It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Being "in love", is it a sublime experience, or a trap?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Early in my life, being in love seemed to be a wonderful experience, but it always led to bad feelings.

Why is that? Is it just because I wasn't ready for love, or is it because being in love is a spell set by others.

If you don't have a clue to what I am saying, then you should move on.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 12:59 AM
link   
It's because with age comes cynicism.

Sad, but true.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 01:18 AM
link   
a reply to: droid56

I live near Niagara falls, and when people come to visit from far and wide around the world they want to see the falls.
I think I've seen the falls so many times now I lost count, to me, it's just some water falling over the cliff, to those who came from say England it was an amazing sight.

I think initially falling in love is a thing, when you first kiss someone who you really like it's wonderful, but if that relationship ends that magic might never come back again, ever. And if it did, it would be rare.

But then again, the term falling in love is something you never expect, hence the term 'falling' you gotta take the chance.

In all truth and fairness tho, falling in love or the concept of love is made up by Hollywood really, real love is based on trust, sexual bonding, friendship, and communication. Literally your best friend who you find attractive really.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Love isn't a spell set by others. Everyone is ready for love.

Stop trying to find it--and let it find you.

Perhaps you need to figure out what you really want. Try being friends first. Get to know one another. Be yourself.

Do what you love doing--go to places that attract the right kind of people. (Like, for instance, a bar is a terrible place to try to find love.)

How old are you, if I might ask?

And what bad feelings? can you possibly elaborate further on your situation??

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 01:48 AM
link   
I've always found Schopenhauers take on love pretty compelling.

Love is only the species' will for survival, the need to propagate the species and it's detrimental to illusions and passing joys the human feels.

Basically love is nature's way to trick us into having kids. To me that explains a lot on how when young it seems so much stronger, and it even makes sense when you think how mysteroius love appears to be, it seemed to have bewildered men(as in humans, not actually guys) since the dawn of time.

Love is crazy, and makes no sense at all.
edit on 22 5 15 by payta because: spelling

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Great, if it's reciprocated. Pain in the ass, if it's not.

Usually, it's not.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 03:18 AM
link   
Love is like a drug. It's great at first, but you spend the rest of your life trying to recreate that first "high". Eventually it destroys your life and leaves you broke, alone and unemployed.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 03:29 AM
link   

** think of Life Energy in quantitative terms, exactly like Money. you are born with (say) 1000 units of Life to spend, BUT UNFORTUNATELY you are also born with varying amounts of IGNORANCE and INNOCENCE about HOW to wisely spend it.... can you work the rest out ? ....... try, its easy ......

** since you are also born into a Chaotic Society governed by Criminal IDIOT humans, and contaminated by Religions governed by criminal IDIOT alien "gods", you may also Unfortunately spend a LOT of time running round the world trying to work out what is going on .

** if you want to survive in THIS world, you must put aquisition of MONEY FIRST. if you want to go to a "heaven" governed by Gibberish Spreading butcher "gods" , then you can waste time thinking about Grovelling to Aliens "in the sky".

** as for "Falling" in Love. a young person having their first Orgasm of either genital or Mental or Emotional type, the tendancy is to NOT REALISE you are spending a chunk of your FINITE reserves, and you LITERALLY do "Fall" into Reckless over-spending, and LOOSE some of your PERSPICACITY (mind /act silly) thinking that experiences like that (including drug and religious highs) could ever lead to a State of "permanent" happiness on Earth - as YOU IMAGINE "super-rich" people have. but remember your reserves are FINITE - just like your Savings in the Satanic Bank of Bernanke (SBB), and even those super-rich people still often DIE IN MISERY for some OTHER reasons, like diseases and GUILTY CONSCIENCES for all the poverty and Suffering they Caused.

** SO, can you work out the rest ? ...... as you get older you realise these things and do NOT "fall" so easily...

** Pull your emotions in TIGHTLY, only release a portion of them in Situations you feel will be beneficial to you. DO NOT trust ANYONE beyond your CALCULATIONS. the ones who can hurt you the most, are the ones you THOUGHT you could trust. maybe your Mother is the LAST person you thought would hurt you, BUT (but) if unhappily she ever does, then it will hurt you the MOST, simply because you never expected / allowed for it....... likewise NEVER trust "christ" since even he got tricked by his own evil "father" (replacement for the original devils), and in that sense jesus was Morally BETTER than "him", but also ignorant to ever teach people to "pray" = try talking to ghosts. BE SCIENTIFIC test everything, and use the Cash-Up-Front attitude ESPECIALLY with people who prefer to give "promises" (the gods being most Treacherous of all "Promisers").

** but the above is Zenistic Existentialism NOT materialistic Cynicism, since THERE IS a lot of good in the world, in people, (also in the "atmosphere" of a Spring Day - just dont get deceived by this). Concentrate on finding goodness in other HUMANS and exchanging with them IN YOUR OWN NAMES, NOT (not) "in the name" of any self-Praising Butcher hebrew....

---------------------------------------------

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 04:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: droid56
Early in my life, being in love seemed to be a wonderful experience, but it always led to bad feelings.

Why is that? Is it just because I wasn't ready for love, or is it because being in love is a spell set by others.

If you don't have a clue to what I am saying, then you should move on.

It's because it wasn't true love but infatuation.

True love is something that takes time and gets better with time. Just the opposite of infatuation

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 05:02 AM
link   
The younger the couple the more they confuse:

Love at first sight

with

Lust at first light

When (most) people grow up and are not openly looking for a relationship they normally find the "love of their life" this has happened to me, but as both my partner and I know, there is so much more to love then just that "feeling", compromise is up there at the top, without it then the relationship is doomed to fail. Trust is the second biggest thing (or tied for first). If you can accept someone in your life at their worst where most would turn away then it is love be it of a partner or family / friend. Many levels of it makes life harder to understand but the worst part of love is someone saying they love you and you reply the same... without actually feeling it.

Because that is not love people, that is a lie!

Another reply which started off normally and went into a mad mans ramble, sorry

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 08:25 AM
link   
I remember those feelings of "being in love".
The chemical reaction in one's brain that is triggered by lust, infatuation, hormones, mutual attraction. It can be like a drug, I agree. My S.O. and I had this for years, now that we are older and have developed more of a bond based on friendship and common goals, that "feeling" doesn't consume us as it once did.
There aren't "bad" feelings really just "different" feelings.
We are both realists and have talked about "If we ever split up". I would want to remain his friend, I like him.
I would choose to spend that time on myself (assuming the children were grown and gone), traveling, learning, meeting new people but, certainly wouldn't want to be in a permanent relationship again. Although those things can sneak up on you.
If we were to "break up" or split up due to some broken trust or betrayal, the good feelings that I have would change somewhat but, I would still like him and would hope I could forgive him if there was ever a momentary lapse of reason or poor judgement (momentarily) or weakness...

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 11:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: payta
I've always found Schopenhauers take on love pretty compelling.

Love is only the species' will for survival, the need to propagate the species and it's detrimental to illusions and passing joys the human feels.

Basically love is nature's way to trick us into having kids. To me that explains a lot on how when young it seems so much stronger, and it even makes sense when you think how mysteroius love appears to be, it seemed to have bewildered men(as in humans, not actually guys) since the dawn of time.

Love is crazy, and makes no sense at all.

I have to agree.

There is an image that has stuck with me every since I first saw it. It was a documentary about spiders. It showed a small male spider approaching a much larger female. He strums the web, and cautiously approaches the female. He carefully (and futily) binds her legs with webbing, then starts to get down to business. Suddenly, there is a flurry of activity. The next thing you see is the male spider sitting in the corner of the web, staring at the female. The female is in the center of the web, causally munching on one of the male's legs. And this guy goes back and tries again!

If that poor little spider had enough brain-power to override his natural instincts, his species would be doomed. Same for us.

And I must say I'm surprised that no one has posted an Admiral Ackbar picture in this thread yet.

top topics

join