It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No need for poppies: Modified sugar yeast can brew morphine, scientists say

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 02:41 AM
link   

Scientists have developed a technique to make morphine and potentially other drugs, including antibiotics and anti-cancer meds, without using opium from poppies

The scientists, however, warn that this discovery may have ‘a dark side’ as it could facilitate production of homemade drugs

a timeline of a couple of years, not a decade or more,” when homemade brewing of sugar into morphine without opium poppies becomes a reality

once the knowledge of how to create an opiate-producing strain is out there, anyone trained in basic molecular biology could theoretically build it

Source

Well well... this is interesting. If this is true, it's only a matter of time until the knowledge gets out. When that happens, we'll have a flood of opiate-producing DIYers who are using nothing more than a beer-making kit in the safety and comfort of their own homes. I really wonder how this is going to turn out.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 05:11 AM
link   
a reply to: trollz

Well well... this is interesting. If this is true, it's only a matter of time until the knowledge gets out. When that happens, we'll have a flood of opiate-producing DIYers who are using nothing more than a beer-making kit in the safety and comfort of their own homes. I really wonder how this is going to turn out.
I would think this will be a bigger threat to the dark operations of the industry that is already in place .Like MJ ease to produce at home it really is not that big of a problem as far as society goes .

Big Pharma's monopoly on drug production and the toxic cocktails they get legalized and convince the Doctors to prescribe to our kids and elderly is incredible . A mom and pop producing a personal stimulant for personal use is no big deal . Lets put the NATO poppy fields out of business and cut the funding for covert wars .

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 06:41 AM
link   
a reply to: trollz

Its well time to snatch back our healthcare, where we choose to use it ourselves, from big pharma because the side effects of the drugs pharma produces are often worse than the conditions they claim to help. We are lord over our own bodies not some government with its vested interests and predicators who don[t give a damn for the ordinary family or person on the streets.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 08:32 AM
link   
on one hand, im not cheering on the creation of waves of new junkies.

on the other hand....it is getting impossible to get pain relieving medications because of new regulations.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

My thoughts exactly. I just hope this ends up in the right hands. I just hope it is used for the right reasons.

posted on May, 20 2015 @ 08:38 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

The knowledge would be very handy in a SHTF situation though.

new topics

top topics

join