It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Radioactive Silt Dries, Fine Radioactive Dust Enters Your Lungs.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 04:19 AM
link   
Science and technology in search of weapons grade plutonium brought us here.

www.magnoxsites.co.uk...

Women in Maldon are twice as likely to die from breast cancer than women in Burnham

www.essexcountystandard.co.uk...

Discharges from Bradwell to the Blackwater do not go away. The Blackwater is isolated from the north (the Colne) and the south (the Crouch) by extensive offshore drying sand and mud banks. So the radioactivity just sluices up and down and precipitates at slack water into the mud. The highest concentrations are at the head of tide, the town of Maldon which is at the western end of the estuary.

www.theecologist.org...

It's vitally important to support the genuine workers who are putting themselves at risk to render the Magnox sites safe.

We need better nuclear security. www.abovetopsecret.com...

I haven't got a good word for the slackers, spendthrifts and clever boys who come up with wacky ideas like the DCIC's. Groan.

Cue Busby bashing.
edit on 22 5 2015 by Kester because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 05:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Kester

S&F for you for a brilliant piece of information and food for thought. I did work in a power station albeit coal which kills well with chest problems due to the dust, not to mention asbestos, accidents etc etc - so I don't know what the answer is except we need very different technology still. There is now a new feeling among some people that we need the smaller devices to fit into our homes , but the government takes so much income from the power industy its unlikely to let its cronies and hidden purse providers loose their grip on energy control in the UK. Think how many directorships that industry offers politicians.

His research on breast cancer highlights one of the despicable things about government statistics, the idea of only looking for rare cancers rather than the common ones - to think we vote for these individuals to govern us! Thank you again for opening us information many of us wouldn't think to look for.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Kester

I live relatively near to Burnham and Maldon. Bradwell station is a concern for anyone living in Essex to be honest. Although this is the first I have heard of anything untoward about its day to day operations, and their measurable result on the surrounding population, I have always been quite worried about the potential damage that a serious accident could have.

Right across the river, named Blackwater, from the Magnox facility, is Mersea Island. This largely undeveloped community, and its attendant seasonal holiday residents, sit right across the river from any potential disaster. When you consider the conjunction point of Mersea Island, which sits between the River Blackwater, and the Colne Estuary, you realise just how much damage could be done by a release of radioactivity into the surrounding river water.

It does not bare thinking about really. But the notion that Maldon residents would be more at risk of breast cancer than those living in Burnham is a whole other kettle of depleted fissile material! Surely if that is the case, and the spokespersons from the site itself are saying that their control of their radioactive materials is WELL within tolerances set by government, then perhaps government need to get their fingers out and clamp down the numbers until the problem ceases to exist?

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 11:25 AM
link   
There have already been 1600 jobs losses as sites are being decommissioned. I wonder if these are related?

news.sky.com...

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Some of you may be interested in this informative link www.sxolsout.org.uk... I live near Hartlepool nuclear power station, i know how badly it was built, how it is the only nuclear powerstation to be in the centre of such a large conurbation it is plagued with faults and of course the local population cancer rates seem to have risen but its impossible to find acurate information on this. late 2013 its sea defences were almost breached and an army chinook helicopter was for days helping with repairs (source Private eye)

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 05:53 PM
link   
An interesting read, but has he eliminated any other causes for this apparent spike? Is there any link to the research itself, rather than a newspaper report?

a reply to: Shiloh7

Does the Government take any income from the Grid or various power suppliers? It seems to me that often the Government is the one ponying up the cash to get the stations built in the first place - I'm sure they would love to diversify the energy market away from the Big 6 if they could.

a reply to: astra001uk

An Army Chinook helicopter? That's a first!

Seriously though - you'd be surprised just how often the military is called in for such things. During the flooding in 2007 in Gloucestershire, we employed an RAF Chinook to drop a generator into a site of ours that was at serious risk of flooding and was impassable to almost all vehicles. Had it done so, most of the SW of England would have lost a significant chunk of it's comms and possibly it's power too.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: stumason

www.flickr.com...@N08/11260800634 this is a crap picture of the helicopter bringing in boulders as the road near the powerstation was washed away! as i am led to understand this was under the employ of the army from JHC joint helicopter command i know it was the army that was working with the environment agency this link www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk... describes it as a army then raf helicopter so i will take your advice and knowledge to which it really was/is

i know little reference was given in the local news about the power station probably so as not to disturb the locals

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: stumason
....serious risk of flooding and was impassable to almost all vehicles. Had it done so, most of the SW of England would have lost a significant chunk of it's comms and possibly it's power too.

Within inches of the top of the sandbags. All water and sewage was at risk of losing pumping power. The water was cut off for many. Within two hours bottled water had gone from the shelves of the supermarkets in small towns around Gloucester.

They worked hard piling up those bags. That was an achievement to be proud of.

I don't have a link offhand to Busby's work but I can assure you he's thorough and has been working on this subject for a long time.

new topics

top topics

join