It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 6th Day

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Fellow ATS member Mugly mentioned the movie The 6th Day in another thread. That reminded me that I had it in my "watch later" thing on youtube, so I watched it last night. I thought it was an entertaining movie. There were a lot of car chases, explosions, and general mayhem.
It also made me think about something. In the movie, they can clone a person down to the finest detail. Then, using a device of some kind, they can scan your memories, which can then be implanted into your clone via the eyes. In effect, the clone will have your memories and personality.
Now, this leads me to what I was thinking about. What is it that makes you you? If that level of cloning was possible, how cheap would life be? How replaceable would you be? Also, say if a loved one died and you had the procedure done to make a clone of him/her, would that clone be the same person (as certain people in the movie seemed to think) or just a carbon copy?

About the movie: In the near future cloning is well advanced. Human cloning is illegal, though. Adam Gibson (played by Arnold Schwarzenegger) returns home from an outing, only to find that somebody has taken his place; a clone, in fact. What follows is a deadly game of cat and mouse as he tries to discover the truth about what is going on and get his family back.

More about the movie: The 6th Day
Here is the movie:

Fun fact: Michael Rooker (who played Merle on The Walking Dead) is in this movie.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 05:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

Well if the clone is EXACTLY like you, then it's You! As long as it has, down to a 'T' the mannerism's, habits, etc... Then it's the same thing right? Inquiring minds want to know!? LOL!!

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 05:38 PM
link   

dude you should watch the show orphan black.
it is amazing. deals with cloning.
the main actress (tayana maslany) does an amazing job.
she plays like 11 different versions of 'her' by the end of season one. she is an amazing actress.

it deals with your question(among other things) of what makes you, you.
nature vs nurture.
ethics
etc etc

its a good watch

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Mugly

I'll look for it. Thanks for the suggestion.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: SyxPak

I guess what I'm driving at is will it have your soul? Scientists have been unable to find the soul but do they truly know how to define it?

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 06:40 PM
link   

I know what you are saying Bro. But are not our desires, actions, everything about us derived from our soul? My thinking is , yes. But I have been wrong before. Once. LMFAO!!!!

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 06:44 PM
link   

you will love it if youre into the clone thing.

i cant get enough of it.

helena is one of my favorite characters ever

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 07:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Mugly

So that's where you got your avatar. I didn't know if it was from a show or what.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 07:57 PM
link   

As far as I know they are. Can they be transferred to a carbon copy?

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 11:17 PM
link   

I say Yes they can be copied identically, producing another exact You, or Me! Anyone really!!! Also here's a kicker, considering all that, what about transfering a soul into another duplicate body all together? Like My soul, for instance, not going to My copy, but to another completely different person's copy? What a Trip that would be!! LOL!!!

edit on 21-5-2015 by SyxPak because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 12:46 AM
link   

That would be a trip. I'd love a body transplant.
Imagine if it was possible you could do anything you wanted, no matter how stupid or dangerous, and you'd be okay as long as they could still get your dna.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Oh Man let the good times roll eh?
That would and maybe WILL be a real Trip!!!

Yesseree!!!

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Yep. Just make sure that fire, acid, or explosions aren't involved because then you'd be screwed.

ETA: If all this was possible it would probably only be available to the super rich.
edit on 22-5-2015 by Skid Mark because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Fun Fact: I met Michael Rooker onset while he was filming this movie when I was 12 years old. He was remarkably nice and kind, and I cherish meeting him to this day. Especially after seeing him on The Walking Dead and Guardians of the Galaxy.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 09:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: MonkeyFishFrog

Fun Fact: I met Michael Rooker onset while he was filming this movie when I was 12 years old. He was remarkably nice and kind, and I cherish meeting him to this day. Especially after seeing him on The Walking Dead and Guardians of the Galaxy.

That's cool. It must be one of those cases of somebody being nicer than he looks.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Oh absolutely. My mom and I were wandering around the neighbourhood they were filming in and we came around the corner and spotted him talking with the director. When we approached and called his name he immediately came over and started to chat with us and seemed genuinely happy that someone recognized him (some of the other bystanders thought he was Arnold's stunt double *eyeroll*). He went back to film a scene but after they were done he called me over so I could get an autograph and he made sure to say goodbye to us when he was done with all of his scenes for the night. It instantly made me a lifelong fan. It also shows his calibre as an actor because he plays sometimes such evil and dark characters but in reality has the warmest heart and much southern charm.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 01:52 AM
link   
a reply to: MonkeyFishFrog

That was really nice. Yeah, everything I've seen him in he's a bad guy. Talent.

top topics

join