It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Family Research Council Exec Resigns After Confessing to Child Molestation

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Is it normal to want to fondle and have sex with a sibling? Boy, I sure never felt it. And I was hormonal as anyone else. Maybe I am the weird one. Cause I wanted to have sex with Paul Newman. None relative.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 08:23 PM
link   
a reply to: NiteNGale2

I really wish I could flag your reply. The more I read into this, the more wrong I see in the handling of the situation period.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I knew it was Raw Story before I even clicked the link.

They will jump on anything they can to lambast the "family values" crowd. They will use this idiot to make sensational inferences about the organization.

It's their schtick.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 08:39 PM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

Raw Story is not the only article link in the thread. Bunch of people and places are reporting on this right now. I even included a Fox News one to make sure I got the far right and far left.

As for the rest of your reply... this poster puts it perfectly

originally posted by: DelMarvel
I'm all for forgiveness and rehabilitation but at the very, VERY least this guy should have the self awareness not to work for a dogmatic advocacy group that accuses others of sexually coercing minors.

Schtick for schtick?

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I have a close friend that worked with these kind of cases in CA for years. She said it is not uncommon, especially In families with lots of kids.

Doesn't make it ok in least, though.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 08:45 PM
link   
a reply to: chelsdh

Does your friend know/suspect that when these kind of molestations happened between family members, were they less/more likely to be reported on?
edit on 5/21/2015 by MonkeyFishFrog because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Now, this is interesting. Here's a story from 8 months ago reporting this. Why is he and the Family Research Council just now parting ways?

[working on a link.]

ETA: I CAN'T CONFIRM THAT THIS IS ACTUALLY FROM 8 MONTHS AGO SO DISREGARD.

edit on 21-5-2015 by DelMarvel because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 08:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: DelMarvel
I'm all for forgiveness and rehabilitation but at the very, VERY least this guy should have the self awareness not to work for a dogmatic advocacy group that accuses others of sexually coercing minors.

Exactly! I find that weird. Anyhow, I have 14 and 15 year old boys and I would call the cops and evict their asses so quick if such a thing happened, probably have to call the cops on myself for beating the kid who abused another, but that's besides the point. Its not right for this guy to have had continued access to his siblings and doing it more than once is inexcusable and shows a dangerous pattern.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 08:52 PM
link   
a reply to: MonkeyFishFrog

Definitely less likely to be reported

On top of my therapist friend, I personally know two families that had similar incidents. And they were large families also.

I, in no way, think large families are bad. It's just a lot harder to keep tabs when there are so many kids (only 7 in these other families). One had very absent parents, the other had a stay at home mom, that worked off and on, part time.

It's quite sad.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 08:54 PM
link   
This is being played off as "Just a little mistake" and that "immediate action was taken by the family" and so forth. But that isn't how it happened at all. Immediate action was taken to slip this all under the carpet but it got out anyway because some details were written down, placed inside a book which was later lent out to someone who read it and reported it which launched an investigation.

Jim Bob Duggar waited more than a year after his son, Josh, confessed to sexually molesting several female minors before contacting police, In Touch Magazine is reporting exclusively, based on information contained in the official police report.

What’s more, Jim Bob informed the elders of his church about Joshua’s actions and they waited three months before contacting authorities. The explosive new information is contained in a Springdale, Ark., police report obtained by In Touch magazine.

The report has been hidden since 2006 and was just obtained by the mag through a Freedom of information Act request. Jim Bob also refused to allow police to interview Josh when they opened a felony investigation in 2006.

Jim Bob then “met with the elders of his church and told them what was going on.” No one alerted the police or any other law enforcement agency. Instead they decided to send Josh to a “program [that] consisted of hard physical work and counseling.

Asked about the training center that Jim Bob said Josh was sent to, Michelle told police, according to the report, “it was not really a training center. Det. [Darrell] Hignite asked if the guy [redacted, Josh] talked to was a certified counselor. She said no. She said it was a guy they know in Little Rock that is remodeling a building.

For more...

This is the guy who was Executive Director of The Family Research Council. Which btw is listed as a Hate Group who is Anti-Gay, Anti-Abortion, Anti-Birth Control and is supposed to have the moral high ground and wants to tell everyone what good family values are all about. Please......
edit on 21-5-2015 by mOjOm because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 08:58 PM
link   
a reply to: chelsdh

Yeah, that's what I suspected. I've heard stories too, about large families, but mostly anecdotal. I also don't think that a large family means that this is an inevitability.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 09:01 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

This whole situation is hinky. Parents claim that Josh came forward first but police reports clearly state that Jim Bob found out from one of his daughters first. This is like a blueprint of exactly how NOT to handle a situation such as this.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 09:06 PM
link   
The hypocrisy is strong with this one!

Last December, Duggar led a successful campaign to defeat a LGBT nondiscrimination measure in Fayetteville, Arkansas, which he said jeopardized the safety of children during an interview on the FRC radio program “Washington Watch”:

Michelle Duggar also ran a robocall pushing for the repeal of the city’s nondiscrimination ordinance, which she warned would empower “child predators” to threaten “the safety and innocence of a child.”

Right Wing Watch

Ya right. Watch out for those gays. They're gonna get your children. What a bunch of clowns.
edit on 21-5-2015 by mOjOm because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 09:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther
I knew it was Raw Story before I even clicked the link.

They will jump on anything they can to lambast the "family values" crowd. They will use this idiot to make sensational inferences about the organization.

It's their schtick.

That's right attack the source and not the holier than thou hypocrites that want to tell everyone else how to live their lives.

I think you should review this....expecially #5

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 09:16 PM
link   
These articles are worth taking a look at if you're interested in the subject. The Duggars are/were apparently heavily involved with a Bill Gothard and his home school organization. Gothard has been accused of encouraging and participating in sexual molestation of underage girls. Here's one pertinent selection:

Many critics, including Recovering Grace, an organization dedicated to giving voice and offering support to former Gothards' adherents, have not only gathered stories of Gothard's assaultive behavior but have written about the way that the entire culture of the organization was built around blaming sexual abuse on the sins of the victim. One such example was from the "Lessons of Moral Failure", which teaches families how to deal with issues of child abuse and molestation. They discouraged engagement with formal authorities or removing the abuser from the home while they are in treatment (which is usually considered a minimal precaution in such cases). Rather, every transgression was a call for the family's patriarch to insist on greater moral purity for the entire family, including the victim.

One scenario included an older brother who was found to be molesting his younger siblings. The cause? His younger siblings' lack of modesty. His siblings were often coming out of the bath without their towels, which was the first problem. Secondly, the younger sisters "used to wear dresses, but they were young and not yet aware of modesty. They did not behave in them as they should." I worked for quite a while counseling young people who had committed sexual offenses, including ones who assaulted their younger siblings. It likely comes as no surprise that not only is the reasons ascribed to his crime offensive, but it is absurd as well. In fact, helping to dispel ideas that blame the victim was part of the treatment protocol. This scenario does definitely speak to the Gothard view that girls and women were constantly tempting men into sin through exposure to their flesh though, which often inform all sorts of life choices.

shoebat.com...

powderroom.kinja.com...

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 09:37 PM
link   
a reply to: DelMarvel

Wow. I can't believe these people are the one's starting Family Based Organizations and Centers of Morality which try and teach everyday people how to raise a family and how to be good moral people. Talk about the blind leading the blind.

You know what's weird is the other day I was watching something and just a brief comment was being talked about in regard to The Manson Family and Charles Manson's unique method of mind control he used on those in his little cult. After reading this stuff and how it's blaming the victim for the sexual abuse that occurs it reminded me of something interesting I heard about the Manson thing.

What Manson used as his method of Controlling his Flock was something similar to Blaming the Victim. What he'd do is he'd get these young troubled kids and bring them together and then he'd sexually abuse and shame them in front of the other members. What that did was it would cause such a dramatic effect of shame within them and such a destruction of their own pride in themselves that they would effectively lose all self confidence and strength within themselves and make them loyal and under the will of Manson. He basically broke them of any self worth by removing all pride within them by shame and sexual abuse in a group setting.

Now, that may be a bit more extreme than what is happening here but it does seem to me, as a non-professional in this area, to be somewhat similar though. Being that this is also being used by a group of people who promote total Submission of Wife to Husband and very Patriarchal type environment seems connected in some way.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 10:16 PM
link   
a reply to: DelMarvel

That has got to be one of the scariest things I've read on ATS. To think people actually buy into this kind of system is unfathomable.

Rather, every transgression was a call for the family's patriarch to insist on greater moral purity for the entire family, including the victim.

This sounds similar to the very statement the Duggar parents released in response to their son.

"... That dark and difficult time caused us to seek God like never before." Their statement continues, "Even though we would never choose to go through something so terrible, each one of our family members drew closer to God..."

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 11:07 PM
link   
'Cuz he knew it was gonna screw up HIS life' ...

How about his sisters? Did it even really stop there?

Some who are overly concerned (crusader level) with denying equality to 'others' based on sexuality and gender identity do so because they themselves are sexually sick and have zero concept of what healthy sexuality is... like consenting adults having sex/romance with other consenting adults.
edit on 5/21/2015 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 11:07 PM
link   
The more I'm reading about this tonight the more disturbing it is; not the least of all because these apparent cultists were glamorized on national television. I'm seriously wondering if the son's behavior might have had something to do with these alleged influences.

But, as Libby Anne wrote, “Bill Gothard is only part of the problem.” The problem is not that the Institute in Basic Life Principles was being run by a sexual predator and serial abuser. The problem is that the Institute in Basic Life Principles is an organization that teaches sexual predation and abuse and it has always been an organization that empowers predators and abusers. That is it’s purpose and it’s function. That is what it is for. It’s adherents include hundreds of other men who are guilty of all that Gothard has been accused of, and of far worse.

www.patheos.com...

You likely think you know all they need to know about the Duggars from watching the TV show. First of all, this is not how TV works. But that isn’t the only issue. The problem real here is that you very likely do not understand the Duggar’s subculture. You assume that they are a typical American family with an extra 16 children. You assume that your culture is their culture. It is not.
The Duggars are part of a very specific subculture of the Christian homeschooling world, one dominated by leaders like Doug Phillips of Vision Forum and Bill Gothard of ATI, whose incredibly restrictive teachings and controlling practices have earned them the adjective “cult-like.” These organizations and leaders teach that children must be trained to obey their parents completely, without question, and with a smile; that women are not to have careers and that daughters should be actively discouraged from considering such; that adult daughters must continue to obey their fathers and must marry through parent-controlled courtships; that college attendance is problematic for children of either gender but especially for girls; and that marrying and having large numbers of children is the only godly path available.
Within the last year, Doug Phillips has been outed for sexually abusing a young female employee and Bill Gothard was exposed for decades of sexually grooming the teenage girls sent to him by their parents for instruction. [The Duggars sent their children there as well] In spite of their close ties to both men, the Duggars have yet, to my knowledge, to speak a word against either.

www.patheos.com...

"I have no problem calling it a cult," ex-IBLP member Micah Murray tells Radar. "What the Duggars are doing is putting Gothard's philosophies on display as a positive thing, and they are not positive."

"From my experience, it has all the hallmarks of what makes cults so damaging - abusive authority structures, the way that people's thinking and behavior is controlled, the way that people aren't taught to trust themselves and trust their leader unquestioningly."

"I have seen a number of episodes [of 19 Kids and Counting] and it makes me very uncomfortable.”

www.thehollywoodgossip.com...
edit on 21-5-2015 by DelMarvel because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Boys can and frequently do things that are senseless. They simply haven't learned correct behavior. Unless actual physical or psychological harm was caused , this should have been ignored by a responsible press---something we haven;t had in ages.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join