It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You guessed it! Those Rohingya Boat People are coming to the US!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 07:44 PM
link   
a reply to: starviego

How very christian of you, sir.

He who despises his neighbor sins, but happy is he who is gracious to the poor. (Proverbs 14:21)

Why so angry? Does it hurt so much to even contemplate helping our neighbors?

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 08:00 PM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting

we do. We absolutely do. And we should.

I agree whole-heartedly.

Americans in general consider ourselves a compassionate, caring people. ...and for the most part we are.

But times are bad they say... I answer if times are bad for us, how much worse for our neighbors?

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 08:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
Does it hurt so much to even contemplate helping our neighbors?

Handing over your children's birthright to the children of another nation isn't 'helping;' it's suicidal.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 08:49 PM
link   

...and who says they won't make their own birthright?

Why so assured that they'll be freeloaders? Or steal your childrens "birthright"?

Or is America only for White Christians?

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 11:02 PM
link   

...and who says they won't make their own birthright?

Why so assured that they'll be freeloaders? Or steal your childrens "birthright"?

Or is America only for White Christians?

Come here legally, get no welfare, carry your own weight, integrate into American society.

I have no problem with that. Come here illegally, have me pay for you, refuse to integrate into America, and expect America to change for you, please go back to wherever you came from.

I don't care what your skin color is, my wife is Asian, from SE Asia, and came here legally.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 02:51 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Of course coming legally is the preferred method. Do you think I wouldn't agree?

But sometimes, just sometimes, humanity demands that perhaps legal niceties can be/should be set aside.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 03:03 AM
link   

Of course coming legally is the preferred method. Do you think I wouldn't agree?

But sometimes, just sometimes, humanity demands that perhaps legal niceties can be/should be set aside.

Not for entire groups of people, especially not when they have been shown to be militant. How many hundreds of millions of people live in terrible conditions? How many are you going to take into your house and pay for? There's about 1 million Rohingyas. Hope you have lots of space.

I can see expediting the process for those who legally attempt to obtain a visa.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Well hate me if you want, but my POV is that the money the government is going to spend helping these people would never go back into my pockets (nor likely yours) anyway. At least in this case, the money will be going to help people who are currently in a very desperate situation.

Besides, most North Americans are descended from what were once “boat people” too.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Send them all back,repel all boarders.Defend the borders and deport all not in this country legally.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 02:48 AM
link   
How can we continually take in people when we have millions of our own hungry and homeless people? More and more tent cities are popping up all over the USA, shelters are filled to capacity and have to turn people away. How does it make sense to keep bringing in more and helping others while ignoring our own citizens? To these citizens it is a slap in the face. How can they not matter? How is it in every one of these types of threads, our own citizens mean nothing? They seem to be overlooked and ignored while people go on and on about poor foreigners.

We all feel for the less fortunate all around the world. We all wish that we could improve the lives of all the poor and suffering people all over the world, but we can't. It isn't possible. As for the American dream, it died and turned into a nightmare long ago for so many. People have to be realistic and stop ignoring the plight of so many of our citizens and placing millions of people before and above them.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 02:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Exactly. Everyone has the attitude of "we need to help no matter what ... just don't send them to my house".

The idea of helping is great. Wanting to help is great. It's simply not feasible. America is not rolling in dough and extra land. We have such incredible debt there is no possible way we can afford more burdens when we can't even come close to paying for the ones we already have.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 02:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: seagull

But this is a little like going to the local dog pound to get a new dog or cat in that you see so many cages full of desperate animals, all of whom need homes, but you know that you personally can only take home one or maybe two. You would love to take them all and help them, but we've all seen the results of for the people who try that.

Why does anyone think that nations are any different?

We would all love to help the poor people from other nations. We all know they live in crap conditions with crap for education and opportunity. We would love to fix it for them. But, we, as a people, only have so many resources. We already have our own poor we are taking care of, and that only leaves so much for more.

Well put! I spent a lifetime trying to rescue animals and all the animal shelters were filled to capacity and even in neighboring States. People would even foster animals and they too couldn't possibly take in any more. It broke my heart and I felt so deeply for these poor animals. The same with human beings all over the world. It breaks my heart, but you can only do so much. Some people just don't get it. Unless they personally took in people until they themselves and their own families would not survive and they saw millions more down the road travelling toward them to get in and be taken care of, they just won't get it.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 03:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
a reply to: Night Star

Exactly. Everyone has the attitude of "we need to help no matter what ... just don't send them to my house".

The idea of helping is great. Wanting to help is great. It's simply not feasible. America is not rolling in dough and extra land. We have such incredible debt there is no possible way we can afford more burdens when we can't even come close to paying for the ones we already have.

People don't seem to care that we are in debt. They seem to think we are all rich while we have homeless and hungry people all over the place and millions of unemployed people. They will give you every excuse they can imagine while ignoring the reality of our situation here. It hurts me to see our citizens suffer while foreigners are taken in and taken care of. We have people who can't afford life saving medicine etc, because they make a buck or two above the poverty level and get no help! Why oh why can't people understand that? Have they ever seen an elderly person cry because they couldn't get help with medical? I have. Have they ever seen anyone turned away from a job because there weren't enough positions that needed filling and they had too many applicants? I have.

There are some people who just won't get it no matter what you say or how you say it. Let these people continually take in all the illegals, all the refugees into their own homes from all over the world, millions of them. They can't and they won't and they probably don't sponsor a single one of them. Even if they did, it wouldn't be enough, it would never ever be enough because there will be millions right behind them every year without end.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 08:01 AM
link   
A little history:

Quote:
During the Pakistan Movement in the 1940s, Rohingya Muslims in western Burma organized a separatist movement to merge the region into East Pakistan.[43] Before the independence of Burma in January 1948, Muslim leaders from Arakan addressed themselves to Muhammad Ali Jinnah, the founder of Pakistan, and asked his assistance in incorporating the Mayu region to Pakistan considering their religious affinity and geographical proximity with East Pakistan.[43]

Two months later, the north Arakan Muslim League was founded in Akyab (modern Sittwe). It demanded annexation to Pakistan.[43] The proposal was never materialized since it was reportedly turned down by Jinnah saying that he was not in a position to interfere into Burmese matters.[43 Rohingya elders founded the Mujahid party as a jihad movement in northern Arakan in 1947.[55] The aim of the Mujahid party was to create an autonomous Muslim state in Arakan. By the 1950s, they began to use the term "Rohingya" to give a distinct identity and establish indigenous claims over the region. They were much more active before the 1962 Burmese coup d'état by General Ne Win. Ne Win carried out military operations against them over a period of two decades. The prominent one was Operation King Dragon, which took place in 1978; as a result, many Muslims in the region fled to neighboring Bangladesh as refugees. In addition to Bangladesh, a large number of Rohingyas also migrated to Karachi, Pakistan.[9]

Rohingya mujahideen are still active within the remote areas of Arakan. Quote

en.wikipedia.org...

So they followed the game plan of a "we want our own state with our own laws and taxes.. until some young bucks gang raped a Buddhist Rakhines woman who died ( remember when this all came to a head...there were many stories of wrong doing on both sides both before and after the rape.... but... Islam means submit and the whole submit part is pretty serious stuff for the so called Radicals.... due to the Muslim breeding program, everything was progressing normally up to this point. By some estimates after the rape and murder and the Buddhist having had enough of the religion of peace in that area 160,000 Rohingya (if not more) were set running and packing for their lives..

Are these boat people all bad or Jihadist... of course not...is it a bad situation...yes and in a horrible way they or their forefathers, due to their inability to assimilate (or police their own) into any society that is not Muslim, brought much of this crap upon themselves. Easy to be a bleeding heart when you are not the one dogging bullets and bombs or having your daughter or wife raped by men who think she is a whore because she did not cover her head..

With the population of over 7 billion (soon to be 8) there will be more hungry desperate people who are looking for a place to live. None of us can blame them and only hope it does not happen to us too.. If you open your door for a long term guest it is common sense to open your door to someone who will respect your property and not claim the house you worked hard for as theirs after a short time..

Let them in, establish some roots, build some Mosque and it will be the same stuff all over again with wanting their own state within a state..
edit on 26-5-2015 by 727Sky because: ..

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 09:28 AM
link   

So you would sentence someone to death for trying to escape from poverty? Sounds a little harsh.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Years ago, members of my family fled Europe, ahead of pogroms and Nazis. Some countries helped the Jews, few initially settled them, and many did not want to know, and drafted policies to turn away boatloads of refugees. The United Nations High Commission on Refugees drafted a statement reflecting on this barbaric episode in human history.

www.unhcr.org...

Statement by Dr. Gerrit Jan van Heuven Goedhart, United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, Commemorating the Tenth Anniversary of the Atlantic Charter: "Fear is still producing refugees. We must help those whom fear has chased from their homes," 13 August 1951

"Fear is one the main producers of refugees. Wherever a totalitarian regime is established, intolerant by its very nature, thousands of men and women get into conflict with themselves. They cannot submit themselves to the ideology of their rulers, they know that their alternative is persecution, torture, prison, slave labour or a concentration camp, and so they take that one big step, the meaning of which is so many times unduly underestimated; they leave their countries, they cross their borders, they become refugees. Fear and refugees are two aspects of one situation. Only in a world which really enjoys freedom from fear will there be a possibility of really solving the refugee problem. "Hundreds of thousand of those who became refugees as a consequence of Hitler's regime of fear are still refugees today"

Seeking asylum is not illegal. To get on unwieldy sea vessels and traverse pirate ridden stretches of some of the world most heavily patrolled shipping lanes must be driven by fear of what lays behind. How many here would deny the Jews fleeing Hitler's regime of terror and new home, or at least respite on that journey to find a new home?

We should not persecute these people, but look at why they are on unwieldy sea vessels. How many people knew who the stateless Rohingya people were before 2 weeks ago? I have been aware of the plight of these people for more than 2 years, and economic refugees they are not.
edit on 26-5-2015 by cuckooold because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: cuckooold

Implicit in your statement is the idea that other countries have a moral or legal obligation to take in another nation's unwanted people. I totally reject that view. As other posters have pointed out, we have our own problems, and don't want to take on someone else's burdens.

edit on 26-5-2015 by starviego because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 11:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: cuckooold
Seeking asylum is not illegal. To get on unwieldy sea vessels and traverse pirate ridden stretches of some of the world most heavily patrolled shipping lanes must be driven by fear of what lays behind. How many here would deny the Jews fleeing Hitler's regime of terror and new home, or at least respite on that journey to find a new home?

We should not persecute these people, but look at why they are on unwieldy sea vessels. How many people knew who the stateless Rohingya people were before 2 weeks ago? I have been aware of the plight of these people for more than 2 years, and economic refugees they are not.

Did the Jews attack the Germans? No. these people are militant Muslims and have attacked the lands they moved into. The Jews served Germany and integrated into German society. These people refused to integrate, have mistreated the people who lived there before they moved in, and have refused to integrate.

Their plight is one of their own making.

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 11:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: kelbtalfenek

So you would sentence someone to death for trying to escape from poverty? Sounds a little harsh.

That is not at all what is going on. How much of your paycheck are you donating to these people? How many do you have living in your house?

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 06:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

originally posted by: cuckooold

Did the Jews attack the Germans?

What a ridiculous statement! I'm positive there was a incident or two throughout human history where a Jewish person attacked a German person.

But the very definition of ignorance and racism is to judge an entire race of people because of the actions of a few individuals, which is exactly what you've done by making blanket statements about what these people are about.

At the end of the day, we are all just human and are essentially all the same. Maybe if people took some time to actually talk to newly arrived refugees and listened to there story of why they left there country of origin, they might have a little more compassion. Instead of just stuffing there face with greasy junk food in front of the 50 inch flat screen, bitching about how anyone that looks different to them is undeserving of our privileged lifestyles.

Fact is, we have a moral responsibility to take in people who are being prosecuted because of there race or cultural beliefs.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join