It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Olympia Wash. cop shoots 2 unarmed men in chest for shoplifting beer at safeway

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

"If I beat someone with a roadkill raccoon, I'm armed with a raccoon."

I seriously just about pissed myself laughing at this comment!!

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Ummm...so...if I fart in your general direction...are you going to give me lead poisoning by perforation...and yell...Gas...gas...gas...?

YouSir

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 05:42 PM
link   
The old assault with a deadly skateboard. One skateboard, two kills. Doubt we will get the truth.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 05:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: YouSir
a reply to: Gothmog

Ummm...so...if I fart in your general direction...are you going to give me lead poisoning by perforation...and yell...Gas...gas...gas...?

YouSir

No that would be a weapon of Mass Destruction and would be for the International Courts.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 06:09 PM
link   
So far, is the cop the only person claiming he was attacked with a skateboard? Do any witnesses or dashcams back this up?

I mean... if this doesn't go to trial, does that mean you can shoot any two random skaters in a park without witnesses and not be indicted?

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 06:12 PM
link   
If they were in fact swinging the boards at the officer they were armed.

I agree that once you use something as a weapon, you have no armed your self with it.

I just wonder how true the statement is, no video just cops words vs the 2 that got shot.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greathouse
a reply to: alienjuggalo

Your title is misleading, I would not describe them as unarmed.

Sure, I am positive that they both had both superior or upper extremities and skateboards however that does not mean that they had weapons that would be considered a threat to life….

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 06:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: alienjuggalo

originally posted by: Greathouse
a reply to: alienjuggalo

Do you think getting whacked in the head with a skateboard would be nonthreatening? There's a simple rule that works in most cases to keep you from getting shot. Do not confront the police, because bottom-line they're going to win.

Im just saying I have to take everything the cop says with a grain of salt, I have seen them shoot a guy in the back and casually stroll over to the body and plant eveidence.

I have seen them choke a guy to death in public for selling cigaretts.

Don't you know there lives don't matter!

They were just troublesome nig..... Thugs
/sarc
And please people don't pretent racism is not a problem in the police.
edit on 21-5-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-5-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Cuervo

Olympia is appx. 70 miles south of me. Though the capital of my home State, it is still considered by locals as a "small town", and has seen an uptick in reported crime these past few years. My folks live there, and it is the kind of place where strangers say "hi" to you, and doors are held open for others.
I have been following this story all day in the local media, and the only reported witness thus far is one of the suspects sister. On KIRO radio she reported that her bother "was just standing there, doing nothing and the cop shot him several times". No dashcams or body cams are issued to OPD. There has been no other witnesses reported thus far, and the Olympia Chief of Police stated this morning that "this incident is not a racial issue". Olympia is predominately white, and unless outside agitators or organizers with an agenda flood this town, I don't anticipate a reaction like Ferguson.
There hasn't been enough information released to come to an informed decision if LE impropriety was involved.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 07:04 PM
link   
wow..i can't even believe this is a serous thread, and the moderators haven't closed it....c'mon mods....you can do better than this....I'm scrutinized for an "ill--mannered post" frequently, and this is somehow acceptable...?????...
edit on 21-5-2015 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 07:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
a reply to: rossacus

You went wrong by thinking that armed robbery means you have to use a weapon.

You don't.

All you have to do is threaten to use it.

"Empty your drawer in a bag or I will use this skateboard to bash your face in." Congrats, there's your armed robbery charge. That's "charge" and not "conviction" since any lawyer will argue about that point all day long.

Are you intentionally trying to derail the thread? Why are you so stuck on the definition of terms? It is what it is. Whether you agree with it or not is immaterial, unless you happen to be a legislator or a SCOTUS Justice. Why are you now trying to go off about armed robbery?

Please highlight where your continued derailment about armed robbery pertains to the OP. Or start your own thread about legal definitions.

I can't believe that you think the problem and argument is whether the suspect was armed or not; the US supreme court ruled "deadly force...may not be used unless necessary to prevent the escape and the officer has probable cause to believe that the suspect poses a significant threat of death or serious bodily harm to the officer or others." This case abolished the Fleeing felon rule where a fleeing felon who posed no immediate threat to society (e.g., a burglar) could be shot if he/she refused to halt.

Robert C. Ankony, "Sociological and Criminological Theory: Brief of Theorists, Theories, and Terms," CFM Research, July 2012, page 37

Besides, Should a "suspect' be executed at all when they are not posing threat of grave danger to others or the officer? Aren't our police trained to defend themselves and to subdue others? Is the use of deadly force the first choice of LE and should it be?

Think of how absurd it sounds for someone to say they actually thought they were going to be murdered with a skateboard. How lame.
edit on 21-5-2015 by notmyrealname because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-5-2015 by notmyrealname because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 07:34 PM
link   
If the cop would have taken their boards away and swung it at them it would have been considered assuault why should they be treated any different.

Simple Really.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 07:51 PM
link   
a reply to: YouSir

Even though it seems as if you meant that as a joke...

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 07:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: mikell
If the cop would have taken their boards away and swung it at them it would have been considered assuault why should they be treated any different.

Simple Really.

No guff Chet. With all the non-lethal options available, did the cop involved go to guns first? Was he boxed in, as he claimed both suspects attacked him? I'm not trying to be a LE armchair quarterback, but attempting to understand where initial contact became a self-defense situation requiring lethal force. Awaiting more info from local sources.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I SOOOO hate titles such as yours. Do you really think the dudes got shot for stealing beer? Do you really think Mike Brown got shot for taking cigars? If your answer to either of those is yes, then you are beyond ignorant.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 08:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: notmyrealname

Sure, I am positive that they both had both superior or upper extremities and skateboards however that does not mean that they had weapons that would be considered a threat to life….

I could hit you one time in the back of your neck with the edge of a skateboard and sever your spinal cord.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 08:42 PM
link   
a reply to: notmyrealname

Think of how absurd it sounds for someone to say they actually thought they were going to be murdered with a skateboard. How lame.

I am so tired of watching you defend a defenseless position. Here's a link to a guy that was nearly beaten to death with skateboards I imagine him and his family does not think it is lame.

Three of the four teens who allegedly beat a man nearly to death with skateboards were charged Thursday with assault with a deadly weapon with great bodily injury, said Huntington Beach Police Lt. Mitch O’Brien.

skateboard is a deadly weapon

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Whether this was a good shooting or bad really depends on what kind of beer they were trying to steal....

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 08:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse

Did anyone read the story?? Am I the only one that saw that one fled, hid in the woods, and was promptly shot upon emerging?? Am I conflating another story or something here?

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 08:54 PM
link   
a reply to: ISawItFirst

Did anyone read my previous post? I have only been discussing whether a skateboard can be considered a weapon or not.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join