It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

evp wite noise

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 12:29 AM
link   
I did a serch and did not find this so move or remove this if it has been done. the movie looks great I cant wait to see it.the site
it has a page that tells you how to get a evp on tape .I live in a over 100 year old house and half a block away from a indan barealground but my wife wont let me try it. I want to know if any of you tried it,have recorded
or have a www.whitenoisemovie.com/od site about it to check out.

[edit on 23-12-2004 by slayerfan]

[edit on 23-12-2004 by slayerfan]

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Great subject for discussion, Slayerfan. Unfortunately it seems that people here only care about UFOs, the New World Order, and the occasional insight into the Illuminati. At least, those are the only posts I ever see that get more than one page worth of responses...

Anyway, off my soap-box. I was seriously thinking of starting a thread on EVP today. Last night on "Ghost Hunters" the T.A.P.S. team EVP'd an allegedly haunted house that had some truly freaky results.

For instance:
1.) A small child saying "Can I come in?"
2.) A woman's voice saying "They don't want us..."
3.) A indeterminate voice saying "Yeesssssssss...."

I mean these things were clear as a bell... I had shivers going up my spine, and I'm at least as much of a skeptic as the old bald-guy on that show. A good site for answering some of the technical quesions on EVP is aaevp.com...

I wanted to try it in our apartment, but my fiance won't let me. There's no particularly interesting history to the place, but every so often, in the bedroom, I can hear things. Not like neighbors through the wall, or people walking around outside, but things right by my ear, on the opposite side of me as my fiance. Invariably it's been the same woman's voice (not the fiances). Occasionally odd things will happen as well. My fiance is a bit of a 'fraidycat in these areas, so I usually don't mention the fact that all the cabinets will sometimes be open in the morning, or the TV will be on when we weren't watching it the night before. She's happier not knowing (and said so).

Soooo... all I can say is, if the need calls you to it, then do it when she's not around and analyze the results at your leisure, with headphones. Me personally, I am still trying to decide if I really want to know.

Alternately you could try a place outside of your house. Perhaps that burial ground, at night?

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Valhall has a thread going, that discusses her "guest" in her house. She also has made some EVP recordings.

It's a long thread, but very interesting

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I watched the Sci Fi show yesterday as well but I was a bit unimpressed. I know that paranormal studies is in a way a science (psuedo to some) but that rag tag group that got those EVP's did not try to get everyone out of the house i.e. the little girl to make sure that their voices would not show up as the EVP's. They did not seem too impressed with their findings as well, rather bad acting. If I caught some voices like that I would freak out!!!! I can not accept that shows account of events for much more than entertainment, not real investigating.

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I've heard some EVP recordings that have made my spine crawl...

The tv show Sightings has had some excellent segments on this as well. True, you'd really have to do alot to make sure you don't pick up some ambient noise (could be a nearby house, etc. or just the way something carries on the wind), but I've heard some that were in fairly isolated sites that really blow you away.

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by jmpeez
I watched the Sci Fi show yesterday as well but I was a bit unimpressed. I know that paranormal studies is in a way a science (psuedo to some) but that rag tag group that got those EVP's did not try to get everyone out of the house i.e. the little girl to make sure that their voices would not show up as the EVP's. They did not seem too impressed with their findings as well, rather bad acting. If I caught some voices like that I would freak out!!!! I can not accept that shows account of events for much more than entertainment, not real investigating.

Well, that's not entirely accurate. They did time-stamp the EVPs and log when and where and what everyone was doing at the time. This was, however, only very briefly stated while they sat at the table. As for their reactions, consider that they do this regularly, and probably see 100's of cases that were so bunk as to not even rate mention on the TV show. As a computer tech, I see a lot of problems that would cause other people to have to buy new pants. But to me, they are just another day, another dime. It's only about once a year now that I get something interesting enough to merit a "Whoa!", which I've seen T.A.P.S. do before, in the episode where they filmed that chair angrily spin back into position. That freaked all of them out, and is even mentioned by the lead-skeptic much later on in the series. The quote was something like this, to the younger guy:

"Man, don't get discouraged by the fact I don't care about your 'orbs' and 'rods'. Those aren't solid evidence of the paranormal. For God's sake, you showed me a chair that moved on its own. That was amazing. Bring me that kind of stuff!"

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Time stamped or not why not remove everyone from the house except those that are needed for the EVP? They showed how the voices carried through the wall vents very clearly. Common sense. That little girl was a loud one as well.

AS far as the show getting results, it has to! Who is going to watch it if a chair does not spin from time to time or a crystal clear EVP pops up from time to time. Without those kinds of results they have no show!

They do not show what takes place behind the scenes. Who's to say that the producers are not fudging the results to make the money they need to maintain their show? All you see is the TAPS guys walking around the room with a tape recorder asking questions then flash edit to the results. Hmmmm.....not too convincing. (I know its a TV show ans they must do Flash edits but alas...it is a TV show that needs interesting results to stay alive, all reality shows are forged!!!)

TAPS is a very intereseting show, fun to watch and entertaining but the science is on the psuedo side. Too many variables exist.

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Well, what you say is true, it's entirely possible for the show's results to be fudged in favor of salable results. However, I've also seen a number of them where there was absolutely nothing interesting going on, just rods and orbs, both of which are most likely nothing more than digital camera problems and flying insects.

However, I wouldn't call it reality TV. I look at it more as an ongoing pseudoscience testing documentary. The guys in the show all have day-jobs (except for the one who became unemployed), so obviously the show doesn't make that much money. They spend almost as much time debunking their results as they do gathering information, and they face the people head-on, instead of remaining safely in the studio. The ability for a show and it's staff to say "Oh, well, no we were wrong about this place, there's really nothing too unusual going on" speaks volumes more for credibility than a basso narrarator giving the standard "We may never know what really happened..." speech.

I also tend to judge these types of shows (including the UFO ones) by the amount of garbage filler they use. You know, the scenes from horror movies, the cheesy reinactments, the spinning spiral, the flash to negative... all of these are worthless garbage filler to establish mood and make something seem more spooky than it actually is.

Ghost Hunters is one of the few shows I've found that rarely uses garbage filler. Proof Positive is another one, though I only have one or two episodes to go by. Unsolved Mysteries, "...Most Haunted Places", and other such shows, conversely, consist almost entirely of garbage filler.

So, while it's true, it could all be entirely bunk, I do tend to give it more credit than most shows.

top topics

join