It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anime Flicks

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 10:03 PM
link   
All of my friends are into anime, and I can't see what the big fuss is about. One of them recomended an anime called "Ghost in the Shell" for me to rent. I really enjoy a lot of good Japanese video games, and some of these more mature non-cutesey animes look good. Any got recomendations?

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Well, Akira is the first real big one to hit western shores and I still see it as being relevent today. It all depends on what types of films you are interested in. Horror, suspence, action, etc?

The one that I always suggest is Lain. Although it is an actual series, it is only about 14 episodes long. Just think The Matrix times infinity. Sometimes the creativity of people amazes even me.

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 05:48 AM
link   
I'm not really into anime, although i brought Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Fury and that was ok.

A friend recomends watching an anime called Noir , haven't a clue what its about though

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Well, here's the DeusEx Approved Viewing List, all rated four stars or higher out of four stars:

-Akira
-Ghost in the SHell 1 and 2
-Outlaw Star
-Cowboy Bebop
-Neon Genesis Evangelion
-Samurai X (The kenshin story, not the stupid ass stuff with his backwards sword.)

DE

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Thanks, I'm going to rent Ghost in the Shell over the holidays. What I'm into, Jonna, I like pretty much everything, but my favorites are action, suspense,sci/fi horror, and general sci/fi.

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeusEx
Well, here's the DeusEx Approved Viewing List, all rated four stars or higher out of four stars:

-Akira
-Ghost in the SHell 1 and 2
-Outlaw Star
-Cowboy Bebop
-Neon Genesis Evangelion
-Samurai X (The kenshin story, not the stupid ass stuff with his backwards sword.)

DE

I've seen pretty much all of those and I own Samurai X on DVD and i like it a lot. Ghost in the Shell is good.

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 01:59 PM
link   
I'm not a huge Anime fan, but when I was younger I loved AKira, and I still watch it now and again, it's a classic. I liked a cartoon about 3 crooks who had to act as "kind of" police as part of there punishment. Lot's of swearing and exrtreme violence/gore. As per usual. That was brutal and excellent, but I can't remember the name of it.

And they used to show LOADS of ANime films on TV a few years back. I watched a lot of them then.

But I think my all time favourite is Fist of the North Star ( i think thats what it was called). I have vivid memories of that, it was immensely good

[edit on 23-12-2004 by chebob]

posted on Dec, 23 2004 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I saw Akira when I was young, way before I actually started being interested in anime, and I like it. Definitly worth a rent. But if I could personnaly suggest you one to see, it's Ninja Scroll. If u like ninjas and sword fighting, you'll love it. It's my favorite anime movie so far.

posted on Dec, 28 2004 @ 08:01 AM
link   
I too would recommend Ninja Scroll....also Vampire Hunter D, and of course, the classic Akira.

I'd also recommend pretty much anything in the Robotech series, especially the series involving the SDF-1 and Macross City, Rick and Min Mei, the Zentraedi, etc.

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Ghost in the Shell, Is very good Cyber-Punk, Politically charged anime. I've never seen Akira, but I've heard alot of good things. As for shows I've heard Noir is a very good No-Nonsense anime. Then there's always the ever sleek ever popular Hellsing, all about Vampires and fun stuff like that... Anime isn't all cutesy crap.

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by UK Wizard
I'm not really into anime, although i brought Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Fury and that was ok.

A friend recomends watching an anime called Noir , haven't a clue what its about though

Since when has Chronicles of riddick: Dark Fury been out, I never heard of it before and I love Pitch Black, and the original Chronicles, I have to look out for this.
Up until I recently saw aload of Anime movies in HMV I haven't seen many in Englan before and I always loved watching the manga films as a kid, might has to invest in a few, I loved The Animatrix.

I also loved The Guyver films which were like live action Anime (sort of) i'm pretty sure there are anime versions of it aswell but not seen any...

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Well if you want serious anime you could try crying freeman it about an assassin, armitage is a good anime series about an android cop blood of the last vampire is also good it’s about a vampire who hunts vampires. There are tons of serious anime out there as it’s seen in Japan as a form of art for adults as well as children.

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 01:53 PM
link   
witchhunter robin was good and so was cowboy bebop, ghost in the shell,
samurai champloo, wolfs raine was ok too... and one other i cant remember its name but its about alexander the great and some mystical stuff..

-the king

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 06:39 PM
link   
If you like action, suspense, sci-fi, and well horror you should check out Blue Gender.

Its what got me into anime and its not very mainstream or as well known as many others but I personally think its great (its a bit depressing though and loaded with gore though just to warn you.)

EDIT: Ivy I just realised you necromanced a 2 year old thread. :bash:

[edit on 2/10/2007 by Kacen]

posted on Feb, 11 2007 @ 12:03 AM
link   
ah blue gender how i remember it well and yes its way good too

another i liked alot was s-cry-ed it was way cool.

-the king

p.s. holy frickin crap!!! you know necromancy is illegal according to the mages guild right?
heh jk but wow how far did you have to dig to find this one?

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Big O
(One of my all time favs, crazy xfile world),
Gundam, Gundam Wind, Mobile Suit Gundam
(Man I wanted into this world when i was a kid)
Akira
(Greatest Anime movie of all time),
Ghost in a Shell
(She kicks much @$$, BA cop),
Cowboy Bebop,
(One of the better space shows, bounty hunters)
Dragonball Z,
( You have to have heard of this by now)
Noir(
2 hot assasins),
Vampire Hunter D
(Best vampire story of all time),
Wolf's Rain
, (Post apocolyptic world, some people can turn to wolf, well there are some wolves who can turn to human)
Blue Submarine,
( underwater war)
Lupin the 3rd,
(Greatest thief of all time, and if the girl could be made human she would be the hotest of all time)
Witch Hunter
,( Group that Hunts demons, witches, etc, sweet)
Cromartie High School
,(Craziest, funniest toon ever)
Samurai Champloo
(Best Samurai action you will see in any format)
Fullmetal Alchemist
(two brothers who try and raise dead mom, now have to restore there physical selves. Great story)
Gatchaman
(Cant remember original name, I grew up watching this on saturday morning cartoons)

That's just from my own personal collection.

[edit on 16-2-2007 by Royal76]

posted on Feb, 21 2007 @ 07:47 PM
link   
anyone mention Fist of the North Star love tht film

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Akira is amazing! As is Spriggan.

And although not exactly anime (the film anyway) Death Note is pretty good too.
I used to know loads of them but I haven't watched any in a while, but there are a ton of amazing ones out there.

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Hey there!
I have just bought Ghost in the Shell, I hope it's good but I also saw Ghost in the Shell 2, anyone seen this and is it good???

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 04:04 PM
link   
man its really into personal feel....u may even love one anime and after a month beat urself couse u were watching it before

i personaly like dragonball Z,shaman king,i was a big fan of yu-gi-oh(more like yu-gi-oooh yugi go go ur aaaa(moan))

i cant believe i spend money on the lame yu-gi-oh cards
haha
still shaman king was cool couse of the domination of hao and his spirit of fire.....doing what he wants...knowing the world trembles....a real GO GETTA!and a girl taker

dragonball z is cool when i watch it my brains just feels with "hey its soo cool these muscles and power lets train some,lift some weight and eat some stake"and thats how much the anime helped me to not be lazy and train hard my body
hentai games on the other hand haha
they draw them more beautifull then the real girls

more sweat and nice too^^

[edit on 5/4/07 by Unisol]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join