeped out though? Am I allowed? Just seems.. uhm, nasty to me.

Gay sex? Sure you're allowed to creeped out. Creeps me out seeing two guys kiss, so I guess I'm just hard-wired that way. I'll concede a little societal nurture as well. Thing is...that's on me. That's ok...I won't let it make me an arse. I'm not partial to brussels sprouts either, but I don't let it challenge my day-to-day, nor pass judgement on others.

I found it interesting to learn...checking in with any thread participants that happen to be gay, here... that Gays apparently feel a natural aversion to what we call 'straight' sex. That made me think.
'Homophobia'...the Latin word for fear appears there. What is there to be afraid of, if it is not one's ability to juggle dogma and desire?
edit on 26-5-2015 by JohnnyCanuck because: added 'apparently' to my discussion ...who am I ti appropriate voice?

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyCanuck

Interesting anecdote, I hadn't thought of it from their perspective. Naturally I guess they too would feel an aversion.

Just saying, that's how I feel, seems you agree. I've got nothing against gays really. Don't really care about the debate, gays are as equal as anyone where I live as I see it.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Interesting anecdote, I hadn't thought of it from their perspective. Naturally I guess they too would feel an aversion.

Even that is probably an overgeneralisation. I'm guessing that sexual orientation often works on a sliding scale, and there's a lot of space between aversion and a simple lack of attraction.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Looking at anyone and thinking what their sex life is like - - - is creepy.

Who defines anyone by how and who they have sex with?

Unless you're a hooker and its your job.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Would make sense.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Oh so now the guy is not a loon? Once a loon always a loon mama always said.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join