It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feds probing alleged voting rights violations involving disabled Californians

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 12:09 AM
link   
via LA Times

Federal authorities are investigating allegations that California and its courts are unlawfully denying voting rights to some intellectually disabled residents, according to documents released Wednesday.

Attorneys for the U.S. Department of Justice in Sacramento have requested records from Secretary of State Alex Padilla and Supreme Court Chief Justice Tani Cantil-Sakauye including the number of people disqualified from voting and policies for allowing residents in limited conservatorships to vote.

The probe was launched in response to a complaint by an advocacy group, called the Disability and Abuse Project.

“In particular, the complaint alleges that the Los Angeles Superior Court has deprived persons with disabilities of their right to vote by finding such persons are not capable of completing an affidavit of voter registration, without applying objective standards or fully investigating voter competency issues,” according to a letter to state officials by Assistant U.S. Atty. Vincente A. Tennerelli.

This is rather interesting considering it is California, one of the most, if not the most liberal state in our nation.

Although the complaint centers on Los Angeles courts, Tennerelli wrote that “we find the allegations to be of concern throughout the state of California as they involve the state’s election code and statewide policies, practices and procedures.”

Those affected by the policy include people with cerebral palsy, autism spectrum disorder, traumatic brain injury and other intellectual or developmental disabilities, according to Kara Janssen, an attorney for the group Disability Rights Advocates.

So people still capable of rational thought.

Nora J. Baladerian, director of the Disability and Abuse Project, said that about two years ago the organization was approached by family members of those under conservatorships who encountered issues with the Los Angeles Superior Court.

The group found that people with developmental disabilities who came into contact with the limited conservatorship system were denied proper legal assistance by court-appointed lawyers and denied their right to vote, among other issues, she said. Those who were denied their right to vote also were powerless to advocate on their own behalf because of their disabilities, Baladerian said.

Just because one has a conservatorship and cannot advocate on their own behalf does not mean they cannot think on their own behalf, there is varying degrees of why one would need such a conservatorship. The key term here is limited conservatorship, as such conservatorship's are granted on the behalf of disabled persons who are still capable of making important decisions for themselves, like who or what to vote.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 12:22 AM
link   
I'm sure I'm going to come off to many as a jerk.
I think that anyone who is allowed to vote in a functional democracy should have to pass a test of basic mental competency.
I also think that anyone receiving financial assistance from the government should not be allowed to vote.
They are obviously going to vote for whoever promises the most something for nothing.
Otherwise we end up with a nation of lazy dumb asses steering the ship.
I do believe everyone deserves to be treated as a human being and no one should go homeless or hungry, but I fear democracy, as it exists at present, is a dying horse.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 12:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23
I think that anyone who is allowed to vote in a functional democracy should have to pass a test of basic mental competency.

Most, if not all, those mentioned in the article who may have been effected would likely pass such a test as they are capable of rational and critical thought, hence the conservatorship being limited.

I also think that anyone receiving financial assistance from the government should not be allowed to vote.
They are obviously going to vote for whoever promises the most something for nothing.

I take such assistance whenever I am eligible because I view it as getting my money back, and, I know many who do the same. As a matter of fact, nearly half the population is receiving some sort of assistance at the moment.

Those steering as of now are incompetent, corrupt, and greedy in the minds of most of us.
edit on 5/21/2015 by AllSourceIntel because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 12:33 AM
link   
a reply to: AllSourceIntel

A silent minority of lawful citizens, at times existing in a world of suffering and neglect, but capable of rational thought denied voting rights. It makes me shudder to think many have been marginalized in a way that their voice cannot be heard, personal choices discounted.
This topic is new to me, and prods me to research similar situations in my state.
Great info, thanks!

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 12:38 AM
link   
And....That MUST be a violation of HIPPA rights (medical privacy laws) on so many levels... This just goes to show you-your medical "privacy" isn't so "private" afterall! I hope the individuals responsible for this get their pants sued right off of them! They deserve it.

With everything connected as well as it is these days, and privacy taking a back door-what will be done about this violation? I doubt that much will happen to "punish" the perpetrators involved. Sad state of affairs.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 12:43 AM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

Perhaps you need to apply this to the Politicians first. You have some real dunderheads over there.

P

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 12:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: AllSourceIntel

Those steering as of now are incompetent, corrupt, and greedy in the minds of most of us.

100% agree. We are currently run by big money using the flawed democratic process to manipulate the masses in their favor with promises of handouts that they never live up to.
Historically, this is why democracies fail.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 02:28 AM
link   

And yet, that's not why our government is failing. Our government is failing because too few people are having the right to vote. A handful of people and corporations control the majority of political power in the country. It seems to me like taking voting rights away from half the population would only make that problem worse. Halving the voting pool effectively doubles the voting power of the remaining vote holders. That means Walmart gets double the political power they have now. Is that what you want?

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 02:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

And yet, that's not why our government is failing. Our government is failing because too few people are having the right to vote. A handful of people and corporations control the majority of political power in the country. It seems to me like taking voting rights away from half the population would only make that problem worse. Halving the voting pool effectively doubles the voting power of the remaining vote holders. That means Walmart gets double the political power they have now. Is that what you want?

I realize that I am walking on thin ice as pertains to this subject.
I really only want what is best for us all as a species and the planet.
As it stands the vote is held by the big money.
At this point, I'm just going to watch it go.
Any idiot can go push a button at the polls if it makes them feel better.
Democracy is dead. The rich will rule and the dumb masses will accept it because they think their vote counts.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 09:26 AM
link   

I do believe everyone deserves to be treated as a human being and no one should go homeless or hungry, but I fear democracy, as it exists at present, is a dying horse.

Nah, you sound intelligent.

You pass the mental-competency test!

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 09:27 AM
link   
a reply to: AllSourceIntel

Man, denying those people the right to vote freed up names for illegals to use...now what will they do, start having dead people vote again?

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 09:51 AM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey in the 2000 election in Gahanna Ohio 3000 more people voted for George Bush than were registered to vote. The republican Secretary of State never even investigated it.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Anyone that pay taxes should be allowed to vote. Property tax, income tax or sales tax....if you can't vote on how your money that you paid in taxes is spent....what's the point?

Paying taxes it the entrance fee to a democracy. Not that we have one...The corporate fascist oligarchy has complete control and your vote is meaningless anyway; and they steal your taxdollars with impunity!.....but still, it's the damn principal of the thing!!

I in no way expect elitist scumbags to understand this concept however.

You mean like VA benefits, Social Security, Medicare etc. You just flunked your own competency test....we paid for that assistance with our service or our taxes.
edit on 21-5-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: damwel

The SoS should have.

This is why we need to do some massive maintenance on our voting rolls, but every time someone tries to do that, it gets labeled as racist, or an attempt to remove this or that segment of society from the rolls, or whatever--all a bunch of fear drummed up in order to keep the voting machine rolling on with easy way to possibly commit voter fraud, be it by individuals or on a more grand scale.

I vote in every election when I'm knowledgeable about the candidates, but I always leave the building and wonder if they're actually going to count and if they were recorded correctly. There's nothing worse than a lack of confidence in a system in which you're supposed to have absolute trust and is one of the most sacred aspects of our rights.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

Anyone that pay taxes should be allowed to vote. Property tax, income tax or sales tax....if you can't vote on how your money that you paid in taxes is spent....what's the point?

Are you taking about a net total at the end of the tax season? I know that, at least federally speaking, tax credits and refunds often outweigh the amount that some individuals pay into the system--by your logic, they should not get to vote?

top topics

join