It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Family Research Council Exec Resigns After Confessing to Child Molestation

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on May, 21 2015 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Josh Duggar, one of the adult children of Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar of TLC's 19 Kids and Counting show, has resigned from his position with the Family Research Council after police documents surfaced that showed multiple investigations into sexual fondling of young girls including some of his own sisters.

The first article contains Duggar's statement confirming the allegations.

“Twelve years ago, as a young teenager, I acted inexcusably for which I am extremely sorry and deeply regret. I hurt others, including my family and close friends,” Duggar said in a statement. “I confessed this to my parents who took several steps to help me address the situation. We spoke with the authorities where I confessed my wrongdoing, and my parents arranged for me and those affected by my actions to receive counseling. I understood that if I continued down this wrong road that I would end up ruining my life.”

The Duggar's family response is www.people.com... but doesn't really state anything new or enlightening.

---

I'm not a fan of the Duggar family nor am I a fan of the Family Research Council. They are perfect examples of pointing out supposed moral flaws of other people and groups while completely ignoring the skeletons in their own closets. As one person pointed out on Twitter, it is kind of ironic that Michelle is worried about trans* women touching girls in bathrooms when she should have been worried about the inappropriate touching in her own brood.

Of course, I'm hoping that 19 Kids and Counting gets cancelled but I hope that people will hold Family Research Council to task in the future when it comes to their lobbying.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 07:19 PM
link   
So if one person does something wrong we need to condemn an entire organization now? I don't know of any organization that could survive that standard. Also, it apparently was already addressed by law enforcement and handled when he was a minor. Are you incapable of forgiving someone for something they did in their past?

I don't know who these people are and I have never seen this show, but your condemnation seems harsh and illogical to someone looking in at this OP.

link   
a reply to: MonkeyFishFrog

Classic American Hillbillies.

link   
I don't agree with the Duggar's religious beliefs, or their lobbying. That being said, I think how the family reacted at the time to their sons confession of sexual misconduct was a step in the right direction. He and his parents took responsibility for his actions, and took steps to prevent further misconduct. This is more than a lot of parents, or perpetrators usually do.

Hopefully the counselling was enough to help Duggar and the other party/s involved.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 07:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

I'm incapable of forgiving someone who did this 5 times. I might understand if it happened once because he was a teenager, hormonal and confused, but he went on to do it another 4 times, sometimes whilst his victims were sleeping and to his own siblings.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Well how can they watch their kids when they have 20 of them? I always knew something bad would come from that.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 07:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct
I don't agree with the Duggar's religious beliefs, or their lobbying. That being said, I think how the family reacted at the time to their sons confession of sexual misconduct was a step in the right direction. He and his parents took responsibility for his actions, and took steps to prevent further misconduct. This is more than a lot of parents, or perpetrators usually do.

Hopefully the counselling was enough to help Duggar and the other party/s involved.

Oh, this is a religious family? That explains the OP's open disdain for them.

I absolutely agree that they showed a great deal of personal responsibility in the way they handled this situation. Rather than hide it as a 'family secret' they addressed it in the light of day. That is rare this day and age.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

True, but I still feel like it was something they tried to sweep under the carpet, particularly because some of the victims were within their own family. I think it is easier to convince family members against pressing charges than someone outside the family.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 07:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: MonkeyFishFrog

I'm incapable of forgiving someone who did this 5 times.

Being incapable of forgiveness is not something you should be proud of...just saying.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 07:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: MonkeyFishFrog

... it is kind of ironic that Michelle is worried about trans* women touching girls in bathrooms when she should have been worried about the inappropriate touching in her own brood.

You're right, its not the trans*women she needs to worry about.
Why are people are so worried about where a trans person goes
to the bathroom? Just stupid.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 07:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

originally posted by: Atsbhct

Oh, this is a religious family? That explains the OP's open disdain for them.

I absolutely agree that they showed a great deal of personal responsibility in the way they handled this situation. Rather than hide it as a 'family secret' they addressed it in the light of day. That is rare this day and age.

yeah right....it's the disdain for being a religious family...yeah, that's it.....gee, I guess the incest had nothing to do with it...the criticism came because they are a "religious family" ......(rolls eyes)

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 07:32 PM
link   

In some situations, yeah, I think it is. Molestation is one of the most heinous acts that can be committed against a person. A soul destroying exploitation.

If he had gone to his parents first and told them he was having those kind of urges before he actually did it, then I could have some respect. But chances are, he didn't even come forward first, one of his victims did.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Meh. I read about this, and I think people are making a bigger deal than this has to be. It's really no one's business at all since it happened when he was 14, a protected minor. Kids are curious and experiment, and no amount of religious upbringing is gonna change that.

This is an obvious attack that goes below the belt, in my opinion. I've got other issues and better things to complain about, within this groups agenda, than something someone did when they were 14 years old.

edit on 21-5-2015 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 07:37 PM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx

Thank you. I do not believe that religion was brought up once in my own statement in the OP unless it was a quote from the Duggars. I'm more angry that they are a family that purport to be morally superior to others when they are no better than the rest of us. They've been given a gigantic platform to spread their message and it turned out to be a false one.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 07:39 PM
link   

I don't think they tried to hide this at all. They publicly went to a police station and made statements about what had happened. Just because they're on "reality tv" doesn't mean they're going to openly air the skeletons in their closet.

The public being outraged over this news is so typical of the times. If his victims and he have worked things out, then so be it, let them live. Not every victim of sexual abuse has to live forever as a mourning pariah, never able to live a normal life again. Not every teenager who acts out sexually is incapable of being rehabilitated through counselling or even determination.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 07:44 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

Like I said, if it were a one off case, I could be more understanding. However, it was 5 separate occasions and victims. At 14, he may not have fully understood the severity of what he was doing, but he knew enough to attempt it when the young girls were sleeping. That is scary and horrific.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 07:51 PM
link   

but he knew enough to attempt it when the young girls were sleeping.

I missed that part. I imagine a big family like that, you've got kids changing other kids diapers, bathing with their brothers and sisters, sleeping together at times, wearing each others clothes..... Boundaries are few and far between....but you're right, sneaking into their room while they're asleep is a little too creepy!

How is it that we know about this, though!? What kind of stunt is this!? These kids were minors and these records should be off limits. Shouldn't they?

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 08:03 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

I'm not sure why the records weren't sealed but it was an anonymous tip to Harpo Productions prior to an interview that gave light the documents. Reading through some of the information again, it turns out the 4 of his victims were siblings and 1 outside the family. If I had to wager, I think it was either the unrelated victim or a family member of that person that probably tipped off Harpo to the existence of the police report.

I found another article that clears up some confusion here about where the information came from (FOIA) and that it wasn't Josh that originally came forward, it was one of his siblings that told their father about the incidents.

The report explains that after a family friend became aware of the situation upon finding a letter that detailed the incidents that had been left in a book loaned to the friend by a member of the Duggar family, a call was made to the Child Abuse Hotline, which led to the Crimes Against Children and the Springdale Police Department investigating the case in 2006.

It was 3 years too late to file charges but I think by the time this investigation started, Josh was no longer a minor and his records were not subject to be sealed.
edit on 5/21/2015 by MonkeyFishFrog because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

They went to talk with the police after someone at Harpo Productions (Oprah) hot-lined the family. The Duggars were in Chicago to tape an episode on the Oprah show and someone emailed Harpo/Oprah to let them know what the family was really like.

The only action that the parents took was to send their son away for a few months for "counseling" (reports are that Josh was sent to help someone remodel their home).

The only police official they talked to before all of this was leaked was a family friend who was a state trooper. Josh received a scolding/stern warning from the trooper. Nothing was officially reported by the Duggars.

Here is a link to the 2006 police report: Springdale Police Department Offense Report

I care not one whit about the Duggars tv show or their beliefs but I do care that the appearance of all this indicates that they were willing to sacrifice their own daughters' safety for the fame and fortune they sought. If charges had been filed against Josh and if he had been found guilty (too late now - statue of limitations), would Josh have been allowed to stay in the home with the girls? Would the girls have been removed from the home for their own safety?

If any of that had occurred, there would be no reality show.

-edit- Sorry OP! I didn't hit refresh before I started on my own reply. I only repeated what you said first.
edit on 21-5-2015 by NiteNGale2 because: more

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 08:19 PM
link   
I'm all for forgiveness and rehabilitation but at the very, VERY least this guy should have the self awareness not to work for a dogmatic advocacy group that accuses others of sexually coercing minors.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join