It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bobby Jindal Promises Executive Order Allowing Discrimination Against Gay People

page: 22
<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 05:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe
I am completely in favor of marriage equality. What I don't get is forcing those that are not in favor due to religious beliefs, being forced to marry same sex couples.

No religious organization is forced to marry same sex couples, that has not happened in any country where same sex marriage is legal. The same would apply in the US.

This law has nothing to do with Christians being forced to marry a same sex couple, or be forced to agree with the marriage, or forced to give them a gift, or forced to give up their religion....

This law is about giving Christians an exclusive right to be bigots, to discriminate against LGBT in business, employment, education, treatment, rights, benefits...

This law (and all other "religious restoration" laws like it) has one purpose, to allow one religious group the freedom to abuse others and treat them as second class citizens based on their cherry-picked text.

If he forces this law, the people should protest loud and constantly, until he is removed from office. He knows, without question, that the passing of this law will damage the state, it will harm hundreds of thousands of citizens of that state, and he is actively choosing to work against the best interests of his citizens to force his own religious ideology.

The man is a religious fanatic. He doesn't deserve to be in the position he has. He is actively and deliberately choosing to force his religious views onto his citizens through an abuse of office, knowing it has the potential to do massive social and economic damage.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 05:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: stolencar18

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

None of your above examples are acceptable, so you have a moot point.

It's not a moot point - your denial of the possibility of other examples of discrimination is ridiculous. Why won't you admit this is targeted anti-Christian discrimination?

Because NO CHRISTIAN is being prevented from practicing their faith, in any way whatsoever.
If your Christian faith is built on your imagined right to be a bigot toward other people - YOU ARE NOT A CHRISTIAN.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 05:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rocker2013

It's not a moot point - your denial of the possibility of other examples of discrimination is ridiculous. Why won't you admit this is targeted anti-Christian discrimination?

Because NO CHRISTIAN is being prevented from practicing their faith, in any way whatsoever.
If your Christian faith is built on your imagined right to be a bigot toward other people - YOU ARE NOT A CHRISTIAN.

It is so nice how Christianity is being defined for us.

Thank you!

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 06:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Rocker2013

Religious people tend to take morals from their holy book,

If the book says it's sin punishable with death, and religious societies are build to follow this book

It's perfectly normal for the fundamentalist christian, jew or muslim to to be a bigot toward gays.

Every civilization has had different moral standards throughout history.

In ancient Greece (for ex.) it was kinda normal to be naked on public, and to have sex with the same gender and in same cases even animals. ( celebrating nature at it's highest? maybe why not!?!)

That's why all pagans were seen as satanic sinners that had to be destroyed (sodom and gomorrah) by early christians.

My input is that no christian priest or church should be forced to marry a gay couple, if it is not acceptable for them.
But if someone is gay and a christian and still wants to marry in the church, then he is just being a dumb@$$.
And the church has every right to refuse.

edit on WedWed, 20 May 2015 18:02:28 -05001PMk000000Wednesdaypm by Dr1Akula because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 06:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

originally posted by: Rocker2013

It is so nice how Christianity is being defined for us.

Thank you!

I bet many of us began our life as Christians and maybe even continued into adulthood.

I hate the "you wouldn't understand what it is to be Christian". Uh, yes I would.
edit on 20-5-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 06:03 PM
link   
allowing institutionalized discrimination against anyone is a slippery slope for everyone else
just ask black south africans or palistinians....christians...btw..descriminated against by a self proclaimed master race(s)(LOL)
must really suck to be either/ all the above
AND non hetero too

edit on Wedpm5b20155America/Chicago31 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

i grew up in the one town in Ontario where the public school board war catholic
see my siggy thread
truth was descriminated against in school as is proved there
the things PROOVED there makes any christian descriminartion against anyone a very questionable practice
edit on Wedpm5b20155America/Chicago19 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 06:17 PM
link   
We're at a crossroads in terms of equal treatment, it seems. Do we turn one direction & act like adults? in other words, do we treat people fairly, and not use a belief system as a cockamamie excuse for inequality & poor treatment? Or do we go down the opposite route, and just blatantly use religion as an excuse to do whatever we want, no matter how nasty?

If people agree with the latter, then they agree with the aspect of denying rights & services to people based on being different. I could then, theoretically, invent a religion (if Scientology can do it, anyone can) with bigoted principles, and size up multi-racial people & give them the proverbial finger. And that would be legally OK.

Now imagine that hogwash catches on like wildfire. Now we have a sub-class of mistreated multi-racial people not being treated fairly because they're of more than one race. They're a minority class being trampled on because a-holes can't be big kids about differences. This isn't fairness, this isn't justifiable, it's ignorant and ignorance is NO bliss in this era. There's zero excuse for it and everyone with a brain cell knows that.

If there are any people from Louisiana here, I suggest someone get cracking on a thinking up religious sect of something that excludes Indian people from equal rights. And make sure it's executed in such a manner than Jindal gets the idea. Sometimes people do not learn, until they get a taste of their own nasty medicine first.
edit on 5/20/2015 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 06:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

It is out of our hands, though.

Law makers get to determine how a religion should comport itself in public, law makers get to determine how tenets should be followed.

The state is going to determine how religion should be followed and practiced.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 06:23 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

How is it out of our hands, Bunny-man?

Last I heard, they answer to us. If they don't, whose fault is it, anyway?

We need, badly, to quit thinking that these idiots in Congress operate in a vacuum. That's true only when we allow it.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 06:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

How is it out of our hands, Bunny-man?

Last I heard, they answer to us. If they don't, whose fault is it, anyway?

We need, badly, to quit thinking that these idiots in Congress operate in a vacuum. That's true only when we allow it.

My cynicism of politics and politicians has grown.

I honestly think that "they" don't give a tinkers damn about us, about our goals, about how we want to be represented.

On this, I'd like to be proven wrong. But I doubt that I will.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Beez, you're multi-racial, right? Did my example not resonate with you in any manner? You're seemingly all for letting religion dictate legal treatment, so would you not be really pissed if suddenly you were being refused services or have less legal rights because of your genes? If i were to create Nyiah's Church of Purity, and decided to eschew racial mixing as a sty on any race's heritage, and thus mixed people are now lowest on the totem pole, would you not feel subjugated? Never mind that multi-racial people already go through that now to a lesser extent socially, but what if it was religiously backed, and people decided "Oh, my church says it's ok to be a royal dick, so i can!" Would that be ok?

The Church of Purity would be fine to exist, so long as it doesn't trample everyone else's rights. Having that belief system protected as business rights would not be doing any of us any favors in the long run.

edit on 5/20/2015 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Although I think the state should not determine how religion should be followed and practiced,

It's religion the one that always wanted to have political power and to be part of the state (with all the advantages that brings)

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 06:31 PM
link   

It's truly irrelevant if they don't give a *bleep*, if we give a *bleep*.

We hold the power. Or have we forgotten that?

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I think we ALL as HUMANS BEING should be able to find a positive way(s) to agree to disagree on certain types of personal privacy
worship and sex between consenting adults are PERSONAL issues
not do so will likely eventually result in a state of non survival

and as to the fear of Gays and children
well
considering some of the churches scandals re homo sexuality and children...
what would Jindal do about those homsexuals?
discriminate?
edit on Wedpm5b20155America/Chicago46 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 06:37 PM
link   
N/m
edit on 20-5-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 06:42 PM
link   

well it does seem that it's the christian right that is trying so hard to get the separation of church and state done away with, that would be the next natural step!!
belief against birth control?? oh ya that deserves to be protected!!
belief against homosexuality, that deserves to be protected also!!
of course blood transfusions although some religions forbid, well that doesn't deserve protection.
well got to ask who has the power to decide for me just what beliefs I hold dear to my heart and what ones aren't worth anything?
whoever decides that is whom will eventually control just what any particular church in this country stands for or against!

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 06:47 PM
link   

In no way are gays hurt by not being able to marry and having to go the civil union route instead. They get the same rights, same benefits, same everything in virtually all states.

You are simply wrong. Only a few states have civil unions and NONE of them carry the same benefits as marriage.

And NOWHERE did I say your opinion isn't valid. You're making things up.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

Beez, you're multi-racial, right? Did my example not resonate with you in any manner? You're seemingly all for letting religion dictate legal treatment, so would you not be really pissed if suddenly you were being refused services or have less legal rights because of your genes? If i were to create Nyiah's Church of Purity, and decided to eschew racial mixing as a sty on any race's heritage, and thus mixed people are now lowest on the totem pole, would you not feel subjugated? Never mind that multi-racial people already go through that now to a lesser extent socially, but what if it was religiously backed, and people decided "Oh, my church says it's ok to be a royal dick, so i can!" Would that be ok?

The Church of Purity would be fine to exist, so long as it doesn't trample everyone else's rights. Having that belief system protected as business rights would not be doing any of us any favors in the long run.

I've dealt with that tripe all my life without ONCE having to run to government to save me.

Religious folks have their rights guaranteed by the Constitution, well, they used to.
LGBT folks have their rights protected, or they should have their rights protected.

Getting government involved will end up helping some and hurting others.

Government is not the solution!

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 07:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

It's truly irrelevant if they don't give a *bleep*, if we give a *bleep*.

We hold the power. Or have we forgotten that?

Collectively?

We have forgotten that.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 07:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Danbones
I think we ALL as HUMANS BEING should be able to find a positive way(s) to agree to disagree on certain types of personal privacy
worship and sex between consenting adults are PERSONAL issues
not do so will likely eventually result in a state of non survival

and as to the fear of Gays and children
well
considering some of the churches scandals re homo sexuality and children...
what would Jindal do about those homsexuals?
discriminate?

I've been saying this from the start.

Christians need to respect LGBT.
LGBT needs to respect Christians.

Government does not need to get involved.

new topics

top topics

<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join