It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Dog and I Need to Be Rescued!!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 11:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
a reply to: tony9802

Just this one thing and I'll bow out. PLEASE Don't use an e-collar as a short-cut for training! The dog hasn't been trained and needs to be trained. He's YOUR dog and YOUR responsibility and you need to spend some time and energy on training him.

You'll be doing him a huge disservice if you try to take a shortcut to training. And since you don't know anything about it, you'll most likely make things much worse. If you're not willing to spend the time and energy it takes to train your dog, please find someone who will.

/OUT

You're absolutely right, you have to make the investment through time and effort.. up until now my training issues revolved virtually exclusively around Giulio's fear and slight aggression, a couple of years later, after using ever so slightly a muzzle, and after mountain sessions with him, he lost the aggression..

Now it's just the attention issue.. and I agree with you 100% that I have to put hours per day of time and energy into our relationship, bonding, to ensure his focus is exclusively on me and not on all of the other stimulation when we are out..

I would not say that I do not know anything about dog training however, nonetheless, my knowledge is limited, and I certainly do not have a problem being honest about it..

I appreciate your constructive advice.. thanks guy,

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 11:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl

originally posted by: tony9802

"Just two pennies there for you brother. You're a grown man."

You can keep your two pennies bro, I can do without your curious? hostitlity?..
Don't worry about my thread, thanks,

Sorry you took my comments out of context. No offense was intended. None whatsoever. Are we good?

We're all good.. no problem..

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 11:35 AM
link   

I would not say that I do not know anything about dog training however, nonetheless, my knowledge is limited, and I certainly do not have a problem being honest about it..

Sorry. Communication breakdown. I assumed you don't know anything about the E-collar. Clearly, you know something about training if your dog used to be aggressive and you worked through that. Sorry about the misunderstanding.

I appreciate your constructive advice.. thanks guy,

You're welcome. There are many videos online about teaching a dog to heel. focus on you and come on command. Good luck!
edit on 5/21/2015 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Get a long nylon rope 30' or longer.

Give him as much space as he earns.

Let him wonder, call him, on the second call reel him into you until he sits in front of you.

Repeat above step a million times.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 11:46 AM
link   

I have met people who have had excellent results with those remote control collars
Yep, the lazy dog keeper would consider them very effective, they get the result THEY desire.
Personaly the result I desire is that the dog looks to me as its leader, and WANTS to obey me.

It would simply serve the purpose of redirecting my dog's attention under any given circumstance, back towards me.
A properly trained dog will want to do that, those with an e-collar do so only out of fear.

If the voltage is so low that it does not cause discomfort, the dog will ignore it, so please dont try to justify the use of these evil things by claiming it wont hurt!

A dog is supposed to be your freind, and friends take the time to understand each other.
What do you want, a dog that obeys you because he see's you as his pack leader, or a dog that obeys you out of fear?

Hands up all those that say these things are ok!
Now hands up all those that would put one on their child!

If not on a child, then why is it ok on a dog?
Please answer!

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 12:16 PM
link   

A harness will keep him from taking over the leash. The leash clips on the middle of the back, on most harnesses, and it makes it easier to have control. My dog had a pulling problem until I got her a harness. That fixed it. That is, as long as I had traction. If it was icy, all bets were off and she pulled me like I was a dog sled.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark

A harness will keep him from taking over the leash. The leash clips on the middle of the back, on most harnesses, and it makes it easier to have control. My dog had a pulling problem until I got her a harness. That fixed it. That is, as long as I had traction. If it was icy, all bets were off and she pulled me like I was a dog sled.

Giulio used to have one of those but he tore it apart.. someone else made that suggestion to me though, I will certainly try that option once again,

Thanks so much for your help..

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 06:30 PM
link   

You're welcome. I hope you can get help for him.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 04:08 AM
link   
a reply to: VoidHawk

Those are great review tips to restart with, we were doing the walk beside and behind me drill last night, and he absolutely loved it! I just need to go over all of the original essentials as you mention above and remind him who we are..

I also like the rope drill another gentleman mentioned and I will be trying that one too,

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join