It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill Nyes lightsail and x37b launched today on the same rocket

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Bill Nye's light sail project goes up to space today along with 10 other cubesat's and the x37b.
The x37b mission is said to test new materials in space.

LightSail™ is a citizen-funded project by The Planetary Society, the world's largest non-profit space advocacy group. We’re sending two small spacecraft into Earth orbit carrying large, reflective sails measuring 32 square meters (344 square feet). Our first mission is a May 2015 test flight that will pave the way for a second, full-fledged solar sailing demonstration in 2016.
Solar sails use the sun’s energy as a method of propulsion—flight by light. Light is made of packets of energy called photons. While photons have no mass, a photon traveling as a packet of light has energy and momentum.

www.nbcnews.com...
edit on 20-5-2015 by PandaLord because: iPhone autocorrect

edit on 20-5-2015 by PandaLord because: Epanded lightsail info

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 12:54 AM
link   
I hate Bill Nye!

Beckman was far cooler! He had a cool lab rat and a hot assistant.

Screw Bill Nye and his damnable solar sail project!

Spatt! I spit on Bill Nye and his science guy crappola.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 01:54 AM
link   
a reply to: PandaLord

Solar sailing to other planets may not be that far away.

Just a few hundred years ago, navigators would sail across the oceans and would be out to sea for months in primitive wind driven vessels. Now we are on the verge of sailing to different planets using Sol's wind.

That said, I live within 50nm of the Cape and slept through this launch.

posted on May, 21 2015 @ 06:10 AM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

Note sure what might prompt this kind of response, cut for your info, it was originally Carl Sagan's idea.

Your post also made me wonder did you think 'Beakman'??

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 08:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: SuperFrog

Note sure what might prompt this kind of response, cut for your info, it was originally Carl Sagan's idea.

Your post also made me wonder did you think 'Beakman'??

Of course "Beakman", a simple typo, thanks for catching that.

Now Carl Sagan - he is billions and billions and billions of times cooler than Bill Nye. Just proving that Bill is a media whore.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 09:03 AM
link   

No problem here, you can think and believe all you want, but if you like to publicly bash someone who is doing a lot by promoting science and science understanding, you better provide some evidence.

Even this, idea from Sagan would probably never get launched if there was no Science Guy to support it... he deserves gratitude for that and for remembering late scientist.

To me looks you are at wrong subforum, rant subforum is somewhere else...

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 11:54 PM
link   
a reply to: SuperFrog

Sure. Why not? OK.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 01:58 AM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck\

Because it's clear why you don't like Science Guy - it tells you different thing then your preacher/republicans...

www.geekwire.com...

Here is at least simple, you can't stand him, even you acknowledge he is doing something cool...

As I said... no good reason... but you don't need one... do you?

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 07:14 AM
link   
a reply to: PandaLord

Cool news, Panda; thank you for the update.

I cannot wait to see how well the sail performs. Solar sails do have the disadvantage of moving only on heliofuge trajectories - but they have the undeniable advantage of being the interplanetary crafts which require the less fuel.

S&F

edit on 24-5-2015 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Because it's clear why you don't like Science Guy - it tells you different thing then your preacher/republicans...

So... If I dislike Michio Kaku, does that mean I am pro-republican and/or catholic?

Once again your logic amazes me.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 10:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: MichiganSwampBuck
I hate Bill Nye!

Beckman was far cooler! He had a cool lab rat and a hot assistant.

Screw Bill Nye and his damnable solar sail project!

Spatt! I spit on Bill Nye and his science guy crappola.

I also hate this little progressive agenda pushing scumbag. He is nothing more than a propaganda artist targeted towards the younger generations. He makes my skin crawl.

posted on May, 25 2015 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Whyyyyyyyy
edit on 25-5-2015 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 07:19 AM
link   
a reply to: SubTruth

Thank you for proving it is just simple BIAS and ad-hominem.

@ swanne - sorry, but this is just highly politically colored issue... and it is simple reasoning behind this...

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Thank you for proving it is just simple BIAS and ad-hominem.

@ swanne - sorry, but this is just highly politically colored issue... and it is simple reasoning behind this...

This is about ideals.......This man is a progressive scumbag. He pushes the rights of the masses over the rights of the individual every chance he gets. I have serious issues with that and so should anyone else with common sense.

Progressives have turned every facet of life political and battle of ideology not me......I just see it for what it really is.
edit on 26-5-2015 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: SubTruth
He pushes the rights of the masses over the rights of the individual every chance he gets. I have serious issues with that and so should anyone else with common sense.

Apart from rant and more ad-hominem, what this in your opinion really means? What you think best shows his call it 'agenda'??

originally posted by: SubTruth
Progressives have turned every facet of life political and war of ideology not me......I just see it for what it really is.

Don't you worry, conservatives have in print new science books for all of ya... and try to make it for us as well...

posted on May, 26 2015 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: SuperFrog

Actually I think conservatives and liberals are controlled by the same power base and consider myself a constitutional liberal on some things and constitutional conservative on others.

I am 100% against religion in science,schools,government so your argument is a mute point. I will say it again Bill is a progressive agenda pushing nut job. He puts the rights of the masses before the rights of the individual and I have serious issues with that. Am I wrong or does he push a liberal progressive agenda?

And just to make it clear I do sometimes agree with what he is putting forward but I take everything he says with a grain of salt because of the reasons I listed above. He is employed to push agendas and drive discussions in a certain direction.

posted on May, 27 2015 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Yet again, give me example what do you mean?

He puts the rights of the masses before the rights of the individual

Why this is bad??

He is promoting science, something we need in time of large science denial...

new topics

top topics

join