It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Good Eve to You, ATS!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Good evening,

Before I begin, I would like to take a moment to give some acknowledgement. I want to give some recognition to all of you here and your efforts to keep this community of knowledge-expansion and information-sharing thriving. All the way from the owners and creators to the newest members like myself, your continued patronage keeps two of the most unique and important aspects of humanity alive--rational thought and educated discussion. As an onlooker, I immediately saw the difference in the discussion of topics being held here versus other, more popular media avenues; I am glad I have finally made the decision to join. So thank you for all of your efforts, and lets work to make Ignorance fear the letters: ATS!

Acknowledgements and corny inspirational words aside, I'll take you up on your offer and tell you a bit about myself.

I am currently a student pursuing an education in the field of psychology, with a particular interest in neurology and biochemistry. As my screen name implies, I also have taken a liking to philosophy; mainly in the areas of ethically- and epistemologically-based works, as I can only take so much of speculative metaphysics (lookin' at you, Descartes).

I am also a gamer who was brought up on Gameboy and N64/PS2, but recently converted to computer based MOBA's. I am a fan of League of Legends (but not its community
) and am currently enjoying the beta run of Blizzard's Heroes of the Storm.

Concerning my background, I am an adopted only child, raised Catholic. Predominating Native American features and dark hair (in stark contrast to my pale, red-haired German/Polish parents) invited a wide variety of comments from the community of the small, Catholic grade school I attended. Being different of course gave the kids in my small, constant class of 30 an easy target for ostracization up to my move to a public high school. After the little social success I experienced in grade school, near-instant popularity as a freshman intoxicated me quite effectively through my graduation four years later. As a result, I choose to engage in "extra-curricular" activities more than academic pursuits.

These "extra-curricular" activities (no, not clubs and sports) taught me far more about society and the world we live in than I could ever imagine. I am grateful for these experiences, yet after a while I came to the conclusion that it was time to end that line of fun. It was time to make up for the education I missed while being elsewhere mentally and take on college with seriousness and vigor. It was also time to engage in intellectual pursuits, to begin my preparation for the time I leave this earth, so I can do so without despair or regret.

Thus I have been guided here, to join all of you in your pursuits, and by proxy, further my own.

HUGE shoutout to Rukia for showing me this community and encouraging me to join the family here. So as the saying goes, 'thats my story and I'm stickin' to it'. I look forward to my time here along with all the great discussions, waiting to be held!

In humble thanks,

Phaedo

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Very nice intro! I too, blew off studies in HS, but snapped to it once at a university. One must! If you can't concentrate on studies rather than your social life by at least your second year, you're not ready.

Looking forward to your participation on the boards.

liw

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 09:21 PM
link   
welcome, to ATS! (finally
)

can't wait to see what kinds of things you end up being interested in, here.

deny ignorance~

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Welcome my friend, well met...great intro!

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 10:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Phaedo

TLDR

But welcome anyway it looks like you're going to have a lot to add.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Topssss.

If only other intros were this detailed....

You should do well here - and if not, you'll find out soon enough.

Enjoy the ride.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Hello, nice to meet you! Welcome!

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Welcome Phaedo. We have at least one member who is very knowledgeable in your field. That member goes by Astrocyte. You might look him/her up and peruse his/her threads.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Welcome to ATS. Enjoy your stay.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Welcome Phaedo! I am a green member, took the plunge recently and was made to feel at home. The learning curve for me(I'm not as tech gifted as my kids) was steep, but the Freshman Forum answered the majority of my questions.
You hit upon key elements that draw people to ATS: educated discussion, and the yen to contribute and add content to the subject at hand.

Good luck & Godspeed!
Bosco

new topics

top topics

join